Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
3togetready

M.O.C. #6824
Send a message via AIM to 3togetready
Mission Tires are bulging

Does anyone else have bulges in their Mission tires? We have a 2007 2955 RL. Before each trip my husband checks the tires. On the back side of one of the tires there is a BIG bulge! We have read on other forums this is common with Mission (made in China) tires. We can't find the manufacturer to see if they will replace the tire.

3togetready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Your tires are shot - Mission tires are no longer made, but contact Tireco below and they will fix you up with another brand.

Mission (Tireco Distributor)
800-227-8925
www.tireco.com
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Agree with Brad. I had a problem with two of our Mission tires and called Tireco less than two weeks ago. They sent me two new tires. No hassles at all. They are arranging for UPS to pick up the "used tires" as they call them. The new tires are Freestar (never heard of them). They're heavier than my Missions and rated for 3520 lbs whereas my Missions were rated for something around 3100 or so. The tire folks who mounted them told me these look like decent tires but only time will really tell.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
3togetready, ask for all 5 tires, they will send them to you. They will ask for the DOT number,(on one of the tires) it is in an inset on (probably) the back side of the tire.
They will pay around $10.00 a tire for the changing-out, and free shipping, they will pay for the return of the old tires to their location.
Good luck to you.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hmmm, they didn't pay me to have them changed out but I didn't think to ask about that. They are paying all shipping both ways, though.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:02 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I told them I wanted money to help defer the cost, so they kicked in $10.00 a tire, which didn't cover my cost, but better than nothing.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:36 AM   #7
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I had all 5 replaced, at the figures I got from here (the MOC) I was assuming 120 a tire and hopefully 10 for a change out, for 5 tire that would be 650.00, they sent me 710.00. Didn't cover my cost for the BFG's but good enough.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good for you, Jim. I think when we are rolling down the highway, the peace of mind is hard to put a dollar figure on.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:45 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I changed out all 5 of mine and put Michelin on. Since I had less than 1000 miles on them and could "see" no valid reason to change them, I figured I would not get anything back so I did not even try.

It is amazing, as Ozz stated, the peace of mind I have had on the last 2000 miles. Next will be the tire pressure monitors. I just need to figure out where I'm going to stick the next gadget in the TV cab!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:11 AM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Right on, OZ. The peace of mine is priceless. There are many opinions about which tire gives it, but all of us need to feel safe as we travel. If you don't trust your tires, all your trips have an edge of tension that steals your enjoyment of the trip. When it comes to tires, I don't want to be a Mississippi river boat gambler.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:43 AM   #11
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Has anyone changed out their Missions because they feel unsafe running them even though they had no problems at all?
Will Tireco reimburse under this situation?
I want to replace with a brand Tireco doesn't carry.
I live near Tireco,which is in Compton,Ca.
Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:01 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I would keep a eye on the Freestars also, I have a set on a 30' Gooseneck Gooseneck equipment trailer and I also have a set of Mission tires on a 30 foot inclosed car type trailer. I think the Freestars are made by the same people who made the Mission tires. Can I prove that, no but I believe their one in the same. I run G614's on the 5th wheel. Will not run China Bombs on the 5th wheel. I have run the 614's on other 5th wheels and never had a problem. I don't pull my other two trailer long distance as the 5th wheel. I do run the Pressure Pro system on all my trailers. Good Luck. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, I will keep an eye on them. They'll get their first roadtest this Thursday, then two more road days next week. Actually, I've not had any problems with the Missions so far. The two that got replaced last week were worn out on the inner edges. That's really an axle problem, not a tire problem. The other two Missions have fewer miles, about 10k, since they were replaced when that axle was replaced last year. So far the Missions have done pretty well on this Montana. Far better than the Goodyear Marathons I've had on several trailers. But, I also realize the Missions have a bad reputation and it's likely just a matter of time.

I know lots of people swap them out rather than risk keeping them on until they go bad. I'm not fully sure I understand that. We've had lots of flats and blowouts with those Marathons but never have we had any control problems. Only once did we even know we had a flat before someone told us. We heard that Goodyear pop. The other times we didn't know it until a passing motorist signaled us. A blowout or running a flat until it shreds can cause some undercarriage damage or blow out the fender skirt but so far we've had no damage to the rig. And absolutely no sway or other sign of a problem back there. Since the Missions have lasted longer than the Goodyear Marathons we've had maybe I've just been lucky and am letting that color my attitude.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #14
EJH
Established Member

M.O.C. #7737
Screw the Mission/ freestar tires, just changed them out to Goodyear 614s "G" rated, not worth the worries of a misshap on the road.

Maybe I can con tireco to pay for the replacements ?????? LOL

ejh
EJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:15 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welllll, I'm in a real gray area on the G rated tires. The more I research the less sure I am they're a good choice for this weight range. I recently read some article by some tire industry guy who said that cure may be as bad as the problem it causes. He said 110 psi is too much psi for the weight we put on the tires. And running them that high on our rigs will cause a very harsh ride that will shake the heck (not his word) out of the suspension, eventually causing damage. I suppose we could run them at 80 psi or whatever the weight to psi charts say is appropriate but what would that really gain?

Since I've never had a control problem with any of the flats or blowouts nor any damage to the rig (probably just a matter of time for that), I'm just not yet convinced G rated tires are the cost effective solution. I may be wrong but that's how it seems to me from my research.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:53 AM   #16
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I just put on a set of B F Goodrich Commercial T/A's. Load range E. At least they are made in USA.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by EJH

Screw the Mission/ freestar tires, just changed them out to Goodyear 614s "G" rated, not worth the worries of a misshap on the road.
Right on! Just waiting for fall. Dont want no shredded belt slappin my underbelly! Monty can learn to live with 110psi just like Ford learned to live with cheap deisel!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #18
EJH
Established Member

M.O.C. #7737
We had Freestar tires on our high end fifth wheel by KZ in 2006, the Freestars were original equipment load range "E". The same problems were encountered with the Freestars by KZ Forum members as have been reported by members of this forum about Mission tires. Freestars were /are made by Nanking, distributed by Tireco. I argued with KZ about the replacement of the Freestars and finally replaced the "E" rated Freestars with "G" rated Goodyear G614s, Then traveled from NH to Alaska and back, 14970 miles, no worries, no problems. Oh by the way KZ stepped up and paid for half of the new Goodyears and "graciously" let me keep the Freestars. It is my understanding that Mission and Freestars are made by the same company. So now I have 5 Freestars and 5 Missions packed away in my barn.........any one want to buy some China tires cheap?
EJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #19
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by EJH

Right on! Just waiting for fall. Dont want no shredded belt slappin my underbelly! Monty can learn to live with 110psi just like Ford learned to live with cheap deisel!
Same here! But I just saw on the news yesterday that tires will be going up in price.
We better not wait too long.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:44 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bigmurf, I put those same tires on our 3295RK. We traded the rig 7,000 miles later and that's a bit premature to judge the tires but they sure looked good at that time. Hopefully you have good luck with them. That's what I'll go with eventually, too. I almost bought a pair of them this time to replace the two bad tires but they don't make those in the 80 series. I'd have to go with the 85 series. That's fine if I were replacing all of them but I understand the 85's are a bit taller and I'm not comfortable with different sizes on the different axles so I went ahead and put on the Freestars. We'll see how they do.