Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Propane Dual Switch

Didn't think I would be asking this question after spending the last three days in 100+ degrees. Am now sitting in Provo, UT where temperature is in the 40s. Went to turn the furnace on to warm up the rv, and it appeared I was out of propane. Checked the tank I was using and the cutover switch indicator and tank was empty. Turned on the spare tank and flipped the cutover switch to pick it up. Still showed empty tank on indicator, so went in and tried to light stove burner to draw some gas, no luck. Took the full tank out from left side of rv and replaced the empty tank on rightside of rv. Flipped cutover switch back to rightside and it still showed empty. Went in and lite stove burner again and had flame on all burners. Furnace kicked in and put out heat. Still show both tanks empty on cutover indicator. Hope this makes since. Any suggestions?
bob

rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Barb & Bob,

Don't know if this is much help but something similar happened to me over Memorial Day Weekend. I knew I had one full tank, because I always run one and then switch over to the other, but in the middle of the night in 28 degree weather I had nothing. The next Morning I went to have the tanks filled and one was full, it wouldn't light right away and I thought I had a bad valve but by the time I had the other tank filled and brought it back to the trailer it was working fine. All I can figure is there was some small amount of dirt particles or something from the winter that interfered with the valve. Every thing has been fine since.

Thank goodness this forum taught me to carry a couple of electric heaters or that would have been one cold night.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Bob,

I moved my trailer out in the street last week so I could power wash the driveway.
Went to put the fridge on propane after unplugging the power, and had the same problem.
Had to flip the tank switch back and forth a dozen times before the indicator would go into the green and stay there.
I think the next time I'm close to a RV Dealer I'll buy a new switch.
When you want it to work, you want it to work...

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I just had to buy a new one this past week after almost seven years of full timing. The regulator leaked out almost a tank of propane around the lever before I caught it. My smeller doesn't work too well (wife had me sniff some ZiCam one day a couple years ago and it burned the inside of my nostrils) so I didn't smell it. Wife smelled it so I used my leak detector around all the connections -- no leak. Put the leak detector around the lever on the regulator -- presto, a leak. New regulator cost me $27 after a $20 discount (good customer, I think). New regulator works even better than the original.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Perhaps someone could explain the operation of the two tanks. I guess I didn't listen close enough during the PDI. I am currently using the left tank, I think, and the right one is open. Is this correct? and how do I know when the left tank switches to the right tank. With both tanks open, am I taking a chance of both running out at the same time? That would not be good.

Thanks

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Phil,

You point the lever at what ever line you want the propane to come from.
If you open both tanks and point the lever 1/2 way between them, both tanks will empty together.
The fuel gage (little bubble showing red or green) will stay green until both tanks are empty.
Now if you open both tanks and point the lever at just one tank, that tank will empty first & than switch on its own to the other tank.
(the lever doesn't move)just the inside changes.
When the first tank is empty the indicator will now show red, but fuel will still come from the other tank automatically.
The red indicator now lets you know that the first tank is empty.

Hope this makes some kind of sense.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:39 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We learned the hard way also about monitoring the little green/red indicator. If you are camping (RVing??) in colder temperatures as we were early this spring we went through two 30 lb. propane cylinders in just short of 4 days. If the propane is your sole source of heat (like others we have adopted the combination electric space heater - propane furnace methodology - campground electric is paid for with site - why waste our own propoane), monitor the indicator daily and fill the tank that empties asap.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:34 AM   #8
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Thanks folks for the info, we shall see this morning what happens. My furnace quite in middle of night and now it tries to start, fan runs fine, but the burner goes out after about 2 seconds, so still the gas problem.

bob
Old 06-08-2007, 06:59 AM   #9
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
What kind of elec. heaters? The little square ones?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:39 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The ceramic ones are best, but we just use the cheap Wal-mart ones. Thermostat control and tip-over protection are vital. Keep in mind that you have to monitor the basement temperature in freezing conditions since the pipes are there. Our propane furnace heats the basement to keep pipes from freezing so it has to kick on occasionally during cold nights.

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #11
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
Just a note, when you open the valve on the tanks turn it slowly till the flow begins. If you open it to fast the safety valve will block most of the flow.
WildBigBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:31 AM   #12
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pparamore

Perhaps someone could explain the operation of the two tanks. I guess I didn't listen close enough during the PDI. I am currently using the left tank, I think, and the right one is open. Is this correct? and how do I know when the left tank switches to the right tank. With both tanks open, am I taking a chance of both running out at the same time? That would not be good.

Thanks

Phil
There is a good explanation in that pile of paperwork that came with the rig. Not the worthless owner's manual, the stuff from the individual manufacturers.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:14 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pparamore

Thanks

Phil
Phil,
I operate with both tanks open. That way, when one tank runs out (the one the lever points toward) the automatic changeover changes to the full tank. I monitor the red/green flag daily during very cold weather so that I can see when a tank runs out (the flag will be red -- that is, with the lever pointed toward the empty tank). Then I switch the lever toward the full tank, remove the empty tank and take it to the refill station, come back and reinstall it, open the valve slowly and do the monitoring process all over again. There's nothing worse than running out of propane in one tank during cold weather in the middle of the night and not having the other tank turned on. Duh!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:27 AM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I've had no problems when operating with both tanks full open. The changeover is flawless and my little inside indicator from Marshal Brass let's me know I'm on reserve and need to fill a tank.

However, I left the valve closed once on a full tank, and everything fell apart on changeover. I couldn't get gas out of the full tank through the regulator, and had to switch them back and forth several times to get it starting to flow. Not to mention all the appliances were in a fail mode - fridge, furnace, HW tank, etc - and were a sun of a gun to get restarted.

Besides opening the valve too fast causing the safety valve to shut - the propane flex hoses themselves have overflow protection that takes forever to reset if you cause them to shut. Check out the hose protection in the Marshal Brass manual that came with the Monty.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:34 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rrheik, on the new Montanas there is a small red regulator on the "off" side, the side opposite the big regulator. Sometimes that small regulator will fail. I understand from my dealer they have a pretty high failure rate on those small red regulators. I understand their purpose is to avoid the problem when the tank is opened so quickly that the safety valve shuts off flow from the tank, thinking the sudden high rate of flow is a leak.

I also keep both bottles open and use the method described by others. Except I have the inside indicator that flashes when that regulator flag goes red.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:33 PM   #16
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Once again thanks for the info, everything is working fine now except the empty tank indicator. Will check it out tomorrow when I get to Montana with my Montana.
P.S. The snowcapped mountains in Utah and Idaho have been absolutely breathtaking. What a great drive up I-15.

bob
Old 06-12-2007, 03:21 PM   #17
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331

Ditto on the opening the tank valves slowly.

Bingo, 4 days to use two tanks is WAY too much propane usage. I get about 3-4 days per tank, even in 2x degrees night time temps, and we have a large rig.

Barb and Bob, assuming that the selector is on the drivers side of the rig, that side's tank has a lot less plumbing to contend with...I would start with the full tank there and the selector handle pointing at that tank. As mentioned above, open the tank valve slowly when installing it.

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:46 PM   #18
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Last night I had to borrow the left tank for my turkey frier and forgot to shut off the right tank.
The indicator was on the left tank.
We got home and had a strong smell of propane in the Monty.
Ran fan's to get the gas and smell out.
The right tank was wet with sweat so it was leaking.
Should I look at changing the change-over and regulator, and if I do should I look at adding the small regulator from the other tank.
Thanks
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:21 PM   #19
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
rrheik (Bob)...glad everything is working again. I had a similar problem with my heater after I refilled my propane tank the first time. On my 3000RK the tanks fit in tight in the compartment. because of the location of the regulator/selector switch it is pretty easy to pinch a hose when you reinstall your tank. We got enough propane to run the stove (although the high output burner wasn't very high out put). The furnace though would not stay lite. I have since relocated the regulator and straightened out the hose runs. I'll try and remember to take a picture next time to show everyone.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:29 AM   #20
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Patodonn,
I concur with your statement, the four days usage was simply the result of not knowing the capabilities of the unit. At the time (it was our first venture out) the temperatures overnight hit the low 20's. We were also using the propane for the hot water heater (thanks to this forum, that does NOT occur now.). With DW and two daughters (hot water showers and the daggone washing machine running non-stop), the usage was not only heat related, but we had every possible thing that could use propane using propane. We learned the hard way, and since that four day splurge have used one tank in the last two months. On another note, I think I actually get to park the Monty out of use for a couple of weeks starting this weekend. Every previous attempt has resulted in the family not wanting to go back to the stick house. The women are going to Nag's Head for a week, so dear old Dad is putting Monty back in the mini-storage. Unrelated, but nonetheless important, is the fact that after an extended stay (nine weeks) in the unit, we have only minor issues and are estactic with our purchase. Can't wait until July for our annual beach trip noe though!!!!
Bingo