Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
rgreynolds
Established Member

M.O.C. #8217
Send a message via MSN to rgreynolds
WI-FI Cards

Going to start full-timing in May. What's the best Wi-Fi card to get? Or is it necessary with a lot of the campgrounds now providing Wi-Fi?

rgreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Yes, Many campgrounds provide, and many of us are not real thrilled with the type of service the free stuff gives. Sometimes you need to be IN the office building to access. Sometimes not. Sometimes it is NOT free. Sometimes the free stuff works, sometimes.

Newer laptops have the wifi capability built in.

Many longtimers/fulltimers are going to Satellite or air cards for thier internet access.

Suggest reading lots of areas on the forum, this is discussed a lot, and ohhhhh, on that front page of the forum, look for the little yellow ARCHIVES button on the right side of the page. Lots of goodies buried in there!

'Nother suggestion, which is not totally off subject, consider using web based email accounts, yahoo, hotmail, AOL, gmail. That way if you can access the internet, you can access your email. All the ones I mentioned above have FREE accounts. Gmail gets some of the highest review reports. My hubby, who HATES typing and email, is happy and ok with gmail. Plus you can get free online storage for photos via gmail, easy to learn, easy to use, and FREE.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have used both the satellite approach and now the aircard or wireless modem. My reasons for switching to the aircard include:
  • Using Skype is awkward and slow
  • Equipment is too bulky and difficult to transport
  • Receiver too difficult to setup and acquire connection
  • Having a clear view of the southern sky is impossible in some very beautiful parks
My reasons for going with satellite in the first place were that my home site was on the edge of a cell phone service area and the assumption that service would be poor under a metal roof. If you choose the Aircard route, I suggest you contact Alex Sian at evdo.com for help in determining which service and what equipment.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Carol told it just like it is!! Thats why I now have the verizon air card.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:00 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Same here.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Us, too. We were trying to save money by using CG "WiFi". But we encountered so many bad connections and a bad definition of "WiFi" (you had to go to office and plug in your computer). We had several late charges on credit cards because the payment didn't go through and it doesn't take many of those to equal the price of the air card for a month. So far, the air card has been great. I haven't even used the antenna I purchased. Ours is the USB model so I can use it on both the desktop and laptop. It is really neat to be driving down the road and on the internet. (Ed driving, me on internet).
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We are very pleased with our Verizon aircard. I used it when I was traveling while working and now we use it while in our Monty. When using WIFI, there were many times when there was no connection and now rare is the time when we can not get on line. We even use the card in our stick home, saving the cable internet fee in addition to paying another when traveling. We don't have an exterior antenna.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Can't count on CG WIFI or any other CG internet setup. Verizon Aircard for me. www.3gstore.com for great info.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:06 PM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Going back to your original question, if it really is a WiFi card that you are looking for. First off, most newer lap tops have some kind of WiFi card built in, but if yours, like my old Dell, does not, I would suggest you look for two features, (1) one that will connect via a USB port, allowing you to move the card's built-in antenna around a bit, and 2) one that has provision for an external antenna. I found both of these characteristics in a Hawking brand adapter.

If, after all that has been said about WiFi vs an "air card", you decide that an "air card" is really what you want, then look for the same characteristics in an air card (they were originally "cards", but now many attach via the USB port. (BTW, in case you were wondering, an "air card" is a means of connecting to the internet via a digital cell phone signal. Verizon seems to be the brand of choice at the moment, although Sprint is not far behind, and there are other players as well).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:37 AM   #10
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
AT&T (formerly Cingular) is also a player. I think I need a mobile router, however, because I have signal problems at home. I got ours for travel + for use at home to remove the need for an ISP (Internet Service Provider) and to reduce costs (on fixed income now!).
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:44 AM   #11
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Send a message via AIM to Alex Sian
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by VanMan

AT&T (formerly Cingular) is also a player. I think I need a mobile router, however, because I have signal problems at home.
AT&T's high speed coverage is only about 30% of what Sprint/Verizon EVDO is today, and AT&T is expanding at less than snails pace.

A mobile router does not by itself improve upon signal problems unless locating router in a different room than your computer, gives you a signal advantage.

To improve signal, you should consider a high gain antenna attached to your AT&T card/device.
Alex Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:11 AM   #12
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
So, If I buy 2 Verizon USB cards and their service, I can plug one in our desktop, the other in my laptop, cancel the cable moden at home and live happily ever after?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:20 AM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
...or buy one card and a router, and ONE service.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:07 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Agree with OntMont. We have the verizon aircard in a router and we both connect to the router via wireless builtin to our laptops. Don't tell Verizon you're using a router, though. They will promptly tell you as they did me that they do not authorize the use of a router. So we don't tell them any more.

The aircard can also be used on the road by plugging it into a laptop. Voila, you have internet while tooling down the highway (not the driver, I hope), if you have a cell signal. Or, sit the router with aircard on the backseat, plug it into an inverter, and when you stop at rest areas you both can connect.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:14 PM   #15
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
What kind of router?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:52 PM   #16
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Ask MOC member EVDO Alex. He seems to be the resident authority on matters to do with air card access to the internet.

On edit,

I should not make too light of this, in reality, the speed you get will vary depending on the level of service where you live, and at best it probably won't equal a cable modem, but I find it quite acceptable where we are.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:27 PM   #17
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
the verizon air card is the way to go ,, in the house or on the rd its the only way and now i put a aireal on the 5er so it should be better from there as the roof stops a lot ,,
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:02 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Alex not only is a member, he works at 3gstore.com, a great place to buy these things. The router you want depends on the model of aircard. So talking to Alex is the best way to find out. You can get the number at 3gstore.com or go to his post on page 1 of this thread and click on the envelope icon to email him. He's very helpful. We worked with him for all our hardware related to the aircard.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:47 AM   #19
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Send a message via AIM to Alex Sian
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PowellsMonty

So, If I buy 2 Verizon USB cards and their service, I can plug one in our desktop, the other in my laptop, cancel the cable moden at home and live happily ever after?
the key to your happiness lies in whether or not high-speed EVDO coverage is at your address.

feel free to PM me the full address and zip, and i can research options?
Alex Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:30 AM   #20
jrhaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6999
We ordered the Verizon usb727 air card and the Cradlepoint ctr350 router from Alex @ the 3gstore. Installed it all Thursday and cancelled the home phone and dsl yesterday. Not quite as fast as dsl but very doable. Dw is playing backgammon online now and I am doing this. Still waiting for the house to sell so we can fulltime. jesse
jrhaman is offline   Reply With Quote