Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
If you see a problem.... Dont Procrastinate

Well I Procrastinated and I wont ever do it again .

The last time I had the front room slide open, I noticed the tape that Keystone use to seal the trim around the slide that buts up against the body when retracted in, had some ripples in a few spots, I thought it's been to beautiful to have bad weather, I'll fix it when we get back from our trip 10 days of camping, piece of cake.

Well we had 2 magnificent days of sunshine, and temps in the low 70's then the clouds and cold weather arrived, then rain,.....then hail..... then snow I of course have forgotten about my problem on the slide and enjoying the beautiful snow flakes landing on everything and turning white,,, Beautiful.....when I noticed a stain on the Day-night shades then the curtain then it dawned on me. how could I been so darn forgetful and dumb the slide was leaking I had water comming out of the wall plug, and the cabinets were wet along with the napkins, paper plates, and the rubber mats on the cabinet shelf. what a mess.
I has not hit me yet that the floor was soaking up all that water we never saw earlier. Thank god for Sham-Wows, remember when he did the coke on the rug? well we were doing his deminstration on our rug thumping that Sham-Wow and picking up water Georgia was wringing them out while I was thumping them and handing them back to her. I then decided to tarp the slide in 32 degree with a 20 mph wind. Burrr cold. I had to push the snow and slush off the slide and most of that went on me , after my work was destroyed by the wind 3 times I was using all things heavy on the slide to hold the tarp down from the wind. finally the leak was stoped I came into the warm Monty and we used electric heaters 24 hrs a day for 3 days to dry the rug.
Were home now, and I have my work cut out for me and Eterna-bond.
I think I'll check the kitchen slide while I;m doing the work.

Don, AKA - TT2

Old 02-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Don,
That procrastination will get you every time! Sure glad I don't have that problem! Just kidding. I am the world's greatest procrastinator. Sorry to learn of your wet problem. That is such a pain. It seems to take forever to soak it all up. Thanks for sharing. It might actually help some of us. Happy Trails, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:04 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hard wind-blown rain pushed water through our Atwood furnace and through our ceiling vent covers on one occasion. Big mess to clean up. It was hard to find where it was coming from, but it was pouring into the kitchen floor and into the edge of the carpet. I found it when I stepped onto a very wet rug in socked feet. lots of mop up clean up and microfiber clothes. All that to say, "I feel your pain."

The problem has not reoccurred, but we have not had additional hard wind-driven rain either. Yes, procrastination will crawl out to bite you on many fronts, both causing material loss and financial distress.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don, are you referring to the seals that go up the sides of the opening for the slides and also across the top? Mine are fine but I've found if those seals don't turn to the proper position when the slides are extended, a hard rain will get past them and to the inside of the rig. So now I check that every time we extend the slides. The rounded edge of the awning rod slid under and up the seals turns them out properly without damaging them. I've not seen any ripples in ours, though.

So you're talking about where those seals attach to the rig is where it was rippled?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Steve,
I believe he is talking about the tape that seals the slide face to the top of the slide. Mine was rippled from the factory and I caught it 3 months after we purchased our unit. It's the eternabond tape. This video shows the slide repair.
http://www.eternabond.com/articles.asp?id=251
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

Steve,
I believe he is talking about the tape that seals the slide face to the top of the slide. Mine was rippled from the factory and I caught it 3 months after we purchased our unit. It's the eternabond tape. This video shows the slide repair.
http://www.eternabond.com/articles.asp?id=251
Mike
Thanks for posting the movie Mike, thats the problem I had Steve, I had to do my bedroom slide a few years back with out a great movie to help understand better of "How to do it" live and learn as the saying goes.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
As an old boss in the Army once told me, "bad news does not get better with age."
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Thanks for sharing this experience Don. Sorry to hear about your problem. Hope your repair goes well.
It pays to get on top and inspect all seams and caulking periodically.
I noticed that the eternabond strip in the same location as yours on our entertainment slide was starting to peel away 3 months after we got it new. Fortunately I caught it before it leaked and it was repaired under warranty. I gave the dealer specific written instructions that the old eternabond was to be COMPLETELY removed before applying new eternabond. I was concerned that the tech would just put the new eternabond on top of the old stuff. They did as I asked and all is well. It was a good repair.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Mike and Don. I was having trouble visualizing. The link is timing out on me but I'll save it and try again later.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote