Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Outside Moldings

Last year I removed the outside moldings and soak them in a bleach solution to returned them to a new look white,now they are molded again with some spots have a pink tint to them in places(don't know how to remove this).Is there a source to purchase new moldings that fit in the tracks like the originals?

garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:08 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Camping World, or local dealers.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:11 AM   #3
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Awesome, a rag, and a lot of elbow grease worked for me.

You can usually buy awesome at the local dollar store "for a dollar", the rags are cheap, but the elbow grease is expensive.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:43 AM   #4
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Preservation idea: I haven't tried this yet, but a RVer I met at my storage lot recommended using Future Floor Wax on the vinyl after cleaning with bleach to close and protect the vinyl "pores". Does make some sense...
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:52 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
When we had the front end of our rig "beefed up" they cleaned the moldings with lacquer thinner. Really did a good job so now I carry some lacquer thinner with me. Have noticed no adverse affects to the moldings.

If you can't get them clean and you want to have them nice and white, Camping World carries the molding material.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
We had the same problem with the moldings while in Florida. Last year we decided to try Arizona and all that stuff disappeared from the moldings. They looked like new again. We are back in Florida, so far so good. Hopefully the Arizona weather got rid of that mold looking stuff for good. I think the humidity is the problem.

Quote:
quote: Originally posted by garyka

Last year I removed the outside moldings and soak them in a bleach solution to returned them to a new look white,now they are molded again with some spots have a pink tint to them in places(don't know how to remove this).Is there a source to purchase new moldings that fit in the tracks like the originals?
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Acetone also seems to brighten them up.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Be careful of the acetone and laquer thinner, if you get it on the white metal and rub to hard you can kiss the paint goodbye.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jsmitfl

Be careful of the acetone and laquer thinner, if you get it on the white metal and rub to hard you can kiss the paint goodbye.
They clean up really easy and are not damaging to the paint if you remove them (take them loose from one end and just hold a rag moistened with lacquer thinner or acetone and slide the rag down both the inside and outside of the molding. Also, you won't spill any thinner or acetone on the painted parts if the rag is merely moistened. You shouldn't use it dripping wet.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Warning: make sure you use gloves when using acetone! Acetone will penetrate our bodies and do major damage in future years. Be careful Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote