Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2020, 07:25 PM   #1
OldVol
Established Member

M.O.C. #27486
Roof Type

I have a 2019 Montana 3700LK. What type of roof doesn’t it have?

OldVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:50 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Click on this link and it will tell you how to determine what roof material you have, EDPM or TPO.
https://www.keystonerv.com/owners-ho...dpm-or-tp-roof
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:44 AM   #3
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Don't think Keystone uses it but several are going to PVC roof membrane.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:23 AM   #4
OldVol
Established Member

M.O.C. #27486
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
Click on this link and it will tell you how to determine what roof material you have, EDPM or TPO.
https://www.keystonerv.com/owners-ho...dpm-or-tp-roof
Thank you
Old 11-23-2020, 07:32 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
There is a third type that could be on your roof.

I specifically asked my dealership what type of roof was on my 2019 High Country and they told me it was Alpha. They told me it is NOT EPDM or TPO and to NOT use products for EPDM or TPO on it. I needed to use only Alpha sealers and caulking. So, the day I purchased the camper, I picked up a couple tubes of Alpha calking from them. It's not cheap!

Before just assuming it's one or the other, I suggest you confer with your dealership and get a straight answer. If you do have the Alpha system, you do not want to be using anything but Alpha sealers on it.

Here's a link to the Alpha web site: Click here.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:29 AM   #6
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post

I specifically asked my dealership what type of roof was on my 2019 High Country and they told me it was Alpha. They told me it is NOT EPDM or TPO and to NOT use products for EPDM or TPO on it. I needed to use only Alpha sealers and caulking. So, the day I purchased the camper, I picked up a couple tubes of Alpha calking from them. It's not cheap!

Before just assuming it's one or the other, I suggest you confer with your dealership and get a straight answer. If you do have the Alpha system, you do not want to be using anything but Alpha sealers on it.

The alpha roof is a TPO roof system

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:27 AM   #7
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
From the Alpha website
Question: What type of roofing membrane does Alpha currently carry? Answer: Alpha’s SuperFlex roofing membrane is a TPO, which stands for thermoplastic polyolefin.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:53 AM   #8
OldVol
Established Member

M.O.C. #27486
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post

Thank you very much. Will do.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:24 PM   #9
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
All this discussion on roof materials, it boils down to what sealants you can use on them. Regular Dicor, self leveling or non leveling is good on any of them. https://dicorproducts.com/product/se...-lap-sealants/
https://dicorproducts.com/product/no...-lap-sealants/
You do not want to use any other sealants on RV roofs, including silicone.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 07:51 PM   #10
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
All this discussion on roof materials, it boils down to what sealants you can use on them. Regular Dicor, self leveling or non leveling is good on any of them. https://dicorproducts.com/product/se...-lap-sealants/
https://dicorproducts.com/product/no...-lap-sealants/
You do not want to use any other sealants on RV roofs, including silicone.
First and absolutely foremost, I appreciate all of the responses I'm getting on more than just roof issues. As I think I've said, never owned a truck or an RV, so I'm going to make, probably, all the mistakes you can. I've already made a number of them.
However, I often use the Socratic method; question everything. While I know collective wisdom has to be respected, sometimes collective wisdom turns out to be the result of illusory truth and/or confirmation bias.
Illusory truth is basically, "because they said so." Confirmation Bias is "Because it fits with what I know." Neither are based on first hand knowledge. That does not apply to every response, but I do sense a common theme. So, getting Socratic, and just because I ask does not mean I don't believe you or you are not right:
  • What facts do you have that eliminates a silicone based products?
  • There are a variety of competing responses on product vs. roof type. Why no consensus?
  • The product I listed not only says it works with both type - and now I see there may be a third - it has other attributes such as UV resistant, and works on many uniquely different surfaces. Why should I be hesitant to use?
Now, after being a bit of a jerk, here's what happened. The weather finally cooperated and I was able to get up on the roof and inspect. However, based on the responses I had already ordered 8 tubes of Dicor caulk, a 4" x 50' roll of Eternabond(?) tape. Was losing sleep thinking I should call my insurance company. Was a hair away from spending $379 on 5 gallons on the sealant I mentioned.

So a recap of what happened. I had to park between to trees. Since I have a 41' Montana the roof is very high - I don't know what standard heights are for big rigs. A branch that jutted out at that height rubbed down the roof corner (where the sidewalls meet the roof) and had pushed in about 12 feet of the water eve and scraped the roof material causing some spots that looked as though they probably could let water in. Also, the leaking happened during three solid days of Florida storm weather that, while not tropical, was a viscous wind and rain event. Keystones 'lame' 2019 manual says in that kind of weather don't extend the slide outs. Had I not had them out I would have spent three days in my kitchen. By straightening the eve so they would catch water and using 12' of the tape the leaks are gone. However, I would have never known what to look for or think about had it not been to the members here. Thank you. What I thought was a costly screw up, turned out not to be.

PS, I can't check my grammar. Dinner is on.
KausalityKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 06:57 AM   #11
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
In your situation, the Eternabond tape is extremely effective and durable.
I've used it as a first layer bed to mount the feet of my solar panels. I've also used it to patch a hole where I dropped a panel and the corner gouged the roof membrane.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:14 PM   #12
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
In your situation, the Eternabond tape is extremely effective and durable.
I've used it as a first layer bed to mount the feet of my solar panels. I've also used it to patch a hole where I dropped a panel and the corner gouged the roof membrane.
I works perfectly and only cost me $60 for 4" x 50' roll. I was worried I was going to have to drop juniors first car. OK, no kids, but you get what I mean..
KausalityKid is offline   Reply With Quote