Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Roosevelt Lake Arizona

On our way to or from Quartzsite this winter we are looking to spend some time on Roosevelt Lake in Tonto NF.

Cholla & Windy Hill CG's are two in particular.

All the info on both say 32' max Trailer length. I realize that's often not quite I true and have been many places where I was way above the "minimums"

Any body on Moc been to either in a 37' rig like mine?

Any problems?

From what I can gather on google earth, campground photos etc it looks like it should be fine.

ALSO

We are going to be in Az, and the area (NM & CA) for a couple of months this winter so if you have any special, must do, boondocking places you want to share you can post it or PM me

Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have stayed a couple of times at Windy Hill and I have driven through Cholla CG. My 40' had no problem at Windy Hill. There are a number of nice pull throughs in the main loop but the back in sites in the other loops (depending on what ones are open at that time of year) are also quite deep. Sure there are some short sites but even those will work as you can hang the rear end out over the desert. Cholla has more vegetation but there are a number of sites which will accommodate a Montana.

I prefer Windy Hill but the dump station is at Cholla, so there is an advantage to staying there. Either one is a bargain at $6/day (1/2 of that if you have a geezer pass). The only issue is it can be cold (we had snow all around us last year in Feb.) We eventually went down in elevation to get warm again.

As for boondocking spots, don't miss Quartzsite. It isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it works for a lot of us.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Thank you Carl.

After posting I realized that Windy Hill listed a 35' max. I looked at a bunch of CG's along the lake and all of them were 32'. I don't know why the NF doesn't get real and just put realistic limits. A couple of years ago I easily put my old 27' 5'ver into a spot in Yosemite that said 12' max.

We are definitely going to Q and doing the Circle this year. Will be our first Winter desert visit. While out there we figure we'll hit a bunch of other places like Havasu etc. Perhaps over by Salton Sea as well. We prefer more private locations over RV Parks regardless of season but we're betting that Winter in the desert might be a bit more crowded.

thanks for the input.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
As we understand it, when they say "maximum trailer length" it means from the bumper to the end of the trailer. Therefore, measuring from your bumper to the end of the Montana should give you the equivalent length. This method worked for us in many state and federal campgrounds across the country.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote