Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
CMP

M.O.C. #8690
Holding tank sensor- 3400 RL

Have you got any suggestions for cleaning a sensor in the black holding tank. It shows a 1/3 full when it is completly empty. The other sensors read accurate when empty.

CMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:13 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Some dishwashing soap has been suggested, we have not tried that solution.

Or, our solution: Calgon, the laundry kind:

http://www.homesolutionsnews.us/calgon/

Use a couple of capfuls in Black tank, and 1 capful in gray or galley tanks. Sometimes add a bit of laundry soad and/or bleach with the Calgon in the black tank only, the gray and galley have enough soap in them already.

This does not guarantee that the sensors will continue to work, nor do we expect them to. We actually clean just for cleaning, not to see the sensors work. We do this with a few gallons of water when running from site to site. DUMP first, but of course!

We never expect the sensors to work.

As a side note: last winter we used softened water from the following link and our sensors actually worked. Not sure if it was the softened water or just luck:

http://www.portablewatersoftener.com/

Conditions such as water hardness will change your possible results, and your personal expectations and comfort zones will too!

Al and I have NO connection whatsoever with either company, we just use the products and have found them to be effective for us.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
What she said....
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Cheryl just bought a box of Borax laundry soap. I think it approximates Calgon? We are moving the rig approx 10 miles tomorrow. We will see how that works. We will also do this to the two gray tanks, unless someone here tells me I shouldn't...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
CMP, I have been living in our rig for about 16 months now and I quit trying to get accurate readings from those sensors many moons ago. When the Black tank burps, I empty, don't care what the sensors say. I always dump before moving and flush until clear. One of those clear extensions on the end of the sewer hose lets me know when that is. It is unfortunate they cannot come up with a better system to monitor the tanks. One company has but they are expensive, can't remember the name......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dave

Calgon is NOT a laundry soap, but rather a laundry softener.

I hear Borax may make a softener??

Let us know how it works out!
Old 08-26-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Carol, I believe that someone else here a while back mentioned Borax as a good substitute for Calgon - not sure, though...

It says, "Natural Laundry Booster"...
Old 08-26-2008, 11:40 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
In over 30 years of RVing, we've never had a black water sensor that worked right--except when the rig was new and when we had the black water tank replaced. Don't worry about it. We dump the black water at least once a week (we're full time) or when we get the first "burp" bubble back when we flush--whichever comes first.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:46 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Orv, we also use the "burp" method. Unfortunately one is always subject to being "burped" on on their backside. One of the hazards of a "rule of thumb" method I guess. Sorry, probably shouldn't have brought this up at dinner time?
Old 08-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #10
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
The owners manual for my last TT (Kmofort) said to use salt dissolved in warm water to clean the sensors. I don't remember the exact quantities of either but I recall a cup or so of salt and 5 gallons of warm water. I added it to an empty tank, drained and flushed at the next CG. Sensors worked fine after that.

Salt makes soft water so I guess it should work the same as Calgon. We just got some Calgon to try. Were just leaving on a 3 week trip so I plan to try both methods!

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Many of us simply use the "burp" method as described. Also we have over the years come to know about how long we can go before we need to dump.

If you really want to know how much you have in your tanks you will need to install some external sensors. They will never get corroded. Problem is they are somewhat expensive and of course troublesome to install. But if you "MUST" know that is what you need to do.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dave,

Laundry Booster,

YEP, that sounds right.

Burp away folks! Gawllly, we love that description! But, we all GET IT!
Old 08-26-2008, 01:31 PM   #13
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I'm now considering installing extra "No fuss" flush nozzle on my black and grey tanks. Having been under there cleaning up wiring I noted there is an opportunity to install them to allow it to flush across the buttons which might be what's needed to remove stuff from closing the circuit. Will post results once I've completed the job.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #14
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We use the burp method also, never had a sensor work right in 5 othe 5th wheels, so I don't even use them. I also empty the black tank and grey tanks before movement. Just put on enough water to flush the John, didn't need to pull the extra weight of water (7.3 lbs per gal). If we moved with our tanks full it would be Fresh 100 gals, Grey 75 gals, and 50 gals for the black, thats a lot of excess weight. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #15
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
exav8tr, The brand I think you are talking about is Seelevel. Expensive but they do work and you can get them with a switch panel just like the Montana panel, with water heater and pump switches and battery gauge. We use the burp method also but have only had a problem with the galley tank not reading because of grease. We fixed that with a cup of Cascade dishwasher powder in each of three tank fulls. We do the Calgon thing too and that helps and we are really watching the grease when doing dishes and pans... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Stop a a convenience store or gas station and pick up about 30 pounds of ice. Dump it down the toilet and drive away. Supposedly the sloshing action of the ice cubes on the inside will clean the sensors. I have never done it, but have read about it in the 101 tips for RVing book.

Also, some one here posted that they put lock washers on the sensors and it helped. Don't know the details on that one.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:47 PM   #17
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I am spending my ice money on ice that serves a better purpose than maybe cleaning my black tank. If I am gonna buy ice it is gonna be for spirited drinks, if you get my drift.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #18
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
You could re-freeze it!!!

Oops!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:17 PM   #19
vtspencers
Established Member

M.O.C. #5500
RVToday used to be on tv, sponsored by Trailer Life. I recall one program which also suggested ice. I've not tried that yet but will once we have the problem. We travel with all tanks dry.

I wouldn't recommend the burp method, but I guess it's a personal matter. We recently stayed at a campground where the septic system "burped" twice during our stay. Strong enough to blow the hose out of the ground. Good thing we have a close off valve on the main line between the coach and the travel cap. We saw that connector at the Spring 2007 Rally in Buellton. That valve prevented a burp none of us would ever like to have.

Jim
vtspencers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:04 AM   #20
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
The ice in the tank remedy has been around for years, and I still don't wanna go there.

A few gallons of water sloshing around down there is one thing, even the word "slosh" sounds soft.

30 pounds of ice banging around down there (til it melts, then revert to sloshing) sounds harsh.

Any one good at statistical possibilities, what is the % of possible that one or two of those chunks of ice is actually gonna snuggle up and clean off any ole dried up paper on one of those censors. What would the % of possible be that you would get enough chunks of ice to all particpate and cooperate and get all those sensors in one trip??

I just cannot imagine that the frozen form of water, aka, ice is gonna help, and as stated above, the thought of something rock, errrr, ice hard, in that tank bashing around (considering what we know about how these tanks do break and on and on and on), well, I just gives me the creepies.

On a really hot day, how long do you think you are gonna have ice cubes that you paid a bunch for down there before they melt?? Not long, I would suspect ------- so, why pay that much $$ for water, when you can get it for free at the campsite or dump station??

As so often stated, this is my opinion. And, I am open to learn new things, but, I have yet to hear an argument to change my mind on this one. But, I encourage anyone with more ideas about this to try and convince me, maybe we can all learn something.