Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC / Central Plains Region
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 08:07 AM   #1
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
traveling to CPRR?

So I'm struggling with setting up a route to Nebraska City from Raleigh, NC. The problem is amplified by the fact we will have to travel before, during, and after July 4th. A lot of usual campground are booked by vacationers.

Boondocking is not an option, so we will have to find campgrounds.

I'm looking at different options:
I77 to Charleston, WV, then I64 to St. Louis, then various roads to Kansas City, MO and north to Nebraska City.

I40 to West Memphis, then to Branson, MO. Then on to Nebraska City.

Any advice to simplify this would be appreciated.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:20 PM   #2
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
From Charleston, WV go I64 to St Louis and west until it meets I70. You can go north to MO 36 either from Wentzville, MO or from Columbia. MO 36 will take you to I29 at St. Joe and then take I29 north (that will keep you out of Kansas City) We have found several campgrounds along the way. Near Charleston there is a KOA and also a place called Jim's campground at Milton (Jim's is not much more than a parking lot so should have space over the fourth. There are several campgrounds along the way, my suggestion is to use all stays or trailer life, see where you think you will be and call for reservations. Along MO 36 there is a campground next to a RV shop at Bevier called Shoemakers RV that i am guessing may have spots. they have sites around a "lake" and some pull thrus behind the shop. That would be a day away from NE City. Just start calling and see what you find. After Louisville, KY you won't find much until you get to Mt Vernon area in ILL. this is the way we go when we go to VA to visit our son.

we have gone I40 to Memphis and across on Highway 60 to Springfield, MO and north. that is a good road too, a little more hilly but a little more scenic. The Ozarks is very busy during holidays. The KOA at West Memphis is very nice and Tom Sawyer is a nice campground right next to the MS river, It was under water earlier this spring but i am sure it is fine now. great campground, if they have spots. PM me if you have any further questions. Some Missouri roads around Branson can be rather "challenging". LC Boyer (KOLCB) will be coming up from southeast MO, and he can tell you how he goes and where to stay too.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:47 AM   #3
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Thanks, Paul. That gives me some good starting points. I'll give those campgrounds a call and start getting some firm plans with stops.
Closed Thread