Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Finding Gas stations

Is anyone aware of a web site which list all gas stations in the USA. If I wanted to take a specific route and see where the gas stations are...

Thank you

BandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I do not have a site that gives every single gas station, but I do use the following websites to help me along the way. Each site will allow you to search for locations by state and some will even let you search by Interstate or Highway. They also all give their current diesel and gas prices at each station. That becomes handy when trying to decide if you should stop for fuel or keep going. You will know when one town is going to be cheaper than the next on your route.

www.flyingj.com
www.petrotruckstops.com
www.pilotcorp.com
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:12 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
There are a plethora of gas/diesel stations. The law of supply and demand creates new stations going up all the time. We have never had an occasion when we couldn't find a station.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:52 PM   #4
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
I believe that the problem with finding sations is not the problem. It is proper planning thinking you can make it on a 1/4 tank of fuel when the next station might be 50 miles away and you have 45 miles of fuel. That is the problem with driving through the plains states. Just watch the map and make sure the dot is big enough to have people living there. The more rural you get the less fuel is available combined with the time you are traveling.

For an instance when I went from Billing MT to Havre MT because of work having to drive through the night. Filled in Billings before I left and 260 miles later finally found the next open station meeting only two vehicals the whole time they being in the last 30 miles. How many people can say they drove 230 miles without meeting another car in this country. In the Northern Plains states it is possible at the right time of day. I believe the fill at a 1/2-1/4 tank rule should suffice unless you travel at night then it might take a full tank just to find the next large spot with a station open 24/7 on the map. Look at the route and a plan should be easy enough to figure out.

Many times I have seen vehicals parked at a pump waiting for the station to open in a small town. Probably because they thought they could make it to the next location that was open. Rural America is still a unique place in that almost everyone still has a regular day time schedual especially store owners. Not like the cities where life is haul butt 24/7 and a station is open on almost every other corner.
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:58 PM   #5
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BandJ

Is anyone aware of a web site which list all gas stations in the USA. If I wanted to take a specific route and see where the gas stations are...

Thank you
Not aware of a website but my Garmin GPS SW allows me to find fuel based on the map area I am in or have selected.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:42 AM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
There is a book called The Next Exit. You can find this at Camping World but it only covers the interstates. It tells you exactly what is at each exit. We had it but gave it away. We have never had a problem finding a station anywhere. Even in Alaska. But then we do not let the tank get too low in remote areas.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:22 AM   #7
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
Let me add that the next exit lets you which stations can handle your rv. Not fun trying to get in and out of some stations.
WildBigBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:23 AM   #8
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
Let me add that the next exit lets you which stations can handle your rv. Not fun trying to get in and out of some stations.
WildBigBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:19 AM   #9
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
The manual offered by Camping World will help alot.We purchased a five and a six gallon gas container when we traveled to Alaska in '04 and it came in handy twice on that trek. They also come in play when you're in a remote area and the only station for miles is trying to rip you off with very high fuel prices. I just pull over and add our reserve 11 gallons which is good for at least 150 miles and stop at the next reasonably priced station to fill all tanks. You might also want to check out the manual offered by Camping World that shows all of the road hazards on the east and west coasts. These books give you a heads up on what to expect in front of you like inclines,decents, and the like. It's worth the price to know what to expect rather than be surprised!
madeforeachother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:20 AM   #10
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

There is a book called The Next Exit. You can find this at Camping World but it only covers the interstates. It tells you exactly what is at each exit. We had it but gave it away. We have never had a problem finding a station anywhere. Even in Alaska. But then we do not let the tank get too low in remote areas.

Helen
We got ours at Amazon.com
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:18 PM   #11
Steve

M.O.C. #5785
Here's another source of Gas Prices. It's Gas Buddy. It relys on individuals to enter the current price of fuel, but it's easy to search for your next stop.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/

Enjoy

Steve
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:00 AM   #12
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We rely on the GPS and "Next Exir"
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:19 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We use The Next Exit when on interstates or even when on US highways and coming upon an intersection with an interstate.

We use The Truckers Friend (available at truck stops) for location of truck stops on all highways. There now is an RV'ers Friend that may have the same info and may or may not include non-truck stops that have room for rv's. I haven't checked it but saw Camping World had one on the shelf. But I don't see it on their website.

We've not had trouble finding a diesel station but I like to know what's available up ahead at about the point we'll be ready to refill so if I don't like the price at one station I will know I can go on down the road and find another before fuel gets critical.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote