Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2009, 06:14 AM   #1
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
protecting graphics

Gee, my monty is 3 years old and the graphics are just fine. I consider myself lucky.

I read on the MOC webpage the recommendation by the graphics guy NOT to wax the graphics. I understand the wax can build up, etc.

How about using 303 Protectorant to guard against UV rays? 303 recommends approx monthly application. Will 303 harm graphics over time?

Instead of WAX what about POLISH like Protect-All. Will it harm the graphics.

Thanks for the advice
Gene

genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Gene, I had graphics added to my truck by a "Graphics Shop" in Apache Junction, AZ. The place has been in business for many years and is run by a father and his son. They "Custom" made my graphics in their shop. Their recommendation was to use 303 or Protect-all. I have used Protect-all on my truck AND my Montana since learning of this. Their Statement is that wax is actually an abrasive and could do irrepairable harm to the graphics. They also told me that any graphic older than two years should not be used. They eluded to the fact that many RV manuf have these graphics on their shelves for quite some time, especially for the older trailers. Another thing they cautioned against was power washing. When washing graphics (with a soft rag), go with the edges and not against them. I guess the phrase "Buyer Beware" comes into play here.

I did have one small graphic replaced at Kamp Keystone. It was the beginning of a swoop and only about 4 inches long, it was on one of the edges of the slide on the vertical fascia.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I know that there has been a lot of talk about the Montana's graphics peeling. But just today I saw a K-Z Inc 5th wheel with the front graphics badly curled on the edges. So, it's not just the Montanas. Our rig is almost nine years old and we've not experienced any curling or peeling.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
After replacing my entire set of decals, I've also been using Aerospace 303. Afer 2 years, no shrinkage or peeling ... so far. I also use it on my rubber roof applying it front to back ... it somehow keeps the dirt buildup and streaks down to a minimum. Although 303 recommends re-application every 3 months ... 6 months seems to work for me.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I use Protect All. It's seems to be one of the very few products that can be used on everything...fiberglass, graphics, windows, tires, metal, etc.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I have used Protect All since our Montana was new and had to replace the front graphics at 27months and many others in the following 2 years
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I wish that Keystone would tell those who have had graphics problems whether or not they have changed the company that they purchased the graphics from. Otherwise we'd all have had problems with the graphics. The older units seem to be okay. We have hand waxed our rig several times ourselves; have had it power washed; have had it washed and waxed commercially etc., over the past eight years and the graphics are still fine.

Either they changed suppliers or the suppliers changed their production methods which would probably include a change in adhesive.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Orv,

Not true on the 'older' models. We have a 2002 model so I think we'd qualify as having an 'older' model. As far as I know it has been Burlington Graphics supplying the product for our Montanas.

While at the Quartzsite gathering this past January the group removed and replaced everyone of our faded out, shrunken and curled up old graphics. Now the rig looks great. We still need to shine up the oxidized rig and then it should be back to an "almost new" look.

The graphics problem seems to be an almost random problem. Some older units are still in good condition while some of the newer units are already showing need for some graphics attention.

There has been some good (if sometime contradictory) information posted here on the MOC on how to care for your graphics.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:16 AM   #9
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Thanks for everyone's comments.

I saw the photos posted of Hamrad's new graphics replacement project. Looked like a big job, but with many hands the work was lighter!

Since I am lucky to not have gaphic problems (I always try to be thankful for my blessings) I don't want to mess it up. Think I will continue 303, avoid wax on the graphics (I have waxed 2 or 3 times a year for 3 years) and if the graphics start to dull try ProtectAll.

Thanks again.
Gene
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:23 AM   #10
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Our Monty is a 2005 and I have used Protect All since it came home. The graphics are in excellent shape. The trailer sits on a paved pad outside all winter uncovered. I wonder why some owners experience graphics failure and some don't?
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote