Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
My Major Mod.....W/D

OK, it has begun...adding a residential stackable w/d to a Montana that's not even prepped for a w/d. I knew for day one of owning this montana that I would eventually put one in, and I knew right where I wanted it. I posted pics on our blog, and you can follow it right along. Before anyone asks...It will have a separate drop to plug it directly into the 50 amp box outside. It's a 220 electric dryer.
Here's the link....
http://billnjudi.blogspot.com/

Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
This will be interesting to follow. Best of luck to you. It's so important to make the rig yours.
We're not at that point yet ... DW is not at all interested in getting a W/D installed and I am not going to encourage her in that direction.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I toyed with the idea myself.....but, those residential units suck too much juice to suit me. I looked at the new Maytags; 30 amps 240 volts. That's better than the one we have in the stick house. I suppose the new Energy Star has something to do with that.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:37 AM   #4
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
The 220 dryer should make for much quicker drying! However, given the limited power supply we have to RVs, I will be very interested in following your progress with this project and how it ends up working for you...best of luck in getting all to come together with success.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Our 220 Dryers work fine, no amperage problems at all, mine pull less than 20 amps per leg. I have the Maytags you can get at Lowe's and Sears, we got them at Sears.
Wild Horse where did you get yours and what are they?
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Bill after seeing what you have already done with your rig this will be interesting to follow.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have the Bosch 240 volt units, not a problem and they use half the power the 120 volt units would. Been using them for two years now and they work great, wash takes 35 minutes, normal dry about an hour with a full drum. we try to do smaller loads as they dry faster and are less wrinkled. A normal load (2/3 max)will wash in 30 minutes or so and the dry in about 30 minutes. The sensor dry does it perfectly. Very few wrinkles...Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
I see no power issues whatsoever. I was willing to go to a gas dryer setup, but didn't want anything to do with a 110 unit. Ozz, this is a maytag.....slightly used, 225 bucks.

Placed the unit today, will work on building the custom face frame this weekend, then final hookups monday/tuesday.

added pic to my blog of the installed w/d.
see link below.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Our 220 Dryers work fine, no amperage problems at all, mine pull less than 20 amps per leg. I have the Maytags you can get at Lowe's and Sears, we got them at Sears.
Wild Horse where did you get yours and what are they?
Ozz, I am very good with wood and tile, but when it comes to plumbing and electricity, break out the yellow pages!
Old 01-08-2011, 12:04 AM   #10
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
I'm confused where do you get the 240 volts to run te dryer or did I miss something here? IS OUR 50amp plug in 220
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:56 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ragdoll

I'm confused where do you get the 240 volts to run te dryer or did I miss something here? IS OUR 50amp plug in 220
Yes, you have a breaker box with two Buss bars inside, one has 120 volts, the other has 120 volts out of phase with the parallel buss bar. This is just like your home where you have 120 volt loads and 220 volt loads. All a person has to do is buy a 220 volt breaker and you can run a 220 volt appliance. There are many other factors that come into play, load balancing, total amperage draw and so on that should be addressed by an electrician, but a 220 volt dryer is very doable and really does not pull too many amps. About like having 2 more heaters going in the trailer.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:03 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980

Old 01-08-2011, 01:16 AM   #13
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ragdoll

Jack and Lorraine,
Do not feel bad about being confused. The 240 volts application only work when plugged into 50amp service. And you have to specifically wire it in your power panel. It will not work when using a 30 amp outlet. The reason it does not work is the 30 amp feeds (single hot wire) is "Y" to both 50amp feeds.

For that reason I stayed with the 120 volt washer and dryer that will work on a 30 amp feed.
Good question.s
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:10 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
John, I haven't tried it, but my dryer would probably work on 30 amps. Depends on the control inside it, but I would bet a box of sugar donuts that it would heat, but on 1/2 power, just take twice as long to dry. I bet the only thing that is 220 is the heating elements, motor is 120 volts, most probably the controls also. I would have to look at the schematic.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:33 AM   #15
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Ozz,
I am sure you are correct. The reason for my post is to alert those that do not understand the difference in the trailer wiring to a home. I post worse case so those that do not understand electricity don't get hurt. Mainly I try to make them aware that there are issues with doing it with 220. By issues I mean what you said. It may work but takes 2 to 3 times longer to dry.

I try to remember that our audience covers the full spectrum of experience levels.

Note: If the motor is wired for 220 then there is a bigger chance of damaging it. As you said with out opening it up and examining all the details we do not know.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:58 AM   #16
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Ozz,
I am sure you are correct. The reason for my post is to alert those that do not understand the difference in the trailer wiring to a home. I post worse case so those that do not understand electricity don't get hurt. Mainly I try to make them aware that there are issues with doing it with 220. By issues I mean what you said. It may work but takes 2 to 3 times longer to dry.

I try to remember that our audience covers the full spectrum of experience levels.

Note: If the motor is wired for 220 then there is a bigger chance of damaging it. As you said with out opening it up and examining all the details we do not know.
And I, for one, appreciate your post...as I have said, electricity is one of my many "short suits."
Old 01-08-2011, 05:39 AM   #17
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

John, I haven't tried it, but my dryer would probably work on 30 amps. Depends on the control inside it, but I would bet a box of sugar donuts that it would heat, but on 1/2 power, just take twice as long to dry. I bet the only thing that is 220 is the heating elements, motor is 120 volts, most probably the controls also. I would have to look at the schematic.
I don't think it will work on the 30 amp adapter. Both sides of the element will have 120 volts of the same phase which will equal no current flow.

The GFCO 50 amp panel we have is not set up for 240 volts. The only two pole single throw breaker is the one in the middle, which serves as the main. The left and right buss are different phases. I am told the Iota panels are different.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #18
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Thanks everyone I understand what you are doing now.Jack
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #19
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
OK, we've been delayed a bit with the passing of our dear best friend, Lightning. Slowly getting back on track now. If you look at our blog, I posted the before/after pics from the living room.
blog listed below.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 01-19-2011, 01:56 AM   #20
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
I've attached a pic of the wiring I did to have 220 for our stacked w/d. Hope this helps clear up some of the confusion.
DISCLAIMER: A Licensed Electrician was consulted on this. Anyone attempting this or something similar absolutely needs to do so as well.

I used 6/3 with ground to bring power from pedestal into basement, where I mounted a 4 space main lug box. You will note that the box is mounted upside down. This was done simply because of the way the wiring routed easiest, and drilling the least amount of holes. As long as the breakers click side to side, it's a nonissue. Only one hole was drilled for this, a 7/8" hole from basement into propane tank cab. The wire is stored in the propane cabinet, and is easily fed out the exposed bottom to plug into pedestal.
Here's the box mounted.

Here's the electrical.