Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2005, 04:51 PM   #1
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
To Cover or Not to Cover

Hi,

This weekend I washed my rig from top to bottom and put it away for the next month. Big job to say the least.

So here's the question. I put a cover on it, but I'm wondering if that's the right thing to do.

Anybody got pros & cons regarding covering?

Russ

MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 07:53 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Russ,
In my opinion, do not cover it. I have found the covers do more damage to the coach than they are worth. Do a search on this very topic and you will find many opinions on it.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 01:22 AM   #3
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
I covered one year over winter. I went to use the unit in the spring and the cover was frozen to the top of the rig. Needless to say, I didn't go on that trip. Couldn't imagine traveling down the highway and have the cover unthaw and blow off. I'm sure I could of run the heater for a few days and defrosted it in the yard.
I did have some extra mold growth from the moisture trapped under the tarp. This was not an RV cover that supposedly lets air in and keeps moisture out.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:32 PM   #4
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
First of all, AMEN to the Big Wash Job - I just did mine after returning home this last Sunday.

2. I think these rigs are designed to be "out in the elements", therefore, no cover. Wax it now and then.

3. Might depend on where you live - humidity could be a bad thing. Here in the "west" (Colorado), we worry more about dust and wind, and wax like mad to keep the UV's from doing too much damage.

I go without - I think you're better off in the long run. Besides, for the cost of a good cover, you could get a few good wax jobs...
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:26 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
From what I've read, it isn't a good idea to cover the Montana. When the cover moves around from blowing wind it can scratch the finish.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 02:32 AM   #6
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
If we had a place to park Monty out in the open I would not cover it. However, because of all the trees here I do have an ADCO cover. Works just fine. Keeps the leaves, needles, pitch, and bird poop off. So far on the two 5th wheels we have had no scratches. I do admit it is a bit of a chore to put on. Comes off real easy.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 03:09 PM   #7
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
you will get mixed reviews on this one. we don't do it and never had any problems. the dealers leave theirs outside all winter! some people swear by it...but some swear at it...so I guess this probably didn't really help.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:39 PM   #8
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
Have an Adco cover on mine, no problems at all. Talked to a neighbor, who has had an Adco cover for 2 years, no problems. Have no problems with moisture, scratches, etc.
Service manager where I bought mine, said the only problem he has seen, is from one that was covered with a tarp. They put ropes over the roof to secure tarp, wind buffeting ropes cut roof.
After doing a couple of times, I have no problem putting on or taking off, by myself. Keeps the rig nice and clean while not in use.
I would check with some service managers in area to see if they have seen problems related to cover use(one designed for an RV).
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 09:29 AM   #9
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Yesterday I was driving down the road. I noticed in someones yard a motorhome that was parked. It was under an aluminum/steel carport type cover. Similar to the instant garages except this had no sides and seemed to be a modified 'A' frame (not quite domed but no peak either)

Does anyone know who would manufacture these?

I did a quick web search and could only come up with tarp like ones.

It looked older but durable (like it was made in the 60's). I think it would handle branches (parked next to the garage under trees also) and a snow load better than the tarp types. (they don't make things like they use to)

If I'm going to spend $600 - 1300 for a breathable tarp I priced through Camping World I would rather get this aluminum (corregated steel) type for a cover.

I watched my neighbors instant garage collapse during a snow storm. They clean snow off when it had 8inches on it. But another blizzard, I was out with the snowblower when it happened.
Sorry for talking about that dreaded white stuff.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:47 AM   #10
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
We found information under "steel building" and "portable garages" - if you aren't in a high wind area - these seem to work well - we see a lot of these here in Central Oregon - we tried the canvas ones on the steel frames - lost it in the wind more than once, and as big as it was, was awful to stand up, put back together - 200 mile tape (duct tape) here and there - finally took it down and discarded the whole thing - still feel like we need something to keep the deterioration at bay from the Sun.

Mike & Evy Orlob
3295RK-Dodge Ram
Retired/Rv'rs/Race Fans
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 04:13 AM   #11
Colden
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4400
The best price we found for a cover is thru Auto Supply USA. We hope to build a semi-open room off the garage next year so are not looking for long term coverage. But with all the trees, we do want something.

http://autosupplyusa.com/5thwheelcovers.html

Jan
Colden is offline   Reply With Quote