Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2017, 09:54 PM   #1
Mike3387
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19510
Greeting From the Great Northwest

I'm about a year away for buying our first 5th wheel. We're trying to decide between the Solitude (Grand Design) and the Montana. Both have what we're looking for, but the Montana is closer to our price range, here in Spokane. I love to research things, especially for the amount of money being spent. Both friends and family own Montana's as well as Grand design products, so there's no help in deciding from them. Also, I need to get a 1 ton Chevy truck (diesel) to haul this around. Anyway, I'm hoping to gain as much knowledge as possible before making our purchase.
Mike3387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
KIEHLS
Established Member

M.O.C. #19410
we are venturing out to full time starting Apr 2.

after several years of research and wavering back and forth between the Palamino Columbus, Solitudes and Montanas we went with the Montana due to dealer network and commonality.
KIEHLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
Dusters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19305
You are in the Best Location to get a Diesel truck through Dave Smiths in Idaho. Unfortunately they are top heavy in RAM trucks and Dodge knows how to trick out the trucks with a lot of little extras to entice new buyers. My Chevy seem to be loaded, but there were a few things I wanted that wasn't available for me at the time of purchase. Such things as better gauges or electrical folding mirrors.
This is a Montana dominant site, so a lot of comments are geared that way. Coming up on a one year anniversary with my 40 foot unit, I bought the LEGACY Edition with all the bells and whistles, weighing in at 14K pounds and quite happy with the product for way less than the alternates (SOB) were out there. Like any good product, the price has increased and living in it has allowed me to critique my choice as not 100% content. I have a small list of things I might change or consider differently had I experienced them some other way. I still admire my Montana though and can't wait for it to get out of it's Annual Check-up
Dusters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:52 AM   #4
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I have 2 friends with Solitudes and My 2015 Montana Legacy was about the same price as theirs and there is many reasons I did not go GD as they cheap out on too many things , Montana has a 12in frame on ALL models,central vacuum system, higher quality electronics Mor-ryde pin box,mor-ryde 4100 suspension, rear cap, standard G rated tires on the new Montys and they do not even have a Ceiling fan etc.. .. and their quality is no better than Montana both of theirs have been back for warranty work many times, IMO Montana is just a better RV for the Buck,Grand Designs are not bad RV's and are a nice looking unit But for that amount of cash I want the best RV for my Buck and on top of that they just got bought out by Winnabago so we will see if their good customer service holds up
Old 03-07-2017, 05:30 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You are smart to research before you purchase. Far too many people buy what someone else has bought. The only way to find what is best for you is to do the research yourself. What is important to you may not be important to me. Don't take anybody's word go find out for yourself.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:15 PM   #6
Mike3387
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19510
Thanks for the replies

I realize this site is very Montana heavy, which is why I'm here. I had to pay to use the GD Owners Forum, but it was worth it. A lot of knowledge was gained by reading all of the post from various owners. Both, Montana's and Solitudes have features that hits the top seven of features we are looking for, but dealers, availability, price and service after the sale are really our determining factors now. Looking forward to reading more comments.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:25 PM   #7
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
If you do decide on a GD what ever ya do do NOT buy from Paul Everetts Rv over here in Tacoma my friends have Horror stories about that Dealerships warranty work on their GD's it got so bad Grand Designs Authorized another Rv dealership to work on them
Old 03-08-2017, 04:42 AM   #8
Mike3387
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19510
RV Dealer

Thank you for the advice. I really would like to buy local, but the west side seems to have better prices. I plan to visit Tacoma RV in a few months.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:34 AM   #9
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I have bought 3 Montana's from Tacoma RV and they have always treated me great as they have many other Customers ,their salesmen share all commission and there is no High pressure sales that is the many reasons they are the #1 Towable Dealer in the NW by a wide margin and the "Forever Warranty " they have is a nice added Bonus too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3387 View Post
Thank you for the advice. I really would like to buy local, but the west side seems to have better prices. I plan to visit Tacoma RV in a few months.