Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #21
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We have used "Happy Camper" for several years now. It is from www.1-happycamper.com. It is an organic compound that keeps odors away even in 100+ degree temps. It also helps break down the TP and says you can use most any TP although we only use Angel Soft from Wally World. We dump when the toilet "Burps" at us and usually very few clumps run through the clear elbow. We have been happy campers since using it. JUST ANOTHER SUGGESTION!!!! TRY IT, YOU'LL LIKE IT!!!!!

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:43 AM   #22
budbon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10005
We do a lot of camping - mostly boondocking. We never use any chemicals and have never had a problem. As mentioned above, use plenty of water. I like to put 3-5 gallons of water in the black tank after dumping. While boondocking we will often dump dishwater (use a dishpan)in the toilet as we need to conserve the freshwater and flush sparingly. I don't know where the smell can come from other than the vent pipe.
budbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:56 AM   #23
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
We use the Calgon water softner and Dawn dishwashing detergent. I add this after we dump and only dump once a week. AS we spend five months parked in Yuma and have had no problems with odours. The softner keeps the tank walls slick and the d/w detergent helps break everything down. We also do not use Charmin t/p as it will swell up and plug up.
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #24
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
We were introduced to the stuff that exav8er uses and have been very happy with the change from the Blue stuff. one happy camper I get a year out of a can.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #25
lenlin84
Established Member

M.O.C. #7530
We Have been on the road now for 4 years and holding tank maintenance is very important. There seems to be two schools of thought, use chemicals or not to use. We have always used a product that we get at China Mart(Walmart). They sell a product called - 'Enviro-Clean' from KOA RV Essentials. We picked that product because it is very concentrated so you dont need much, but more importantly it contains both Bacteria and enzymes. Combined they eliminate(not just cover) odor that is in all black water tanks and desolves what ever solid matter may be introduced to the tank. When I flush my tank very little solid matter comes out(I use a clear adapter in my sewer hose connection). Lastly it helps out the septic tanks of the campgrounds that we go to. Give it a try, it's the 'Blue-green stuff' on the shelf. Give it a try (no-- I don't work for the company)LOL. What ever you do DON'T use anything that has or forms Formaldehyde.
lenlin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:01 AM   #26
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Lots of water, flush, flush, flush. Then about 10 gallons in the tank after dumping to slosh around while traveling. A little Calgon helps keep the tank slick.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:13 AM   #27
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
We used to use chemicals and didn't find any that pleased us. Then we bought and installed the rotating vent caps which pull gasses from the tank vent. Since then we haven't used any chemicals and have had no problem with odors. We even put one on the gray water tank vent. Not buying chemicals more than paid for the rotating vents. Of course we use plenty of water when we are attached to a dump and flush vigorously ever so often when we feel it is needed. My only problem with tanks is the dump valves handle rods breaking, but that's for another topic.
hamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:53 AM   #28
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
We are getting odors from the kitchen sink and when the galley tank is full, getting a leak outside around the tanl area. Anyone had this before or know where I should start?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #29
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Sounds like what we went through. Crack around the discharge pipe. It does not start to leak until the tank gets full and then the crack opens up to a steady drip. We have had this happen to both the grey and gally tanks. The galley tank we had replaced and the grey tank was sealed up with a 3M brand repair product. (Both jobs done by Fox RV in Middlebury, IN).

For what its worth, Larry Fox does not think these leaks were the result of inadequate tank supports, more likely the result of road debris hitting the drain line. The repaired tank was done later, after Larry had discovered this 3M product that seemed to work well. (Don't have any more info on the product).

We lived with the leak for quite a while, for us, as long as we did not let the tank get full, we had no problem.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote