Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2019, 07:52 AM   #1
Nat_Park_Travelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21914
Question Air-Ride Pinbox Advice

Hi all,

We have a 2018 Chevy 3500HD and 2019 Montana 3700LK. In January we're heading out to Moryde to have IS, 8k axles, and 17" wheels put on the 5er.

I'm wondering how much of a difference adding one of the air-ride pinboxes would make (mainly) on the truck side of things, and which one is the best to get.

My DW has a bad back (rods in her back) and sometimes those bumps on our wonderful highway system really hurts her - bad - so I'm trying to smooth out the ride overall for her while making the ride smoother on both the 5er and the truck.

Any ideas what could I do on the truck side to help this out? Don't need air springs like I did on the F250 /High Country for height, etc.

Any and all suggestions appreciated!

TIA!
Lou

Nat_Park_Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:28 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If your rig doesn't have a MorRyde pinbox, that in itself would be a big improvement. At the last two national Rallies, there have been a number of folks with new rigs trading out the Lippert one for MorRyde even though they were brand new. Kind of shocked me.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:36 AM   #3
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
My wife also has rods in her back. A few years ago we took a cross country trip. By the time we arrived on the other coast, both of our backs were "toast" from all of the chucking and bucking.

Looked at Trailair and Reese 5th Airborn. Liked the Reese better because it was less expensive plus the airbag isn't exposed to the elements like the Trailair.

Had the Reese shipped to the campground, and with the help of my nephew, installed it.

All of the chucking and bucking was GONE! Completed that trip very comfortably. Since then we did another cross country trip. Great ride.

I used to grit my teeth every time we drove over a bridge transition in anticipation of the jolt. I still grit my teeth, but the rig always glides over the transition...can't feel it at all. Would never pull a fiver without.

I alao have an F250, and the rear dropped 2 1/2 inches with the fiver hitched. Headlights were pointed upward. Since my truck has the factory overload spring option, I was able to install SuperStop SSS-3 bump stop extensions from SuperSprings. Rear of truck now drops about 1/2 inch when hitched. Truck now feels much more stable and I don't feel steering traction loss like before. Actually, we feel the truck now rides much better than without. SSS-3 was less money than timberins, and much less than airbags. Also, no maintenance.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We have a Trailair pin box. They do help. Buy the one that is most convenient for you. There isn’t much difference in them. They all do the same thing. Most people recommend what they have because it works.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:05 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We have a Trailair pin box. They do help. Buy the one that is most convenient for you. There isn’t much difference in them. They all do the same thing. Most people recommend what they have because it works.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:56 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I installed a 5th Airborne a couple years after buying our 2007. Can’t really say it softens the ride of the truck as far as softening the bumps. But it did pretty much eliminate any chucking I had. So in that respect it does smooth out the overall ride.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:48 PM   #7
Nat_Park_Travelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21914
Awesome! Thank you to all of you for your great replies!
Lou
Old 12-02-2019, 06:37 AM   #8
snowbirds R us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13088
We also have the Trailair pin box. On the first trip with it, there was such a noticeable difference and I would recommend it. The Airborne system looks as though it would be a good addition as well. Probably couldn't go wrong with either one.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:43 AM   #9
Nat_Park_Travelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21914
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbirds R us View Post
We also have the Trailair pin box. On the first trip with it, there was such a noticeable difference and I would recommend it. The Airborne system looks as though it would be a good addition as well. Probably couldn't go wrong with either one.
Thank you for the info!
Old 12-04-2019, 04:19 PM   #10
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat_Park_Travelers View Post
Thank you for the info!
Trailair on the past rig, now we have the MorRyde pinbox and it seems to be doing a good job

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:29 PM   #11
HITodd

M.O.C. #13730
Send a message via MSN to HITodd
Pinbox

I replaced our pin box on our 2006 RL3500 not long after we got it. I decided on the Fifth AirBorne pinbox. No more chucking and bucking. I used a Chevrolet dually diesel crewcab for towing. It took me a little while to get the air pressure correct for my truck, for a softer smoother ride.
HITodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:19 PM   #12
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbirds R us View Post
Like the sailboat. I had a 28' swing keel when on the Gulf. Looking forward to retiring in 3-5 years and will be joining you as Snowbirds in Florida! I'll likely get another bass boat or center console for fishing and a party barge for the lake in Arkansas. But I have been kicking around getting another sail for the big boat in Florida. This time something with a wheel for autohelm for sure! Last one was a tiller but did have roller furling. You could sail her solo but it was a chore with the tiller.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:43 PM   #13
powerhaulic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20884
Trailair here as well, dramatic improvement.
Lippert AirRide pinbox / PullRite SuperLight hitch
powerhaulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:10 PM   #14
Nat_Park_Travelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21914
Thank you again to everyone for the great input!
Old 12-09-2019, 05:52 AM   #15
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Added a Trailair before our UP trip. Was glad we did. It does help. Looked at the 5th Airborne, but it looks like the distance from the moving jaw pivot point to the pin is longer on the Trailair which should result in more damping. If you ever have to replace the bag, it looks like it would be painful in the Airborne. But, I could be wrong. If I was starting all over, I would probably get a Trailer Saver hitch.

Tags
independent suspension, moryde, smooth ride, upgrade