Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2020, 08:52 PM   #21
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Everybody will tell you something different. Just go to your Dodge dealership, tell him what you're going to tow, how much it weighs, and let them inform you.

2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:26 PM   #22
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
Everybody will tell you something different. Just go to your Dodge dealership, tell him what you're going to tow, how much it weighs, and let them inform you.

^^^^^I know this is tongue in cheek....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:58 PM   #23
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Run the numbers on the truck. Not the payload but the GVWR. Weigh the loaded truck then you know what it can do. One cannot just say get a 1 ton unless you don't want to buy intellegently. The numbers will determine what is needed. No reason to kill a fly with a shotgun if you don't have to.
You will more than likely exceed a truck's payload and or Tire load rating before its GVWR. Especially if it's a single rear wheel truck
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:41 AM   #24
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Quote:
This is probably the worst advice you can receive. A sales man or woman has zero clue. They are on the dealer lot to sell something and make their drawer positive every month to prove their worth.
Yes they will upsell and tell to to buy the biggest and baddest truck on the lot. If they do not have it on the lot they will not tell you to go elsewhere. So I have a triple axle 30K dry weight and my black beauty on this lot will tow it.

I downgraded 2 levels. I had a 1 ton dually for a daily driver pre DEF fluid. My commute is 22Miles each way with no time for regeneration for the cat. So I went even further and downgraded to a gas motor.
MY diesel was rated at 250hp and about the same for torque. The newer gassers were rated higher.
I went from a ford limited edition to a chevy with rubber floor mats bare bones in today's standards.
The differences in towing were not noticeable by the seat of the pants.
You get the same chucking and push / pull when leaving an intersection or approaching.
My 3255 is older. My weights are within limits 12,5?? max and a High 9K on the low side. The new truck has a 14K tow rating.

The only difference with chevy between a 3/4HD and 1ton is the rear springs. One less leaf. I did add air bags though. Tired of hitting a pot hole and feeling the leafs bottoming out.

You have to make a decision based upon your camper and being legal going down the road.

Be safe and many happy miles ahead.
Chris
Old 08-28-2020, 10:04 AM   #25
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhftx View Post
This is probably the worst advice you can receive. A sales man or woman has zero clue. They are on the dealer lot to sell something and make their drawer positive every month to prove their worth.
Yes they will upsell and tell to to buy the biggest and baddest truck on the lot. If they do not have it on the lot they will not tell you to go elsewhere. So I have a triple axle 30K dry weight and my black beauty on this lot will tow it.

I downgraded 2 levels. I had a 1 ton dually for a daily driver pre DEF fluid. My commute is 22Miles each way with no time for regeneration for the cat. So I went even further and downgraded to a gas motor.
MY diesel was rated at 250hp and about the same for torque. The newer gassers were rated higher.
I went from a ford limited edition to a chevy with rubber floor mats bare bones in today's standards.
The differences in towing were not noticeable by the seat of the pants.
You get the same chucking and push / pull when leaving an intersection or approaching.
My 3255 is older. My weights are within limits 12,5?? max and a High 9K on the low side. The new truck has a 14K tow rating.

The only difference with chevy between a 3/4HD and 1ton is the rear springs. One less leaf. I did add air bags though. Tired of hitting a pot hole and feeling the leafs bottoming out.

You have to make a decision based upon your camper and being legal going down the road.

Be safe and many happy miles ahead.
Chris

Why is this the worse advice? You're assuming all dealership personnel are clueless and out to screw you over. Bob & Nona already know they want to stay with the Ram line of trucks, and probably will go back to the dealership they bought their previous Ram from. They already know the model of trailer and its weight. They are hearing from this thread what they need or what model and size they should go with? All I suggested is take that information to the dealership and make an informed decision.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:21 AM   #26
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
You will more than likely exceed a truck's payload and or Tire load rating before its GVWR. Especially if it's a single rear wheel truck
That is why I say run the numbers. Tire and axle weight ratings are part of the calcs for gvwr. I've never seen where wheel ratings are exceeded for a properly weight distributed gvw.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:26 AM   #27
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I agree with the statement never trust a Salesman whether it's at a car or RV dealership. Most of them don't even know their product.
The car salesman is going to tell you sure that 2500 pickup will pull anything.
RV salesman could care less he'll sell you whatever trailer you want and hook it up to whatever truck you have and let you drive off with it.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:28 AM   #28
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Believe a dealer? If someone doesn't know to add and subtract then I guess that would be the last resort.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:34 AM   #29
Ron & Beth Montana 3121RL

M.O.C. #26957
We want to trade our 3/4 ton Ram gas truck for at least a 1 ton. We have a 3121RL Montana. We also have an Andersen steel hitch and we get a lot of shucking. We are going to remeasure for possible repositioning of the king pin cover as this was installed by the dealer. We may even go to a traditional slider hitch as we are not sure about the Andersen. Rather be safe than sorry.
Ron & Beth Montana 3121RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:38 AM   #30
Ron & Beth Montana 3121RL

M.O.C. #26957
Did you have to turn your Andersen puck cover to face toward the 5th wheel? I saw a video on You Tube (from Andersen) that showed the measurement for short bed trucks is 47.5" and our rails are set at 54. we have a Ram short bed, mega cab, so I understand why the rails may have been installed where they are. I just hope the dealership did this correctly. We are going to remeasure this weekend and see if we do need to turn the puck cover to the 5th wheel. Otherwise, do you like the Andersen or a traditional hitch better?
Ron & Beth Montana 3121RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:00 PM   #31
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
The position of the coupler on the pin is subjective. Is your truck short on long bed? On a long bed it really doesn't matter. On a short bed it can. That's why my coupler is installed forward of the pin. It also impacts the distance between the tailgate and trailer. I like having more room between them.

A one ton is a good idea for that trailer. The Andersen will treat you well and you will like it when it's time to take it out of the truck.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:43 PM   #32
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
I agree with the statement never trust a Salesman whether it's at a car or RV dealership. Most of them don't even know their product.
The car salesman is going to tell you sure that 2500 pickup will pull anything.
RV salesman could care less he'll sell you whatever trailer you want and hook it up to whatever truck you have and let you drive off with it.

^^^^This is going to be what happens if you ask "the salesman"....every time. I've bought lots of new trucks for various purposes - many for towing. I (me) have to know what I'm towing, the weights to be dropped on a new truck and then TELL the sales people the specs for that truck and to find it. The sales person nor the sales manager has the slightest clue about weights, towing, payload or anything else. It's just a BIG truck compared to what they are used to.

Case in point; bought the truck in my signature at the end of the yea. I did not order a 2020 because at that time they had no idea when they would start building it and I wouldn't get the employee+ pricing on it (although they said I initially would). When I called I told them that I would only speak to the most knowledgeable sales person they had...I wanted nothing to do with the "sharks" that sit outside and run you down. When I arrived I was greeted by their senior sales person and sales manager. I told them what I anticipated buying in a 5th wheel; gvw, length, pin weight. I knew what specs I wanted on the truck but just wanted to "test the water". Yes sir, no problem, we've got just what you need. Shook hands and took off to the back of the lot....he pointed it out by the fence "there it is. Isn't that granite charcoal good looking"? As I walked up to it I saw the side.....hmmmm, isn't that a 2500? Yes. I'm thinking I need a 1 ton. Oh no, this one will do the job. It's a beast. You won't have a problem with it". Really? What's the payload? It can tow 15k. What's the payload says I? Silence....furrowed eyebrows..."what's the payload says he"? I opened the driver door and showed him the sticker and pointed it out...."that's the payload" (about 3100 as I recall). I need more like 4000. "Oh". "Where are the 1 tons"?

Long post but this is the guidance you will get from a salesman, even their best salesman, even if you give them the towing criteria for the truck selection. An RV owner absolutely must know what is required in a truck and tell them right down to the smallest detail. They do not know or care....they just want to move a unit. Believing a truck salesman knows anything about weights or towing is a mistake because they don't....but they sure as heck will wing it if you let them.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:05 PM   #33
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Exactly what I said a few posts ago with about a thousand less words. Lol
Old 08-28-2020, 06:17 PM   #34
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Exactly what I said a few posts ago with about a thousand less words. Lol

Exactly but just saying something and illustrating something with an example are 2 different things....and takes more....words.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:39 PM   #35
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
It's a damn shame the customers have to educate the salesman. Whether it's a truck or an RV
Old 08-28-2020, 06:48 PM   #36
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
My last two trucks, I spent months going over all the details, numbers, and options that I wanted. Went into the Dealer Ship with a print out from the GM Web Site with all the order codes and prices. Was a really good thing as the Sales people at both Dealer Ships knew nothing about 3500 Duallies, as most of their sales were 1500s and a few 2500s.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:51 PM   #37
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Actually, I think salesmen do know about what a given truck can carry. They just don't care about that. They want to sell whatever truck you are interested in. Buyer beware, even for a new one.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:03 PM   #38
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
My F250 can handle that weight. I know because i have towed my 5er 30,000 + miles without a single issue. I have a 03 32380 RL for those who want to look it up. We only take 3 month trips and we have to empty the home refer of all the food in there. We carry enough cloths for 2 weeks between washing. I also travel with my water tank completely full.

People here who drive DRW trucks always take 2 parking spots. How courteous of them. So ya you don't need a DRW truck but if you buy one think about the rest of us who seem to be able to park our 5er in between the lines.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:40 PM   #39
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
My F250 can handle that weight. I know because i have towed my 5er 30,000 + miles without a single issue. I have a 03 32380 RL for those who want to look it up. We only take 3 month trips and we have to empty the home refer of all the food in there. We carry enough cloths for 2 weeks between washing. I also travel with my water tank completely full.

People here who drive DRW trucks always take 2 parking spots. How courteous of them. So ya you don't need a DRW truck but if you buy one think about the rest of us who seem to be able to park our 5er in between the lines.

Slow, I've looked for your trailer and truck specifics but have failed to find them. Can you post?

"Pulling" a trailer "without a single issue" doesn't mean you did it while staying within weight capacities....being safe. All kinds of folks pull all kinds of things overweight and say "it tows fine to me"....that's really not the right answer. As I alluded to in another post, maybe in another forum; being able to make it move is one thing, and you may be able to do so for 30k...100k miles while overloaded...but, the prudent thing is to make sure the numbers (All of them) are within the limits. At some day the "day of reckoning" will come and who pays then? The guy in the other lane? Wife and kids? Numbers drive where you are....not towing without an issue. Just real life.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:48 PM   #40
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Slow, I've looked for your trailer and truck specifics but have failed to find them. Can you post?

"Pulling" a trailer "without a single issue" doesn't mean you did it while staying within weight capacities....being safe. All kinds of folks pull all kinds of things overweight and say "it tows fine to me"....that's really not the right answer. As I alluded to in another post, maybe in another forum; being able to make it move is one thing, and you may be able to do so for 30k...100k miles while overloaded...but, the prudent thing is to make sure the numbers (All of them) are within the limits. At some day the "day of reckoning" will come and who pays then? The guy in the other lane? Wife and kids? Numbers drive where you are....not towing without an issue. Just real life.

Some people could just care less about those numbers and there are thousands of them. They obviously don't care about their safety/ their families safety/ or the safety of anyone around them.

Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should.

To give an example I'm a master Carpenter by trade, I could come to your house and build you a new treated wood deck using all two-by-fours. It would probably be fine for just you and the family. But just how many people are you willing to put on it before you start to worry