Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2022, 04:50 PM   #21
Livermore
Established Member

M.O.C. #29352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman229 View Post
With 2 100ah batteries and probably having shore power each night to charge when traveling, do I need to charge going down the road? Can I just disconnect the 12v charging wire from the pigtail? (in case you haven't guessed, I'm not an electrician)
Like Lee mentioned. You don't get a lot of charge from the 7-way plug. I have heard 1-7 amps from different people.
I am not an electrician either. But I am careful and want to avoid risk on the road.
I was told that the lithium batteries will continue to pull charge from the truck, so I just unplug when stopped. Even if I am plugged in.
My 07 has a 136-amp alternator, just replaced the original unit, had some issues and it was either the batteries or the alternator. I guessed right this time.
Alternators go out at the wrong times. Figured I was pushing it at 14+ years.

Livermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:36 AM   #22
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I also installed a DC-DC charger.
In March we were dry camping on Ocracoke Island NC for 10 days. We did not bring a generator. I have 400W of solar panels and they keep the batteries charged very well. The weather was unusually cold. The last 3 days were were there it rained. No sun no charging.
I plugged in the rig to the truck via the Anderson connectors and ran the truck for an hour in the morning and the evening. Worked great.
Then we ran out of propane....
No propane refills on the island. Has to buy a 20lb BBQ grill tank to get us through the last 2 days.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...hlight=charger
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 03:29 PM   #23
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman229 View Post
We are planning on switching to lithium batteries for the RV. There are so many brands, options and prices. My current concern (of which I have many) is charging in below freezing temps. Is this a major issue or not something to worry about. Thanks.
Paul
Although the BMS will help, there is a limit. I have mine inside the pass through, many store them under beds or sofas. Lithium can be stored in any orientation, I have even seen them hung upside down. There is no liquid, no gas so totally safe. Check the Battleborn website for specific temperatures and I recommend that brand.
BTW, we have gone through 5 winters on the west coast of Canada above 49 with no issues at all. I have a small thermostatically controlled electric heater in the basement since their is water in there anyway. We had a real cold spell last winter and froze all the heated hoses and inside water plus sewer line. The batteries were fine and so was the water after about 48 hours.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 03:44 PM   #24
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I also installed a DC-DC charger

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...hlight=charger
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote