RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-29-2020, 05:04 PM   #21
laverdur
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Albany
Posts: 265
M.O.C. #11972
One thing to remember about "published" weights is that they do not include options like the awning, nor do they include the weight of batteries or filled propane tanks. IMHO, you can bet that your pin weight will be higher than the "published" weight before you put any clothing, food and other normal supplies inside.
__________________
2012 3150RL. G614 tires. Hardwired surge protector. Level-Up Hydraulic leveling.
2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 PSD SRW SC LB 4X4 OEM hitch, air self-leveling on rear. 57-gallon replacement fuel tank. DieselSite water separator/fuel filter.
laverdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:39 PM   #22
Baldicon
Montana Master
 
Baldicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 530
M.O.C. #20906
Loaded for a 2 month trip to FLA, my pine weight was 3500lbs.
__________________
2019 Montana 3121RL
2017 XLT 350 SCLB DRW 4X4
Baldicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:40 PM   #23
Baldicon
Montana Master
 
Baldicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 530
M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
Loaded for a 2 month trip to FLA, my pine weight was 3500lbs.
Either I can't type, or spell check got me. Obviously I meant "pin" weight.
__________________
2019 Montana 3121RL
2017 XLT 350 SCLB DRW 4X4
Baldicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:30 PM   #24
D A Busman
Established Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chehalis
Posts: 15
M.O.C. #22371
They say the eyes are the second thing to go and I canít remember the first thing. 🥴😥😂
D A Busman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:31 PM   #25
D A Busman
Established Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chehalis
Posts: 15
M.O.C. #22371
�� for bruce
D A Busman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:01 PM   #26
DebNJim B
Montana Master
 
DebNJim B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Northville, NY
Posts: 573
M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by LERD View Post
I have done multiple searches for this question, both on this site and the Keystone site and I'm still not sure of a definite answer. I do not have a Monty yet, but the DW and I like the 3120rl the best. The published weight is listed as 11999 lbs empty and a pin weight of 2350. That gives me a pin weight ratio of 19.6%. So my question is, when I am at full capacity of 16k (which may never happen as we will be longtimers not fulltimers) will that ratio still be the same or close? I know that it's not an exact measurement, but for those of you that have scaled your rig in full combat ready mode, has the ratio been the same as empty? I'm a Ford guy and the DW wants to keep the TV to a SRW. So I know that I wont be over on the GCWR with either the 6.7l or the 7.3l engine. I trying to find out my margin of error on the pin weight. Thanks for everyone's help and advise.
Our 5er is 16k gross and on our recent trip south , loaded up for FT-ing for the winter, I weighed it and it was 500 under and the pin was right on 20%. Course that put me 500 over on GCWR. I'm running an F350 psd SRW and was almost 300 over pin weight. If you go gas you may stay within limits as the lower engine weight will give you more payload, but you will still be very close.
I am currently shopping for a dually. I think you may want to consider that. That 3120 is a sweet floorplan but lots of storage that will just naturally get you close to the gross. I find storage space in a fifth wheel seems to have a magnetic affect on collecting stuff.
__________________
Jim B
2017 Lariat F-350 FX4, CC, SB, 6.7 PSD 4WD
2018 MONTY 3731FL, at our private winter site in GA

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:05 PM   #27
LERD
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: AKRON
Posts: 19
M.O.C. #27487
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
Our 5er is 16k gross and on our recent trip south , loaded up for FT-ing for the winter, I weighed it and it was 500 under and the pin was right on 20%. Course that put me 500 over on GCWR. I'm running an F350 psd SRW and was almost 300 over pin weight. If you go gas you may stay within limits as the lower engine weight will give you more payload, but you will still be very close.
I am currently shopping for a dually. I think you may want to consider that. That 3120 is a sweet floorplan but lots of storage that will just naturally get you close to the gross. I find storage space in a fifth wheel seems to have a magnetic affect on collecting stuff.
I used to have a career where you moved constantly. If it didn't fit in a 32 ft UHaul truck it went to the curb. Different career and now nearly 30 years later in the same house, boy does junk grow to the size of it's container!

What is your GCWR and your payload rating? I was thinking that with the 7.3l gas engine and the 4:30 gears, the GCWR was 27,500. The diesel has the GCWR of 30,000 lbs. That leaves the truck an allowance of 11,500 lbs and about 13,500 lbs for the diesel. Since the pin weight is included in the RV's GVWR, I figured the actual GCWR would be closer to 24,000 or so. Am I missing something?
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:46 AM   #28
jeffba
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bastrop
Posts: 2,704
M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
Either I can't type, or spell check got me. Obviously I meant "pin" weight.
I think most of us speak fat fingers
__________________
2019 20th Anniversary Edition 3701LK
B&W 20K for Ford OEM Puck
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW
Poke super lignum unum et diem
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:04 AM   #29
DebNJim B
Montana Master
 
DebNJim B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Northville, NY
Posts: 573
M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by LERD View Post
I used to have a career where you moved constantly. If it didn't fit in a 32 ft UHaul truck it went to the curb. Different career and now nearly 30 years later in the same house, boy does junk grow to the size of it's container!

What is your GCWR and your payload rating? I was thinking that with the 7.3l gas engine and the 4:30 gears, the GCWR was 27,500. The diesel has the GCWR of 30,000 lbs. That leaves the truck an allowance of 11,500 lbs and about 13,500 lbs for the diesel. Since the pin weight is included in the RV's GVWR, I figured the actual GCWR would be closer to 24,000 or so. Am I missing something?
We're currently back home for the holidays and the Cat sheets are in the 5er down South so I'm working from memory which isn't that great at this age.
Anyway the charts below show the GCWR at 23,500. Truck weighed in at 9k leaving me 14,500 for trailer. Seems like that it was a little over 15k. The GVWR for the truck is 11,500 and seems I was around 500 over that.
Seems like the numbers you are looking at are for the dually's. Makes a big difference. I also show the door stickers which show the real story for my particular truck. Now if you take the 15,700 max trailer from the chart and add it to 11,500 GVWR of the truck you get 27,200 for combination weight so I'm not really sure how all these numbers add up. Seems like when I ordered the truck I was shown a total around 28k but I can't find that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mdweights.jpg (300.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20190408_155226.jpg (169.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190408_155244.jpg (182.7 KB, 1 views)
__________________
Jim B
2017 Lariat F-350 FX4, CC, SB, 6.7 PSD 4WD
2018 MONTY 3731FL, at our private winter site in GA

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:54 AM   #30
CalandLinda
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Taylors
Posts: 419
M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
We're currently back home for the holidays and the Cat sheets are in the 5er down South so I'm working from memory which isn't that great at this age.
Anyway the charts below show the GCWR at 23,500. Truck weighed in at 9k leaving me 14,500 for trailer. Seems like that it was a little over 15k. The GVWR for the truck is 11,500 and seems I was around 500 over that.
Seems like the numbers you are looking at are for the dually's. Makes a big difference. I also show the door stickers which show the real story for my particular truck. Now if you take the 15,700 max trailer from the chart and add it to 11,500 GVWR of the truck you get 27,200 for combination weight so I'm not really sure how all these numbers add up. Seems like when I ordered the truck I was shown a total around 28k but I can't find that.
Brochure information is not official. Only the information on the vehicle labeling is official. Your truck has a GVWR of 11.5K. That's its maximum acceptable load. GCWR cannot be certified because they can change just by changing transmission gearing. For instance; our truck had a published 22K GCWR with 3.73 gearing. I upgraded that to 23.5K by going to 4.10 gearing. Bottom line; nothing can be done to increase the vehicle GVWR. Only the vehicle manufacturer or a certified vehicle modifier have the authority to do that.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:05 AM   #31
bshgto
Montana Master
 
bshgto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Hagerstown
Posts: 548
M.O.C. #16013
mUSt bE spECial

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post
i have a pin weigh of 3,000lbs with a 2020 f-250 and 5,000 lb air bags. (only need air bags when you go over bridges to smooth out the rocking....i set at 40lbs )

I also have the trailer package which gives the 3.55 axle and the same axle
( dana-275) and springs as the ford f-350.

the tires are your weakest link as they only handle 3640lbs of weight each

I had only a 100-150 lb lea way with these tires. And if you hit a few bumps the 3000 lbs can become 3500 for a few seconds.

I solved this by getting rid of my NEW Goodyear wranglers (came with truck) and going to
Yokohamas geolander that are rated at 4080 lbs each.

This gives me a 880 lb lea way in weight. And they are a quiet ride on the highway.

of course my truck is a diesel. Don't even consider gas...you will be one sorry puppy.

I cruse at 65 mph at about 1500 rpm. and power to spare going up hills...
Just curious what does your door sticker say about payload with the upgraded tow package. I would think the tires would have been changed out for the higher capacity at the factory.
__________________
2018.5 3791 Rear Den Montana, on the lake
Electric Brakes ..... Disk Brakes, it`s the only way
2018 F350 Ford 6.7 Dually 4:10`s w/bags Top Dog (payload 5595 lbs)
Andersen Ultimate TrailAir Pin Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:32 AM   #32
DebNJim B
Montana Master
 
DebNJim B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Northville, NY
Posts: 573
M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
Brochure information is not official. Only the information on the vehicle labeling is official. Your truck has a GVWR of 11.5K. That's its maximum acceptable load. GCWR cannot be certified because they can change just by changing transmission gearing. For instance; our truck had a published 22K GCWR with 3.73 gearing. I upgraded that to 23.5K by going to 4.10 gearing. Bottom line; nothing can be done to increase the vehicle GVWR. Only the vehicle manufacturer or a certified vehicle modifier have the authority to do that.
That's correct but the door stickers only give vehicle limits and not GCWR. That's why I dug up a brochure online. I'm not near my truck and don't have the manual but I found a pdf at the Ford site. The manual gives the GCWR for my truck as 28,700 which is what the dealer gave me when I ordered it. Of course that is only what my truck can drag down the road. The payload is the one that means business and where I exceed the max by a few hundred #'s.
__________________
Jim B
2017 Lariat F-350 FX4, CC, SB, 6.7 PSD 4WD
2018 MONTY 3731FL, at our private winter site in GA

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 02:50 PM   #33
CalandLinda
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Taylors
Posts: 419
M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
That's correct but the door stickers only give vehicle limits and not GCWR.
That's because GCWR is not a limiter. It's a variable recommendation set by the vehicle manufacturer. When hauling 5th wheel trailers you'll almost always run out of tow vehicle load capacity long before reaching the GCWR.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:16 AM   #34
denhammkc
Established Member
 
denhammkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 26
M.O.C. #18294
Just FYI I weighed my rig loaded for a 4 week trip. There are many variables that affect pin weight. The one I want to shed some light on is the difference that a full tank of fresh water makes. My tank is all the way to the rear, I weighed with tank full pulled off scale emptied tank and reweighed.

A full tank of 50 gallons reduced my pin weight by 320 lbs.
With water 21% and without water 23% of total weight.
A safe estimate to ensure you have enough truck would be 25%.
__________________
2011 RAM / airbags / Anderson Ult. hitch / 2017 Montana 3721RL/Disc brakes, oil-bath Timkin bearings, shocks, X-factor/Tank-less water heater and built in water softener/Barker auto drain valves/4x100 amp Battle born/Go-power 3000 whole rig inverter/all LED running lights and a lot more.
denhammkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:31 AM   #35
DadsHemi
Montana Master
 
DadsHemi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Florence
Posts: 536
M.O.C. #20472
Here are my 3 weight tickets from cat scales, the third one is just the truck before we left home to travel to Ca.

The second one is truck and trailer and both loaded with full tank of water

The first one is leaving Ca to go home to Al, as you can see we grow some weight in 18 months, not much but we did. Trailer is loaded and full tank of water, front axle weight has shifted and I tribute that to the new Companion hitch in the truck. Truck and trailer are max out on weight and to the plus side, not much but it is.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...1&d=1607866158
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...1&d=1607866158
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...1&d=1607866161
__________________

2018 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Aisin 4x4 4:10 Gears
EZ Lynk AutoAgent-Tuned by Calibrated
2017 Montana 3160RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:33 AM   #36
speedster100
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: owen sound
Posts: 483
M.O.C. #17566
Went from a 3790RD to a 3120RL, big difference in length from almost 43 ft to 35ft. Always had all the heavy stuff like tools, bbq, spare parts, fold out tables, spare Def for the truck, awning shade covers etc in the rear storage areas of the 3790. Carried the lighter aluminum lawn chairs our folding electric bikes and related up in the front storage. Towed great and put thousands of miles on it. We had to downsize all the tools carried, spare parts, number of folding tables and generally alot of the things we normally carried with us in the 3790RD. We used the trailer about 10 months of the year and lived in it in Florida for 5months in winter so it was great to be able to carry everything we thought we'd need and did at some point use. We bought a park model so we downsized to the 3120RL and the only real storage is in the front end. Strategically cutting back on what we carry and putting a bike rack on the rear where the electric bikes now ride has allowed us to still carry quite a bit. Honestly due to the length differences I don't feel any real difference on the pin of the truck while driving it but I do feel a huge difference in turning radius on corners and getting into tight spaces. The 3120 is a nice trailer, storage area is large, how you store & pack will affect the pin weight. I will say we don't carry near as many cloth's etc now either which can add up. Also there is quite a lot of storage space inside the 3120 mid cabin and in the rear behind the wheels. We've put some of the heavier stuff back there and the truck really doesn't even know its on the back of it. 2017 SRW Denali 3500 diesel but then again it towed the 3790Rd without issue as well but I knew it was back there. Not so much anymore with this much smaller trailer.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×