Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2020, 09:30 PM   #1
Oldharley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21684
I hate this forum

it seems that every time I read about a cool item I find myself researching and then installing it in the Montana. oh look a surge protector and hard wire it...I can do that, next thing I know ive ordered it and I installed it. solar panels, that would be cool, bamm ordered and installed. inverter, oh that's fun let's order it, disc brskes....yep ordered and installed. then I post a picture of my rig which I pull with a 2015 freightliner that I customized and someone says "I would expect you to be pulling a New Horizon or Spacecraft with that truck. oh no a new rabbit hole, so for the next three weeks I scower the internet trying to figure out what a New Horizon is. Well I found one and yep it's in the driveway. So I'm sad to say that although I still own my Montana it is now up for sale. I added up the upgrades that this forum (yes its all your faults) that I added to the Montana $15,000 and that's just my cost with no accounting for labor. So how many rabbit holes have you gone down because of this forum? I'd like to hear your story.

Oldharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:04 PM   #2
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I know what you mean. I am sure there is a name for this disease but i don't know what it's called but i'm sure i am fixing to find out. I listed the things i could think of that i or someone else did to this rv to make it more to my liking and i an now up to 28 items. Yes this includes the big ticket items like I.S. disc brakes and day-night MCD shades. I am sure i have forgotten a few of the things i have done but if i would just walk around or inside the rv i'm sure they will come back to me. Second thought, i think i will try to put all this in the back of my mind. PS, my wife doesn't know about everything i've done to this rv and i will leave it at that.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:11 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
LOL That is one thing that this Forum is known for! That's why we post mods that everyone can look at, think about and get for themselves. Isn't it GREAT!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:35 AM   #4
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I try to warn the newbies
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:35 AM   #5
Oldharley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21684
My wife supports my habit as it keeps me busy and I do enjoy a good project.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:50 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Join the forum and pay the price
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #7
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
I took care of that. Wife has the credit cards and check book. She know's me too well. I could get myself into real trouble if I didn't do it that way. But, then I tell my wife what I have heard about or found out about something on the MOC and she said well that sound's good, why don't we get one... See where this is going.....LOL...:

Charlie
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:00 PM   #8
Oldharley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21684
its always better when it's the wife's idea. lol
Old 05-24-2020, 01:06 PM   #9
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Oh and to install it, I need this new tool to do it safely
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:15 PM   #10
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
Talking

I just fell victim again. Someone posted about a hoist which mounts in your rear 2" trailer hitch receiver, capable of lifting 300 plus pounds. Well, I bought it. It weights about 47 pounds assembled but breaks down into three pieces so it's very easy to handle. Suffered a slight back injury this year and while still capable of lifting the generator (110 pounds) in and out of the truck, this is so much easier. Set-up or breakdown takes all of about 1-2 minutes and when disassembled it easily fits in the back of the truck.
wecker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:26 PM   #11
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Oh and to install it, I need this new tool to do it safely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldharley View Post
its always better when it's the wife's idea. lol
You guys, My wife read this stuff. Don't blow it for me!!!!

Charlie
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:46 PM   #12
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
I can save everyone lots of anguish just send me all your extra funds and I will dispose of it for you.
scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:56 AM   #13
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldharley View Post
................So how many rabbit holes have you gone down because of this forum? I'd like to hear your story.
If you think this forum is bad for suggesting upgrades to purchase, try sailboatowners.com and cruisersforum.com. There is really no limit to sailboat upgrades. Back to your question......none TO DATE.....as I got all of my suggestions from https://changinglanesrv.com/ and our new Montana 3780RL came pretty much upgraded from the factory and dealer BEFORE I joined this forum and Keystone Owners rv forum.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:43 AM   #14
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
Hay, It can be worst, you could be replacing things that are broke or just don't work right from the factory or just junk. Like, tires, TV antenna, or so on.
scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:04 PM   #15
Oldharley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21684
oh but I have lol who wants 60mph rated tires when I can buy 81 mph tires. lol
Old 05-27-2020, 12:30 PM   #16
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
If you think this forum is bad for suggesting upgrades to purchase, try sailboatowners.com and cruisersforum.com. There is really no limit to sailboat upgrades. Back to your question......none TO DATE.....as I got all of my suggestions from https://changinglanesrv.com/ and our new Montana 3780RL came pretty much upgraded from the factory and dealer BEFORE I joined this forum and Keystone Owners rv forum.
I knew i should have bought the 'legacy' package. I could have had only 25 upgrades instead of 28 lol. Keystone and others leave plenty of room for upgrades no matter what rv you buy. I don't think i will ever buy another rv as it has taken be years to get all these upgrades and i can't imagine starting over. I am sure there are another 15 or 20 upgrades i could do as this has turned into a project kind of like the Shelby i use to own. I am just glad my wife doesn't watch this forum. I can hide my upgrades easier on here than i could on my Shelby. Anyone find out what kind of disease this is called that we have.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:24 PM   #17
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan View Post
i knew i should have bought the 'legacy' package. I could have had only 25 upgrades instead of 28 lol. Keystone and others leave plenty of room for upgrades no matter what rv you buy. I don't think i will ever buy another rv as it has taken be years to get all these upgrades and i can't imagine starting over. I am sure there are another 15 or 20 upgrades i could do as this has turned into a project kind of like the shelby i use to own. I am just glad my wife doesn't watch this forum. I can hide my upgrades easier on here than i could on my shelby. Anyone find out what kind of disease this is called that we have.
rvitis?
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote