Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2007, 12:42 PM   #1
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
What are we paying for ????

After a long journey, tried to use Verizon cell phone. No service. Altell again. Then computer, nope that didn't work either (paying for WiFi). Got a hold of Verizon, said they would get back to me in a couple of days --- how I ask? They will call me at home. Hello -- we are on our way to NC in a couple of days. "Oh" they say, "you won't have service there either"

What the heck am I paying for? I know it won't work when I get to Virginia, so for the next 3 weeks, no phone and no air card.

Who has better coverage?

Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
It's my opinion that Verizon is by far the best, at least in my area (Colorado) and all places I've traveled either via plane or RV. I've had almost every other service, some no longer in business and Verizon has always worked for me. Come to think of it I know I used my Verizon in Charlotte???

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Charlotte, NC??? Then why did she say I won't have it in Hickory, NC.?
I had it this morning in Northern Ohio. I don't here in Coolville. Near Marietta.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #4
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We used it (Verizon) last week just north of you at I-77 north of I-70 and in April in Ashville and Cherokee, NC. We use it in VA in the Metro DC area. In some remote areas, it is sometimes poor but not for long. Same for the Verizon air card. Sometimes in the boonies very slow but we get a signal more often than not. We do update our cell phone monthly, *228. We wish you the best.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Carol and Chuck,

Yes, Charlotte, NC, as a matter of fact I had a work cell phone that IT sent with me to test the coverage remotely and that was one of the first places I tried it. Hope things work out for you, I think it just must be a dead cell where you are now. Good luck.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #6
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Thanks, you made me feel a heck of a lot better. Now, it only I could use it in Charlottesville, Va. I'd be a happy camper. Let Chuck worry about the tire that's falling apart.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:40 PM   #7
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Carol, I have been all over NC, and never had a problem with verizon. even in Charlotte, and all surrounding areas.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 05:16 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
This is an interesting thread because in over six years of Verizon usage, we have never been shut out. We've been in a few areas where the signal was weak so we use our Wilson antenna. We've been in NC and have used our Verizon phone successfully. One of the peculiarities of all cell providers is that there are some dead spots in all of their coverages. It's just like we had with our radar squadrons in the USAF--we provided pretty good coverage with the various locations of the squadrons but there were some "gaps" that caused us to have to install "gap filler radars" to provide full coverage. I know this takes it a little off subject but it was the only analogy I could think of. Bear with me, please.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:02 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We have been up and down the eastern US. Alltel has not been a problem. Spent 5 weeks in Asheville last fall. Not one bit of reception problem. Alltel has just (2 weeks ago) just turned on EVDO high speed up and down the Mich I-75 and US-127 corridors. Everywhere from Mt Pleasant and at least through Gaylord is all now high speed. They are also turning on a tower here in Central Lake. Surprised me one morning when my internet (aircard) suddenly accelerated without warning. Picked up my phone and to my amazement, the red EVDO icon was on.

Called tech services and they also informed me that our FL CG is now under EVDO. Great!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:06 AM   #10
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
We just came from Tunica Miss. through Tenn. then across NC and had survice all the way, even in the Charlotte and Lexington area.
Have you updated your phone?
Dial *228 and follow the update instructions then call again for the other option and let it update for the area.
Hope this works for you.
If you turn your phone off while traveling service will not follow you.
I found this out years ago going to Florida when I had Alltel.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:36 AM   #11
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
As soon as I do that I get a recording from Alltel saying it can't be updated and call my service provider. These are new upgraded phones. So I don't know what the problem is.
Leaving Wednesday for NC, maybe we will have service there.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:56 AM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Carol

As silly as this sounds, have you tried walking around the campground?? We have been in campgrounds with "on the line" service, in one campsite we have it, down the way 20 campsites, there would be NO service.

Unlike awaywego, we have never had trouble "reconnecting" with Verizon if the phone was turned off or the battery died. I think maybe, haha, you might want to start laughing at the techo chick here, with limited knowledge, Anyway, the old phones, the analog ones, without the GPS, may have had that kind of "cannot find ya once you turn off the phone". But, the newer phones, with the GPS, are supposed to find you, if nothing else, because of the GPS.

Now, I probably said that half wrong, etc etc etc, or mis-understand.

Very interesting situation you are experiencing.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #13
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We have Verizon at our stick house and would love to find another company that gives you better customer service. When you have a problem you can be on hold for 45 minutes to an hour. Unfortunately for us Verizon in the only phone company available for us as we are in the country. I would love to ditch them because of their poor customer relations.

We have Cingular/ATT and have had no problems with our cell phones or our aircard. I think the map shows that we will have limited coverage if we are near Canada or in Alaska. Most of the lower half of the US their is great coverage. We didn't have any problems in Tennessee or NC when we were there earlier this month.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:50 PM   #14
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
When we get in an area where there are towns and stores, we will be visiting an AT&T store. Chuck wants to go with them. They hadn't even begun to investigate why we don't have service yet, the camper 4 sites down that pulled in yesterday has it. Yes, I did the *228.
Probably will cost a fortune, I just renewed my contract, but Verizon promised me service on this trip. Plus, AT&T is cheaper and the minutes roll over.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:34 PM   #15
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We all have different experiences with different cell providers. Verizon is the only one that has worked for us. We had Cingular but too many dead spots. They've probably cleared it up now and are providing good service. As for Verizon's Customer Service being poor, that too is somewhat subjective. We've never had a problem with them, but then we've only had to call them twice in over six years. Both times we were held in high regard and given good service.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:59 AM   #16
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
ONLY gave up our Verizon service because they were not covering our stick built. Our needs changed, we used to have a wired phone at stick built and one cell phone that did not work here, the Verizon one. Cell worked GREAT every where else, everywhere we traveled, cept extreme northern Michigan, and years ago in the mountains of Tennessee.

Now we have changed our view of phones and we killed the wired phone. We each have a cell, had to change providers to Sprint.

Service with Verizon was fine, customer service was as well. Ditto with Sprint.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:13 AM   #17
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We also had Verizon for many years. It stopped working at the stick house due to them not renewing a lease on a tower. The service was never good at the stick house.
We now have Sprint and works in more areas than the Verizon did. Works great at the stick house.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:55 PM   #18
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
My Verizon works great. I have been in some pretty remote places and been able to get a signal. Years ago I had Sprint and did have problems, but that was at least five years ago.

I also have had good luck with customer service but will admit I have been put on hold a few times waiting for a CSR. I figure it was such a booming, growing company that they had a hard time keeping up with the growth.

I'm sticking with Verizon, at least until I start having problems like some have mentioned here. We have four phones on our account and an Air Card.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:13 PM   #19
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
No service where I am in North Carolina. So --- paying once again for WI-Fi. Really makes me mad.
To rub salt in my wounds, Verizon sent me an e-mail thanking me for being such a loyal customer and if any problems, call customer service. How ???????
Old 08-31-2007, 06:44 AM   #20
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Great service all over the US & Vancouver even. Verizon. Had a couple others in the beginning but won't budge from Verizon. And we have traveled to more states in the country than those we haven't. We live near and work in Asheville.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote