Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #1
hitdrd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18743
on the fence 4 a pet

Hi , I am on the fence about getting a puppy, would love to train it to be a hearing dog. I would get a non- shedder. A puppy b/c we have grandkids living wth us and afraid of a rescue with kids. We we travel, we mostly travel alone
However not sure if we want the expense , responsibility. Training, walking early in the-am, ran, snow, etc;
Would appreciate bth positive and negative comments .

hitdrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:16 PM   #2
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
We have a 5 yr old English Cream Golden Doodle we bought the day he was 9 wks old. He loves to travel, maybe because the day we bought him he had an 80 mi ride home. We have a 07 GMC crew cab and the back seat folds down like the Suburban seats did for years. It's nice and flat and mama has a comforter she puts down for him when we travel a distance. Last year we were gone for 34 days traveling 7600 mi and he was fine. As far as early a.m., what's early for you? We take him out just before we go to bed and normal for him is anywhere from 7-8 a.m. He's been this way since a pup. He loves everyone especially the grandkids. When were were gone last year we even left him in the truck at sites where dogs weren't allowed such as an aquarium. He stayed fine for as long as an hour, we did have his water dish full and the windows down a bit and parked in shade. When we'd get back most times he was sleeping. We didn't have a dog for years as I didn't really want a house dog, I'd always had hounds for hunting. He's brought a lot of laughter to our home and I spoil him about as much as my wife does.
I couldn't agree more about a rescue dog. We started out looking that way but read to many descriptions and stories that caused us to buy a pup to train and bring him up the way we wanted him to be. He's a wonderful dog and a great companion. We have many friends who would gladly take him if something were to happen to my wife and I
Guess I got kind of long winded here. Oh and he's never been boarded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	6217  

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:21 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Only negative is they don't live long enough. Lots of tears when they pass.

They let you live longer and keep your blood pressure lower. They keep you humble. Gives you exercise and enjoyment getting them out. Fun to train - particularly if you get a gun dog. Ours travel very well. Better security than an alarm system.

While I have found a few exceptions - I have found most people that don't like dogs are harder to trust. A dog can read a person much more accurately and quicker than we can.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:11 AM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I would say that it’s like so many things - when you know it - you know it! If you are on the fence about it - you probably should pass. It IS a commitment!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:05 AM   #5
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
We have 2 mini (mid size) poodles that travel with us. They do NOT shed a bit, Callie has been with us about 10 years, Molly, 5. The back seat of the crew cab is theirs and has a padded 'cradle' from Amazon. Callie has been all over the US and much of Canada (see the map) and Molly, not quite as many miles. They are the first one in the truck when it's time to leave. I have to say that these two may quite possibly better companions then our kids were and for sure, better behaved

With a non shedding pup, you will have to either learn how to groom them yourself or be prepared to find a good groomer as they have hair, not fur.

With a 'doodle, be aware that not all are well bred. Most are pretty good and have carried the good trats from their their background, others - well let's say puppy mills are not very good places to find a family pet

Our experience with friends that have rescue dogs has been mixed. Some are great, others, and unfortunately most, have been a problem. Many, and obviously not all, rescue dogs are in an adoption center for a reason - they were from a puppy mill and were from poor stock wuth health issues or mistreated or have a discipline problem. If you do end up going that way, choose carefully.

Callie is the aprocot and Molly is the silver/black
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Callie and Molly resized.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	6224  
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:47 AM   #6
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
We were on the fence for years, as we travel not only by rv but fly also. There is never really good time to get a dog, you just need to do it and change your life style to fit the new family member. We did it and were still learning as she is now a 8 month old dachshund. At first we thought we made a mistake but now were learning as ahe grows and now do not regret it.

Buy the way, she sheds so get a good vacuum.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:11 AM   #7
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Pets are a commitment.

I agree with the things that have been said about better life, fun to have, fun to train, etc, but at the end of the day, they are perpetual 2 year olds, and you'll have them for 10-15 years.

Recently, when our sheltie died (our third one), we decided that we wanted a break from that "commitment". As we get older, and closer to retirement, we didn't want the added commitment that comes along with a dog. As long as we'd travel someplace in the 5er, it's no big deal. But what if we decide that we want to go the city 3 hours away on a whim, and stay in hotels, or go stay at someone else's house? We can't just decide at Friday on 2PM, and be gone by 5PM.

We love animals, but ultimately decided that for us, at this point in our lives, we enjoyed our freedom more than we do our animals, so we opted not to get another one. Both of our daughters have dogs, and that helps, because we get to seem them often enough that it fills that animal void in our life...
Old 05-07-2020, 07:29 AM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Yes they are a responsibility and expense. Wife brought a dog into our marriage 40 years ago, and we have always had dogs, usually two, even during the moves we had to make in our years in the Army, both overseas and stateside and our RV adventures including six years of fulltiming. Often requires extra planning as we plan trips etc, but for us, always been part of our life. Now that we are gray, we were concerning about getting any more dogs, because they could well outlive us. One of the nice things our daughter said to us, noting that concern, was "stay in the dog club, if something happens, I will take them". If you love dogs, it is all worth it. If you just like dogs, maybe not.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:19 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If you have never owned a dog before, then you need to think long and hard about it. They really are a commitment that takes time, money, and energy. That is especially true if you get a puppy as the first year or two will be non stop until they get out of the puppy stage of high energy. And that includes likely chewing your favorite shoes. Or furniture. And can be expensive if they have health issues, which they will eventually.

BUT. If you love dogs, then all the inconveniences far outweigh the effort and expense. They are constant loving companions. Our first was a Cocker puppy when we were younger and she sleep between us for 16 years. Next 3 were older adopted rescue Goldens. Every one great dogs and great with even very small children. Would not trade the experiences, even the sad times of saying goodbye, and no plans to stop adopting in the future.

Don't be afraid of a rescue from a reputable rescue group. They put the dogs into foster homes for a stay long enough to determine the character of the dog and to determine if it would be a good fit for children, social with other dogs, or any other issues it might have before adopting it out. And they try to adopt out to the proper environment for that pet.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:26 AM   #10
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
Yes it does require a bit of change to lifestyle. Grooming and vet bills can be somewhat expensive. Many motel/hotels nowadays are pet friendly. Max may well outlive us as we're 78 & 76. In the meantime he certainly keeps us active and outdoors but my wife and I have always been the outdoor kind and enjoy going for long walks/hikes.
Yes avoid puppy mill type breeders. Also just because someone is asking $1000 or more for a pup doesn't mean it's a quality pup

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:20 AM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We have a PBGV. They are wonderful little dogs, always happy, funny, never met a stranger, don’t shed perfect, right? Well most of them. Ours had $500 to $1000 monthly vet bills until last year. Can’t happen to you, that couldn’t happen to us either but it did.
What are you going to do with your dog when you go to places he can’t go to. It will need to be trained and walked several times a day sometimes at 2 AM.
Make sure you are willing to commit the time and money to a new member of the family. Because that is exactly what you will have.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:41 PM   #12
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitdrd View Post
Hi , I am on the fence about getting a puppy, would love to train it to be a hearing dog. I would get a non- shedder. A puppy b/c we have grandkids living wth us and afraid of a rescue with kids. We we travel, we mostly travel alone
However not sure if we want the expense , responsibility. Training, walking early in the-am, ran, snow, etc;
Pets are a pain in the but. You have to pick up the poop walk feed water. I even got bit from some guys dog at a campsite. There comes a liberality with owning a dog. To me it's not worth the hassle. I did call animal control on the guy. Dog broke the skin. Little Dashound I hate little dogs. When i see them i get ready to sent it to the moon. Don't get a dog unless you weigh the pros and cons to having a pet.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:47 PM   #13
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Hey There,
Have you thought about an English Bulldog? We have 2 and one of them is my wife's companion dog because she is deaf. The training with them went easy. In fact the trainer that trained Rollie (wife's bully) said that she was amazed how fast he got everything.

Bulldogs do shed. But they don't shed as much as other breeds and when they do shed their hair is less noticeable on the ground, on furniture, and other areas. From my own personal experience, I think bulldog shedding is most noticeable on your dark clothing. But we love em so much that it doesn't matter to us.

Your right about the expense, walking,etc. etc., but when you fall in love with these guys and you will, then you will find out that the love you get in return is worth the time, expense, early AM walking's etc.

Good luck

Charlie
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:56 PM   #14
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
After 40 years of camping with a dog, we are dogless. We will get another once we stop traveling. We love having a dog but it did interfere with our plans and schedule. We dry camp a lot and if it gets hot, the dog traveled with us as we can't leave him in the RV. But then you can't leave him in a hot truck either. having the flexibility to stay out as long as we want or to extend our day is easy sans dog. We have left the RV parked for days while we flew off to Florida or WA.

Ziggy was a great traveler and we miss him. We will have another in the future.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:48 PM   #15
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
We have a shittoo I mean shih tzu. She was a Harvey rescue. Nice thing about a rescue is they are grown and you know their personality. She has dry eye issues. Her prescriptions are more than mine and the groomer is 3x my hair cuts.

She is not a therapy dog. But she is a therapy dog for my wife. So the costs are worth it
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:16 PM   #16
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
We have a saying, when in doubt don't. In our case we had no doubt and live with two dogs. A jackchi and a mini dauchsund. They travel well and have no issues with campground restrictions. Animals can restrict freedoms but the pleasure they bring offsets the negatives. I would rather travel with the dogs than the kids.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:12 PM   #17
tomJerram
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21376
We have 2 shih tzu's they dont shead at all and are wonderful compainions. They travel very well both sleep most of the time when we are on the road. They do require grooming about once a month.
tomJerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 01:52 PM   #18
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
Not discouraging you in any way, but if you plan to travel a lot to National parks, finding dog care can be a hassle. National parks are not dog friendly. We spent a lot of time trying to determine what to do with the dog.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #19
hitdrd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18743
On the fence

Thanks for all your replies. I opted out of getting the dog as My dh and I will be retiring in 2 years and we figure to try retirement first without being tied down. As for National Parks not allowing dogs,we have a 42 foot 5er and that might be a problem in itself.
hitdrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:05 AM   #20
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Puppy

Quote:
WE have traveled with dogs for years. Love having our fur babies with us. building so many memories. Suzie is now fourteen years old and has been with us so many places. Suzie was our first rescue with the Old Fella Burke County Animal rescue.. Old Fella was really the first rescue but under the Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue Banner Suzie was our first. She was eight weeks old and got car sick on every trip. It took her a long time to get over being car sick but she finally overcame it. I look back over the trips and memories of having a pet with us on our trips and wouldn't have it any other way. Levi was our first companion traveling, Levi was a rescue, a Australian Shepherd of good manners and a loving disposition. He was so much fun to be with, I still see him swimming in the Snake River on our visit to Colorado and Wyoming. Getting up early and letting them out to walk and take care of business is only a small part of life that builds character. Take the plunge and enjoy life with a companion friend. You will be glad you did,
Dixie Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
puppy, responsibility