Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2006, 01:30 AM   #21
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Well Steve as I stated in my most recent reply "I am far from an expert on this subject" and you just brought something to my attention I was not aware of. Thank You.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:27 AM   #22
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by texdeano

Has anyone downloaded Hotspot shield that is supposed to protect you when using WI-FI.I have downloaded it but not used it as of yet so can't really say how go it is but it is a free download.It is from AncorFree.
This sounds very promising. I was reading a blurb about it here:
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/news/article.php/3611816 - it sounds like people are becoming aware about wireless security (or lack of it), and are wanting their wireless setups to be secure.
I'd like to find some more information about it. It could be a great solution, but I always like to be cautious when installing new software. Sometimes the cure is worse than the problem.

Thanks for finding that program...

327RKS
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:48 PM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenn, maybe this is one thing I know a little more than you did but you sure know more than me on a lot of other things, particularly web design and html. I guess that's what's good about this forum, we all learn from each other.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:23 PM   #24
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
You got that right Steve...the old saying about a day not learning is a day wasted certainly rings true. I've been both a mod and admin at a computer forum for many years. Those people are simply amazing with all the information they share and the friendships made along the way.
I can see some of that here at this forum too, it's all in what you make of it and the quality of people you attract to the forums.

This security thing for wireless is just coming around finally. I'm looking forward to it myself as one day I hope to be in the shoes of some of you full timers who are banking online with wireless and so on. Right now it seems I know enough about computers and security that the idea scares me.

327RKS
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:08 PM   #25
Montana_6099
Established Member

M.O.C. #6099
(with tear in my eye)

I am so proud to have finally started a thread that has resulted in 3 pages of replys!

Seriously. Thank you all for the input. I feel a bit better, and have a better understanding of WIFI now than I did before asking the questions.

I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences and knowledge with me.

I have a lot to learn!

KRaig

New owners of 2007 3400RL. 2005 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO, 38RE, BW Companion 5er hitch.
Montana_6099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:43 PM   #26
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I have a novice way of handling e-mails so I don't have to worry about viruses. I automatically delete any e-mail with any attachment I receive unless I am contacted by the sender first and know when and what is coming and am able to confirm that e-mail. I don't even download things from my Mom...which goes over real good. But, I have been virus free since '97. Works for me.

Mike

F350 7.3L LB
2003 3575RL
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:22 PM   #27
eztraveler2000
Established Member

M.O.C. #1441
I've read a lot of your posts about WI-FI and the internet questions. Check out KIM KOMANDO at www.komando.com. Click on TIPS from bar across the top of her site. There are some tips on encrypting your network under NETWORKING. Lots of interesting info on her site. She broadcasts weekly over 500 stations nationwide with a three hour call in show. Click LISTEN to find a station near you or explore her site. If she can't answer a computer question noone can. It makes good reading or listening if tuned to the radio.
eztraveler2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:32 PM   #28
Montana_6061

M.O.C. #6061
I just happened to be reading this topic and remembered hearing about putting too much info on cell phones.......ie, banking, passwords and such. There are ways to retrieve vital info even tho it shows it has been deleted........

http://idtheft.about.com/b/a/256613.htm

I'll try an look up more stuff on this.
Montana_6061 is offline   Reply With Quote