Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2006, 08:17 AM   #1
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Cleaned the roof today

Well I cleaned my roof for the first time today. I used that Thetford (?) roof cleaner and it seemed to work real well but it's still a lot of work. The worst part I thought, was the danger, where the roof slopes in the back I was in danger of slipping off several times, that stuff is slippery! Of course after I was done with that I had to wash the whole outside because I got the black streaks down the sides.

Now I'm stiff and sore and my knuckles are pretty scratched up too, but it's all done so it's a good sore feeling.

I even took a picture, maybe Glenn can help me get it so it fits and I can finally add it to my signature.

mac

Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:31 AM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Just finished cleaning mine but I use Dawn soap as recommended by the EDPM MFGR.

They recommended a mediam bristle brush.

The MFGR also told me that the chalking you find is from cleaning and protective products put on the roof. So last year when I cleaned the roof I made sure everything was cleaned off. This year when I cleaned I noticed that chalking was present which means the MFGR may not be correct. So...I will use the dawn to clean but I think I am going to put a coat of 303 protectant back on like I used too. It restores softness to the roof.

It is a hard job to clean that roof.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:33 AM   #3
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Mac, We're going to be cleaning our Monty this weekend and silly me has volunteered to do the roof!! What was I thinking? LOL ! We also got some of the Thetford cleaner. We have washed the sides before but not the roof. Now, get some Neosporene on those knucles, go take a hot shower & a nap, when you wake up, you won't be sore. (works sometimes anyway) We await your photo!!
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:34 AM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Mac,
Congrats on getting that baby all cleaned up and ready for the road. I have used Thetfords roof cleaner on this coach since it was new, and also used it on my previous Mountaineer TT. Really keeps that roof nice and white.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:49 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mac

Well I cleaned my roof for the first time today. I used that Thetford (?) roof cleaner and it seemed to work real well but it's still a lot of work. The worst part I thought, was the danger, where the roof slopes in the back I was in danger of slipping off several times, that stuff is slippery! Of course after I was done with that I had to wash the whole outside because I got the black streaks down the sides.

Now I'm stiff and sore and my knuckles are pretty scratched up too, but it's all done so it's a good sore feeling.

I even took a picture, maybe Glenn can help me get it so it fits and I can finally add it to my signature.

mac
Be glad to. If you can, put the picture on Tiny Pic and than email me the URL. You can email me from my profile
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:15 AM   #6
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
I wear a pair of felt soled shoes when cleaning the roof. The type used for wading a stream when fly fishing seems to help.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:14 AM   #7
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
MAC
HOW MUCH TO DO MINE?

WOOPS LOOKED AT YOUR PROFILE AND YOU LIVE TO FAR FROM ME.
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:07 PM   #8
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We use the Dawn on ours and it does a good job...I think someone said they used Murphy's soap and that works well.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:40 AM   #9
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I don't know the Thetford worked wonders on mine. I shouldn't admit to this but this is the first roof I've cleaned on any of my units. Must say how much I love and want to take care of this one, huh? If I shouldn't be using this stuff I can switch to dishsoap, what has everyone else heard?

Just for the record, the most sore thing on me Saturday was my knees, OUCH, I had no idea I was doing that kind of damage, still swollen and bruised.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:55 PM   #10
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Be sure you NEVER use any petroleum based cleaners as it will damage the roof !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:36 PM   #11
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
How do you get a hose up there that will stay with you? It seems to me that if you drag it over the edge it will leave marks on the surface. I need to do ours.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:46 PM   #12
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Dick, I cleaned mine today by taking enough hose up with me to reach everything and coiling it around the A/C to keep it from slipping. I use a 5 gallon bucket and a long handled brush or sponge mop. Saves the knees. Any marks left on the edge of the roof get cleaned when I wash the sides from a 10' ladder.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote