Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2007, 05:52 AM   #1
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
When do you turn on the heater?

OK, so we are leaving on a trip to the Rockies in a week and I understand the nights will be cold.

My question is, when you are traveling not just staying in one place, do you leave your heater on, just turned down low while traveling, or do you stop a couple of hours before your next campground to turn it on and have it heat up the 5er before you arrive, or do you wait to get to the campground to turn it on?

We travel with the fridge on can we travel with the heater also? If not why not?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:07 AM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Capt Kidd, We travel with the heater off, and turn it on when we get to the campground (if needed) either while setting up, or after set up. No specific reason only thats what we have chosen to do. Never thought about running with the heater on. Maybe because it doesn't take that long to heat up the inside.

rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:37 AM   #3
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I wouldn't take a chance leaving the furnace on. Also, wasting propane.
These things warm up in about 20 minutes. At least ours does.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I tend to agree with the others. These heaters can warm up the rig pretty quick so why waste propane while traveling? In my opinion, it is best to stay on the safe side of this one and leave the heater off while on the road. The refridgerator is a different story but there are many MOCers who leave their refridgerator off while traveling. I tend to run ours most of the time because I don't think they use that much propane and they take awhile to cool down.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I understand the heating up after you park, however, my question is if it is freezing outside and we are traveling for 8 hours should I run the heater to keep the pipes from freezing?
Thanks for starting this topic. I hope I have not hijacked it.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #6
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
No worries on hijacking. When we are traveling in California in the winter where the temps rarely git below 30 it's no big deal but I understand that in Wyoming and Montana it can get into the low 20s in the first part of October.

When you guys say it doesn't take long to heat up the 5er is that 20 - 30 minutes or an hour?
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We used to leave the heat off, and turn on as soon as possible after arrival in the campground.

But, now, I travel with a lot of violets and other house plants, in the "greenhouse" (shower), and we do run in December and January when running south with the furnace on, set about 45. When it is about 4 degrees out, my violets won't last long. They are important to me, silly me, so, we run with the heat on low now. There is no room in the truck for the plants, and I would have to move them back and forth in the nasty cold temps, which is hard to do and not have them freeze. This way, I take them out of the house, and to Tana and they stay there till we get back to the stick built in ohhhh April.

Ya, I know, to some of you just wayyyyyyyyyyy toooooooooooooo much trouble, but they make me happy and so, that is what I do! Al just smiles and pulls out of the drive way and heads Tana SOUTH!!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:52 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I choose to run with my propane turned off. Safety precautions..... Would not even think to run with it on.

Remember, this is my opinion........To each his own.....

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:57 AM   #9
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160

I agree with Carol on leaving the heat on low that is what we do also.

But Carol puts the blame on the flowers but its just her that can't handle the cold. ha ha sorry Carol I couldn't resist.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Larry,

You told on me!!

Gotta say, it is rather nice going into Tana and have her at 45 degrees and not at 17.

We have only had to run with the heat on for a couple of days each winter. Has been our experience that once we get to someplace warm enough to get rid of the pink that we don't have to run with the heat.

For those that are reluctant to run with the furnace on, it would be interesting to know if you run with your frig on propane?? If so, what do you perceive to be the difference??

Those are two serious questions and are meant to further this discussion and educate us all.

Now, Larry, ya gotta stop telling on me!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:58 PM   #11
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
A couple of times last winter, we ran with the heat on. Here was *my* reasoning: Outside temps below freezing coupled with speeds at approximately 63 mph adding a windchill factor to the aforementioned temperatures. Hmmmm....Didn't want anything to freeze. Turned off both fridge and heater if and when we needed to re-fuel.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:41 PM   #12
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Capt,

It's not all that cold here in CO at least during the day. I was up in Keystone last week and it wasn't much cooler there at night than it is here in Castle Rock, probably 40ish. No worries, it's not that cold, save your propane and just heat it up when you arrive. If it's during the day, you'll not use it at all.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:03 PM   #13
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
If it is cold out we turn the furnace on while we are setting up. Sometimes we also turn on the electric heater to speed things up a little.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #14
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I warm mine up before I leave and put the slides in. Then when it is nice and toasty I turn the heat off before pulling out. I only travel about an hour to two hours each way. When I get to the campground i turn the furnace on before I do anything else and crank it up to 80 degrees. When I have finished setting up the trailer it is nice and toasty inside.
There is my two pennies worth.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote