Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2023, 02:18 PM   #1
K2 Camper
Established Member

M.O.C. #32061
2022 Montana Inverter Charger for Lithium

I have a 2022 3761 FL and I want to change the lead acid batteries to lithium. Is my rig inverter charger compatible with lithium or do I need to change it to be compatible with the lithium batteries? How can I tell if my rig is ready to just add the lithium batteries?

K2 Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 02:33 PM   #2
K2 Camper
Established Member

M.O.C. #32061
I think I found my own answer in the owner's manual. It says the following:

If equipped, the Power Center/Converter Charger has a Dip Switch to change battery charging capability from Lead Acid Batteries to Lithium Batteries. Please refer to the manufacturer's instructions for care and operation. If your Power Center/Converter Charger does not support charging Lithium Ion Batteries, the maximum charge a Lithium Ion battery can receive is approximately 80% of the total battery capacity.

Aftermarket all-in-one or stand-alone converter chargers are available in place of changing your Power Center/Converter Charger. Consult your dealer for more information on making sure your batteries are sized properly to meet
your specific camping needs.
K2 Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 02:49 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
If your converter is Lithium capable, there will be a small switch by the green blinking light to switch from LA to LI. It changes your charging profile to lithium

OPTIONAL OUTPUT MODE SWITCH:
The optional OUTPUT MODE SWITCH sets the converter output to either a constant 14.6VDC with the Charge Wizard® disabled (switch in ‘LI’ position) or a nominal 13.6VDC with full Charge Wizard® function (switch in ‘LA’ position). ‘LI’ mode is intended for use with lithium batteries with a BMS requiring a constant converter output. ‘LA’ mode is intended for use with lead/acid batteries where the Charge Wizard® will optimize battery charging.
NOTE: The OUTPUT MODE SWITCH should only be switched when new batteries are installed.
Verify battery type before adjusting the output mode switch.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 02:51 PM   #4
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
We have a 2021 3761 FL. There is a small switch in an opening by the flashing green light on the converter. If you shift it to the other position, it will be setup for lithium.
Old 04-16-2023, 02:41 PM   #5
jdvier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10130
I have a 2011 3400RL. I am thinking about converting to lithium batteries. Due to the age of the unit will I need to replace the inverter?
jdvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 02:49 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvier View Post
I have a 2011 3400RL. I am thinking about converting to lithium batteries. Due to the age of the unit will I need to replace the inverter?
Yes, you will have to change the CONVERTER (you don't have an inverter)

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 02:52 PM   #7
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvier View Post
Not necessarily...
I installed lithium batteries 3 years ago. My converter is NOT lithium ready however by using the "Charge Wizard" button (next to the green flashing light) I can get the lithium batteries to about 90%. I added solar panels later and the MPPT is set to lithium which tops them off.
I like to operate them between 20 and 80%.
They will last longer. I charge them to 100% when boondocking.
Good article on lithium batteries. If you run them between 20-80% they will last longer than your rig...

How to find happiness with lithium batteries
https://www.solacity.com/how-to-keep-lifepo4-lithium-ion-batteries-happy/
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 01:24 PM   #8
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2 Camper View Post
I have a 2022 3761 FL and I want to change the lead acid batteries to lithium. Is my rig inverter charger compatible with lithium or do I need to change it to be compatible with the lithium batteries? How can I tell if my rig is ready to just add the lithium batteries?
If you will also be installing an Inverter, make sure it is an Inverter/Charger and then totally disconnect your existing built in converter, and I mean TOTALLY at the converter supply side so it does not waste power, turning off it's breaker does not do that. I have no idea how many LiFePO4s you plan to get, but if it's 4 or 6 then the new Victron Multiplus II is the best solution. Obviously you will also want the Battery Monitor and the CERBO + Display option
Here is the Inverter/Charger link, the other parts can be found close by.
https://www.victronenergy.com/invert...lus-ii-2x-120v
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convert to lithium, inverter charger