Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2006, 05:17 PM   #41
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
That's what I figure too. Thanks Michael & Kathy.

Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 02:37 AM   #42
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our research indicates that right now Verison is at the head of the pack with air card and internet technology. We visited many verison stores in our area and "the folks" that work there know little about it..don't understand how a person can sell a product and know nothing about it..Took Glenn (2 N))and Glen(1 n) advise and called the voltage booster web site and they DO know what they are talking about. We will purchase the package from the, I am a retired Electronic tech so I can understand this stuff but have been retired for nearly 8 years now and am behind in the new technologies.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 02:55 AM   #43
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Boy, Rich, your experience has been exactly as mine - the local cell phone stores know next to nothing about Internet with the "cards". You wouldn't believe the things they have told me and sold me! I am not very computer literate but when talking to a customer service rep and them asking me what a USB port was, I just had to thank them for their time and hang up. I mean really?!? LOL That was unreal to me! I have found pretty much the same thing with customer service reps for a couple of the companies that I have had contact with.

I went with Booster-Antenna.com too and they are excellent! They DO know what they are talking about and give great support. I also highly recommend them.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:12 AM   #44
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
I am using the Sprint air card and find it works well most places. I get DSL speed, no minutes counted. I use it for work and I do a lot engineering drawings online to a mainframe connection plus other dtabase functions, e mail etc. Hope this helps
wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 05:25 AM   #45
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
John & Nancy, I have a newer laptop that only has an ExpressCard slot so the regular PC cards do not "fit".

I got my ExpressCard (from Booster-Antenna.com for about $100) and my Broadband/National Access service is through Verizon. I am only capable of receiving a National Access connection (which cost $20 less/month if you TELL them that is the plan you want if you are unable to get a Broadband connection) but at least I can go most places and have an Internet connection now and I am very happy about that! I connect at about twice the speed of a fast dial-up connection.

I have Verizon's unlimited data plan, but please anyone who choose their plan, beware that their TOS now does state you are limited to 5 GB per month but it is my understanding that Sprint does not limit their data usage. This probably won't be a problem for many unless you download music, movies, etc., which Verizon's TOS states you are not to do (you must read the "fine print"). It is my understanding that Sprint does not offer the ExpressCard yet. However, they do have a USB Modem you can plug in to a USB port for Broadband/National Access connection and could use it with a PC or a laptop which is why I chose Sprint first. I did try it but had such a S-L-O-W connection speed (it took about eight minutes to load a web page-lol) that my dial-up was about 5 x faster. I even tried Sprint's service in a larger city near us and still the same type of connection and I tried it in one CG closer to another even bigger city and the same issues. I am sure that will change in the future though. So far, Verizon has worked best for me in my particular situation.

FWIW, I have read that the regular PC cards/slots are going to be phased out on laptops and the new laptops will eventually only come with the ExpressCard slots. I know some newer ones are still being made which offer both. Just thought some of you may like to know that so if you decide to upgrade to a new laptop you might want to be sure you purchase one that offers an ExpressCard slot.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:50 AM   #46
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wannabe Full-timer

John & Nancy, I have a newer laptop that only has an ExpressCard slot so the regular PC cards do not "fit".

I got my ExpressCard (from Booster-Antenna.com for about $100) and my Broadband/National Access service is through Verizon. I am only capable of receiving a National Access connection (which cost $20 less/month if you TELL them that is the plan you want if you are unable to get a Broadband connection) but at least I can go most places and have an Internet connection now and I am very happy about that! I connect at about twice the speed of a fast dial-up connection.

I have Verizon's unlimited data plan, but please anyone who choose their plan, beware that their TOS now does state you are limited to 5 GB per month but it is my understanding that Sprint does not limit their data usage. This probably won't be a problem for many unless you download music, movies, etc., which Verizon's TOS states you are not to do (you must read the "fine print"). It is my understanding that Sprint does not offer the ExpressCard yet. However, they do have a USB Modem you can plug in to a USB port for Broadband/National Access connection and could use it with a PC or a laptop which is why I chose Sprint first. I did try it but had such a S-L-O-W connection speed (it took about eight minutes to load a web page-lol) that my dial-up was about 5 x faster. I even tried Sprint's service in a larger city near us and still the same type of connection and I tried it in one CG closer to another even bigger city and the same issues. I am sure that will change in the future though. So far, Verizon has worked best for me in my particular situation.

FWIW, I have read that the regular PC cards/slots are going to be phased out on laptops and the new laptops will eventually only come with the ExpressCard slots. I know some newer ones are still being made which offer both. Just thought some of you may like to know that so if you decide to upgrade to a new laptop you might want to be sure you purchase one that offers an ExpressCard slot.
I am using a Tosiba Laptop and I use the Express size card. My Sprint card is the size of a credit card and goes in the side PCIMA slot. It definitly does not go in the slot of a desk top. It does not interface to a USB port. I use the USB ports for the Keyboard and printers.

Regards,

John
wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:31 AM   #47
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Since I am not the most computer literate person and, thus, I am sure don't explain too clearly, perhaps this link will clarify the difference between the PCMCIA that many of you may be using and and other cards and/or USB Modem used for Internet connection (if anyone is interested):

http://booster-antenna.com/

I tried the 550 EVDO USB Modem (from Sprint) that plugs into a USB port and the Novatel V640 with Verizon which fits an ExpressCard slot and am currently using. I do not believe ExpressCards fit in PCMCIA card slots or the other way around since our local Sprint store did originally sell me a PCMCIA card and no one could figure out why it wouldn't work until I asked if it was the same as an ExpressCard. LOL Even their Customer Service people were not familiar with ExpressCards.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:22 PM   #48
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I use a Alltel Moto E815 cell phone. It has EVDO built in. I bought a Bluetooth antenna from Walmart and I use Alltel's $59.99/mo unlimited data. As Sandi mentions, anywhere you have cell coverage in the US, you have internet, with high speed in selected areas.

BTW Sandi, when Cheryl and I were in Mt Pleasant last week, I hit a EVDO signal there. Surprised me as I thought only some major metro areas had this service up and running. Maybe things are expanding faster than we thought...

My only reservation is that I am using Bluetooth, which is very convenient - anywhere within 30 ft of my cell phone with NO WIRES. However, I heard a comment once that BT transfers data at a slower rate than cable. I broke my cable, therefore the use of my BT setup.

I have to get with a phone tech, but as Sandi and others here also mentioned, going into a cell phone store and asking internet questions - and throw in the Bluetooth use - is like walking into an auto repair place and ask for a professional answer on open heart surgery.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote