Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #1
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Streaks on rubber roof.

Last week I washed Monty and it looks super except:

The condensate stains from the AC on the rubber roof would not come out. Any suggestions????

Gin & I(Geminis)
Where ever we go, there we are.
2004 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
Montana 3400RL

RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Radhazjoe

We clean the roof, as best we can (talking for Al here, I DON'T go up there) and then we forget it. Only can see from an airplane, a tree or when some rig is parked on a hill that is higher than our hill.

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:46 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Or, Carol, when someone is on the roof taking pictures of all the rigs at the rally. At the first rally I noticed there was one roof dirtier than ours. I have vowed to keep the new one cleaner than this one.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:52 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
Try Thetfords roof cleaner. I use it straight out of the bottle, spray and wipe with sponge, followed with a fresh water rinse. I usually use this 3 times a summer to help keep everything clean.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:54 PM   #5
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
I just washed the roof on my 3075RL which is three months old. It had a streak on the roof from the A/C dripping off the side. I used Dicor Roof Cleaner, recommended and according to my paperwork from the dealer said be the only cleaner I should use. It cleaned the roof fine but that A/C streak didn't even dim. I am wondering if use of the recommended products don't do a thing whether or not this streak may be covered by the warranty? Maybe someone else has had that experience.

John and Dorothy
'06 Dodge 3500 Diesel pulling Montana 3075RL
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:42 AM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
John,

The way I understand it, is that Dicor also states you can use Dawn dishwashing liquid. We have used Dawn on ours. No, it did not take off all the stains.

What warranty you gonna go for?? The A/C or the roof?? Either way, would you really want them to replace the roof?? First, that is a huge job, second, very expensive, next, do you really want to take a chance that the new roof will be put on perfect?? Makes me a bit queaszy, not sure we want them messing with it, sorta a, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", type of thing. Course, my comfort level is a bit different, heck, I cannot even get on the roof, so I can't see it!

Steve R., yepper, you are right, you can see discolorations when you are taking photos! HA HA, I believe you had leaf ghosts?? So, how often do you plan on washing the new rig's roof??

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:59 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I'm surprised that those who were at the rally in Goshen last year don't remember what the Dicor Factory Rep said. He told us that washing the roof was actually unnecessary and the real reason they recommend it is to get you up there to do an inspection. He also stated that if you insist on washing the roof to use DAWN dish washing liquid and that the so called made for washing roof products were unnecessary and quite often unsafe for the roof. A dirty roof will not effect your warranty.

But if you want to be really safe about what to use on your roof you can always buy DICOR Roof Maintenance Products from Dicor but again the Factory Rep told us to save our money and if you must clean it use Dawn!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:40 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I doubt discoloration will merit warranty replacement. But I could be wrong.

Carol, at least twice per year. And I'm going to use a long-handled "brush" with a plastic scouring pad on it I once bought thinking it would help remove bugs from the nose (it doesn't help much for that). In the past I've used a brush with bristles too soft to do much in the way of scrubbing.

The main reason I want to keep it clean is to minimize those black streaks on the fibreglass sides and on the wrapover part of the roof.

Yes, Carol, we had leaf ghosts from leaves having dropped on the roof in the late Fall followed by snow on top of them. Never did get those all out. That will continue to be a problem, I am sure. I will not be up there in freezing weather!

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK

Old 08-08-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
After you do what you can to clean to roof try using 303 Protectant to help keep the stains from forming on the roof again. I have noticed a difference after using this method. "An once of prevention outweighs a pound of cure" See-Ya

The hunt makes the find that much sweeter!
Dennis and Debbie
05 Montana 2955RL Spruce Decor
2005 GMC 2500HD D/A CC SB Dark Metallic Blue
18k Reese Signature Slide Underbed Mount
Access Lorado Cover
Prodigy
Weston Nerf
Ride-Rite
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:51 PM   #10
lens
Established Member

M.O.C. #5869
I just washed our roof today, used Fulltimers Roof Cleaner. It took off most of the stains, I used it full strength and had to spray some areas twice. You might also try Awelsome.
lens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:36 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Lens, did you use a brush on it also or just spray it on and hose it off (like I'd be so lucky to find something that would do that and be effective).

Has anyone used Awesome? I bought some but haven't tried it on the roof yet.

Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK

Old 08-09-2006, 04:19 PM   #12
lens
Established Member

M.O.C. #5869
Lens, did you use a brush on it also or just spray it on and hose it off (like I'd be so lucky to find something that would do that and be effective).

I use one of those telescoping handle brushes.

Len & Donna
3685FL
2000 Dodge 3500
lens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:11 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the reply. I have one of those.

Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK

Old 08-18-2006, 02:47 AM   #14
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
We park under a tree at home and it's messing up the roof something terrible. I go up and scrub it a couple times a year, but it is badly stained already. Nothing I can do about it as the tree belongs to the neighbor.
If we ever make it to a rally, I'll be the one with the dirty looking roof...

327RKS
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote