Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2021, 03:58 PM   #21
beekeeper.va
Established Member

M.O.C. #11864
My experience has not been the same as yours. I have installed two of those RV power pedestals on my home property and two at campsites on my 8.6 acres in the mountains. Everyone of them has failed within a year. The replacement 20 amp, expensive GFCIs have worked well.

Note here: Replacing the cheap 15-amp GFCI with a good 20-amp GFCI does not overload the circuit. The supply breaker at the power panel protects the wires and equipment from overload. The 20-amp GFCI will still trip at any difference in hot/neutral current.

beekeeper.va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 04:27 PM   #22
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekeeper.va View Post
My experience has not been the same as yours. I have installed two of those RV power pedestals on my home property and two at campsites on my 8.6 acres in the mountains. Everyone of them has failed within a year. The replacement 20 amp, expensive GFCIs have worked well.

Note here: Replacing the cheap 15-amp GFCI with a good 20-amp GFCI does not overload the circuit. The supply breaker at the power panel protects the wires and equipment from overload. The 20-amp GFCI will still trip at any difference in hot/neutral current.
I had to go look, I have never seen a 15A GFCI. Our (Canada) building code requires 20A GFCI in the kitchen and I always used the same type in the shop. I am pretty sure my small town hardware store did not sell 15A and I can't even say if I have noticed them av available where I live now, but they do sell them in the big city since I just looked. At $20+ each I would not say they are cheap as somebody said. AFAIK our code for kitchens, bathrooms, outdoors, basements and not sure about shops are all 20A.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 04:43 PM   #23
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Well Winstons, its been a week since posting for help with a GFCI not resetting. The suspense is killing me so to speak. Have you resolved the issue and if so what was the problem?? inquiring minds want to know!
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:07 PM   #24
craigb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14426
Pedestal problem

Look to an open ground or some other problem with park power if all GFI`s are effected.
craigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:35 PM   #25
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I have to agree with Carl and the whole bunch that have commented on the campground post being the problem. If you don't have power to the microwave, or the bedroom tv and your GFCI won't reset then it sounds to me you have a bad set up at the post OR a bad cord . You have lost a leg of the power to the unit. The GFCI in the bathroom has nothing to do with the microwave or the tv in the bedroom. I'd go to the campground office and tell them the problem and have them check the power post at your site.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:08 AM   #26
Lethbridge Sparky

M.O.C. #24791
GFCI receptacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winstons View Post
Does anyone have any experience with GFCI plugs? We plugged our Montana in at an RV Park for the first time today and am having issues with our GFCI plug. It will not reset. It worked fine at our house, but does not want to reset now. So we don’t have access to most of our wall plugs and microwave. I would hate to think we need another plug already. It’s only been 3 weeks. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I would suggest making sure your GFCI is wired correctly. If the line and load are reversed the receptacle won’t t work correctly. Unplug your trailer, remove the GFCI receptacle, snake sure no wires are touching one another, plug trailer back in and test with a volt meter which wire is your hot (or line) and that is the wire that goes to your line side of the GFCI. Make sure to match the same neutral or you’ll have issues
Lethbridge Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:44 AM   #27
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Just re-read and now I'm confused. Things like a microwave and TV should not be on a GFCI circuit normally. They are only typically installed to protect wet locations such as near bathroom or kitchen sink and outside receptacles. I'm more inclined to thing you may have lost one leg of the 50 amp coming into the rig either at the pedestal or your cord or plug.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:34 AM   #28
Randy E
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21626
When our 3791RD was new in 2017, we had a similar problem. We fought it all year. Finally by accident we found it. We kept loosing the fridge, ceiling fan, and outlets all year long. Someone walking past the rear of the coach, bumped the 50 plug. When the cord wiggled the lights flickered. We turned the power off, unplugged it, disconnected the battery to prevent any back feeding. By simply removing 4 screws on the incoming power socket, we immediately saw one of the 50 amp wires was not connected and only touching the plug occasionally. It was also burnt. Keystone sent me a new plug, a new 25 foot power cord at no cost. It was as simple as putting the wire back in the hole and tightening it up. Less than 5 minutes to open it up and look. Or just have someone wiggle the cord and plug, while you stay inside and check things out.
2016 Chevy DD 4x4
Randy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:42 AM   #29
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
^^^^^^^^. A problem that has been reported a number of times and worth checking for everyone.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:04 PM   #30
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
I would start at the breaker panel. Be certain all the breakers are on. To do this turn them all off and push the handles toward the off position. Sometimes they don't go all they way to the reset position then turn them all on. Now attempt to reset the the GFCI. If it resets WAAAA-LAAA great. If it doesn't unplug everything in all of the receptacles and again attempt a reset. If it resets plug items back in one at a time and verify power on with each "plug-in". You'll eventually locate the issue. If the GFCI did not reset after cycling the breakers replace the GFCI. If doing so worries you get help from someone more comfortable with electrical work.
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:10 PM   #31
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
It has been 10 days since the OP was on the MOC. I suspect he found his problem, or gave up and let someone else deal with it. We can speculate all we want but we really need him to answer some of our questions.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote