Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #21
walterc2
Established Member

M.O.C. #20874
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesam View Post
I can't help with the wall separation but I believe I can solve your wet furnace problem. Water intrusion is coming from the less than spectacular seal around the cover. Mine was so bad, there was corrosion on my circuit board and my dealer gave me a new board. To solve your problem, install thin weather stripping in the channel where the cover fits.Then re-install the cover and add two screws across the top of the cover to provide a better fit. I also put a "thin" bead of black RTV around the cover. It's a shame we have to apply modifications to something so simple as a cover!
This is exactly the same problem I faced with our 2018 HC305. My solution was also the same as yours. The control board was getting wet, which messed everything up.

2018 Silverado 3500HD
walterc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #22
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Brian, whatever you need to do to feel good about the rv is what you should do...even if it is trading in the high country for another brand. Life is too short to let a rv drag your mental and physical health down.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:06 AM   #23
RLCJAH
Established Member

M.O.C. #26764
That is how we feel about our 2019 Montana High Country. It is supposed to be our retirement home but it spends more days in the shop than on the road. Now we have a roof leak. Called our camping world service representative to only be told this problem is not covered under warranty. So frustrated.
RLCJAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:45 AM   #24
Harrisden54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23419
I finally got the water leak from the A/C diagnosed and fixed in early June. While it was dripping all over the couch, I turned off the A/C and breaker and pulled the cover off the roof unit. Stuck my hand down in the vent below the A/C and it was full of water. Started feeling around inside the vent area and could feel the roof gasket on the inside of the hole cut in the roof allowing drain water from the roof into the vent which was leaking out of the vent onto the ceiling and down onto the couch.
I pulled the A/C unit off the roof, removed the misplaced gasket, installed the new gasket in the correct location, sealed the vent to roof area with foil tape and reinstalled A/C.
Been using the A/C for 2 weeks in upper 90's with high humidity and no water dripping from ceiling. Finally fixed after 2 years of having to place pans on the couch to catch the water.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:03 AM   #25
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
mUSt bE spECial

At what point do you just laugh at the little mouse on the phone. I gave up after they were caught lying more than once. Fix and pay for everything my self, not worth listening to a brainless one insult my intelligence or a rise in blood pressure. If you can`t do the repairs just pay a independent and forget about it. Caulk it up to true cost of ownership.

But some people always have a good experience with Keystone and it`s so repetitive. Happy for them.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:31 AM   #26
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I would say move up in quality but usually you are just moving up in price. Most people that buy there 1st rv don't realize just how bad these rv's can be. This is my 3rd one and it's much better than the 1st two but i just chalk it up to being lucky even though i changed out the suspension to I.S., disc brakes,pull rods , toilet and many more improvements with some being before something could go wrong. It would be nice if you could just buy it and live in it but that's usually not the case. When you have more frustration than enjoyment then it's time to let it go.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:01 PM   #27
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
Did You know Montana has been the best selling 5th wheel for 15 years now??? this is the trash I get from the sells man at the dealership... while taking it in for Repairs OUT OF MY POCKET!!!
This is supposed to be happy times rving... It usually is.. NOT WITH MY MONTANA however...

From all your posts I'm aware you are upset with your Montana. Many have issues, and lots of them, on not only Keystone trailers but every other make that I'm aware of. At some point the reality has to be accepted and dealt with. Posting constantly about Keystone and your unhappiness with them isn't really productive for anyone. You might keep the following in mind from community rules;

Customer Disputes
This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to solely vent frustrations about services, products, vendors, or sales. Please settle your differences with the seller, provider, manufacturer, or dealer through other means but not through our community.

Not trying to defend Keystone (Lord knows I've had my share of aggravations/disappointments) or argue, and as an owner I truly empathize with you, just saying I think your point has been made multiple times.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:38 PM   #28
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
The point is not made until Montana gets the point!
Old 08-15-2020, 12:51 PM   #29
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
The point is not made until Montana gets the point!

That is exactly right. Since this is not a manufacturer website the complaints would be better directed to them. As far as "Montana" getting the point, you could substitute Montana with most any make/model of RV and say the same thing. It's the nature of the "RV beast".
Old 08-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #30
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
That is exactly right. Since this is not a manufacturer website the complaints would be better directed to them. As far as "Montana" getting the point, you could substitute Montana with most any make/model of RV and say the same thing. It's the nature of the "RV beast".
I have owned 5 others.. kz new vision ultra, prowler, 2 aljos, one tahoe..... i could substitute mine with the others, just saying, this is by far the worst experience...... all my previous models,,, 1 converter, 1 window leak 1, bathroom vent cover...this has been since 92..1 ceiling molding came down..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:42 PM   #31
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
There is a part of this forum specifically aimed at Keystone. Not that they listen but some claim they do. dfb was venting problems which many of us have had. I don't think he's that far off base. Lots of good folks offered sound advice and encouragement. If we can't lean on each other on occasion then the forum isn't being utilized to it's potential. RVing isn't all butterflies and bubble gum. If Keystone would up their game a bit there wouldn't be so much animosity. The vast majority of threads on the forum revolve around repairs and maintenance. I hope dfb beats that trailer into submission and comes back with stories about camping all over the place.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:47 PM   #32
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Montana does indeed follow this post. There has been issues suddenly solved by a certain poster on this forum.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:14 PM   #33
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
There is a part of this forum specifically aimed at Keystone. Not that they listen but some claim they do. dfb was venting problems which many of us have had. I don't think he's that far off base. Lots of good folks offered sound advice and encouragement. If we can't lean on each other on occasion then the forum isn't being utilized to it's potential. RVing isn't all butterflies and bubble gum. If Keystone would up their game a bit there wouldn't be so much animosity. The vast majority of threads on the forum revolve around repairs and maintenance. I hope dfb beats that trailer into submission and comes back with stories about camping all over the place.
Thank you Montana Man... you are right on...
Old 08-15-2020, 06:57 PM   #34
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
I understand venting and I understand frustration. I also understand voicing those same frustrations, seeking help, trying to help etc. That's what a forum like this is for and I think they are truly beneficial. I guess that's what my point is; beneficial. I made my prior post because there's a point where repeated complaints about the same thing (not talking about new issues that arise) aren't beneficial. Not casting stones, more for reflection I guess. Having watched a new trailer almost disintegrate under me I know that feeling in the pit of your gut as things play out; the frustration, anger and wanting to do "something". As I said, I truly empathize and hope dfb beats those problems into submission as well.

And yes, Keystone/Montana could/should certainly up their game but that's just not gonna happen since they can't make them fast enough making them the way they do. As long as folks want as big as they can get, with as much bling as they can get, pulled by the smallest/least expensive truck they can find (read lighter) and CHEAP, this cycle isn't going to end.

This is what the disclaimer at the bottom of the page says;

"This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site."

If Montana does actually follow this forum My new MHC is in the shop and I'm pretty sure Keystone and I will get to visit very soon.....yet again.

Wishing everyone a great weekend (or what's left of it).
Old 08-15-2020, 07:08 PM   #35
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Sourdough, thanks...
Old 08-15-2020, 07:18 PM   #36
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Some pics this is the cargo area. Removed panels to gain access to black water vent and toilet pipes. Cut the pipes with a sawsall. I used rubber boots to attatch the pipes . This way, if there is an issue with the tank again, no cutting will be required. The bottom corro was removed. When reinstalling the bottom instead of the nails, i used self tapping screws with washers. This will make it much faster to remove in the future, and reinstalling. There are 2 wires for the tank heating blanket,. 4 wires for the sensors.. The blade valve was also removed. The tank is held in place by 2 rails .. 4 bolts hold each rail. I remove the 4 bolts then used a hammer to move the rail away from the.tank. Tank was drained and cleaned several times before removal. The tank is very light and came down easily. Tank was then pressure cleaned inside and out. Mesh and abs cement used for repair. Filled with water and let sit overnight to check for leaks. Reinstalled and good so far..
Click image for larger version

Name:	108E1970-3421-43F6-91CA-0E60DA4DDFAA.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	7030
Old 08-15-2020, 07:33 PM   #37
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
The tank.. out...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C2D72D92-EA73-4E6B-B2BD-1C8C6077F279.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	7031  
Old 08-15-2020, 08:52 PM   #38
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
The tank.. out...
For gosh sakes I thought you said you fixed this. You are not the first one to have this happen and certainly not the last. What are you expecting Thor/Keystone/Montana to do at this point?
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:43 PM   #39
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
For gosh sakes I thought you said you fixed this. You are not the first one to have this happen and certainly not the last. What are you expecting Thor/Keystone/Montana to do at this point?
So far so good on this repair..
Old 08-16-2020, 09:54 AM   #40
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
The tank.. out...
Did you support it from the bottom any?