Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Flash on my iPad

I just downloaded the app called OnLive Desktop onto my iPad. I have been watching flash movies most of the day. Now my iPad works like my desktop, which I seldom use anymore.
There is a free version that does word, excel amd powerpoint but for the flash it costs 4.99 a month which seem well worth it at least for now.

grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Take a look at iSwifter. It plays flash enabled applications.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Good friend of mine is currently playing with this app, it works fine in 4G with very fast speeds. According to this friend it does not work at Panera's, with questionable wifi connections.

Article here

OnLive Desktop Plus Puts Windows 7 on the iPad in Blazing Speed - State of the Art

states:

"OnLive says that its service works great over 4G cellular connections (like the one provided by an LTE MiFi) - but 3G connections and feeble hotel Wi-Fi hot spots are too slow to be satisfying. OnLive wants at least a 2-megabits-a-second connection on your end."

So, if you have no fail 4 G this sounds really great. Just be aware that at this point, if you do not have 4 G available, this may not work so well.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
So far no problems but only used on home wifi.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
I'm laughing as I key this, because my techno friends (who in all seriousness call themselves "real" Apple people) wouldn't be caught dead using Windows. What drove them to Apples is the fact that they don't use Windows.

I use very old Windows-based software all the time, so I've never considered switching to Apple products. But it could happen. Heck my ex could one day be transformed into a human being...

But Pat sez... I don't like The Cloud. Being the electronic environmentalist I am, I don't like the aether being used for downloading Lady GaGa. So much data (and more every day) are being sent over a limited frequency spectrum. My opinion. But I know that my voicemails take up to three weeks for me to get them on AT&T's network that's overloaded from video games, sporting events, and movies being downloaded to iPads and "smart" phones.

Plus you don't own your data; it's stored on someone else's computer, subject to loss, corruption, or theft. And when the bad guys decide they can screw us up more thoroughly by stopping the data flow than with bombs, Lady GaGa and those football games are going to cease. Oh, there I go... stop me before I preach again!
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ha ha! Pat, you don't have to store anything "in the cloud." It's a personal choice.

As for Flash on the iPad, I put Cloud Browse (no kin to iCloud) on the iPad and can watch any flash programing. Now if DW would just learn how to use it. She always calls me when there is a flash video and I have to open the Cloud Browse. I believe it is free, but if not it is a one time low fee.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Mrs Country Guy; Verizon said that here in Bonita we had 4 G but now they say we don't . How many places will have true 4 G that will work. My unit works on 3 G all the time but slow. I have a truckers antena but am going to up grade to a 4' plastic antena with a booster to see if that will help. I have been all over the house , even out side but no 4 G but in jan of this year we had 4 G for about a week but they tell me there are tooooo many on it so it won't produce 4 G. What are your thoughts..sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Pat ; What are you using for a provider ,verizon or what in the big city you are in . Did you back it in that spot alone with no one looking ????sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
John,

From what I hear 4 G is wonderful, but, still rather spotty. Sorta like when cell phones were new, they were great as long as you were within a stone's throw of a tower, and there were only a few towers here and there. Now most of our cell phones are picking up calls just about everywhere. Last winter I could get calls in some remote areas, no towers in view for miles, but, I had service.

I would purchase a phone/aircard/iPod/iPad, etc. with 4 G (maybe), but, I would not depend on it to give me wide coverage. Mostly I would expect to have 3 G, and be happy with that 3 G.

That said you must remember, what I have today is so much improved over what I had 10 years ago. No more standing in phone booths with a phone cord and a 25 cent local call balancing my laptop computer to try and reach AOL so I could do my email. Now I sit IN my trailer just about anywhere in the US and do email and blog and visit with my MOC friends.

Really good 4 G coverage, in my opinion, is still a few years off.

My opinion and a buck fifty MIGHT buy ya a copy of coffee.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Sailer,

Sending you a PM...
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote