Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Maybe Going To Jail

I can't believe it, I just can't believe it; We was in Florida for about 6 months, we tagged the truck and Montana and got Florida Insurance. Well Today I got a summons for Jury Duty. Now on this summons it tells me that I can request to be excused BUT it has to be there at least 5 days before the court date. Duh!! today is 08/30/07 and the court date is 09/04/07 it will take at least 6 or 7 days to get there. So I looked up the phone number on the internet to call, Talked to a lady and explained that we was in Nevada 2200 miles away and I had just got the notice.. She ask me if I had moved and I said No we are Full Time RV'ers and we have a mail Forwarding Service out of Pensacola Florida. She then told me I could not do that. Anyway she told me to fill out the form that was on the summons and mail it and she would hold my name back till she gets it...So if you don't hear from me for a while I am in jail for not showing up for court.LOL,LOL Any one else got a summons for Jury Duty becaues you have a mail forwarding service????

prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:48 PM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Lots of us have Linda but not in Florida. Texas and South Dakota (Sioux Falls anyway) just tell you to let them know when you are in the area for awhile and you can serve then. I don't know how florida handles it. Oh well, it's the in thing to spend time in jail. You could be right up there with Martha and Paris. LOL

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Quote:
quote:She then told me I could not do that.
Are you kidding me. Is it against the law to do that? Is it written somewhere that you can't do that. ROTF

You get one phone call if they throw you in the pokey, so call me and I'll send you a Pineapple Upside Down Cake with a big file in it.

I can tell you what happened to me with Jury Duty. I got a summons once, forgot about it and did not show up. When I realized it I was scared to death. A few weeks later I got a check in the mail, payment for my Jury Duty time. Needless to say I did not cash it. I figured I was fortunate enough not to have gotten caught.

Patty

RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have been residents of Livingston, TX for seven years. In that time I've been called for jury duty twice, Marge once. We've always received the notices late. All we had to do is call them and they've always said, "No problem." They understand full time RVers, and yes "they can do that." I don't know where Florida gets away with that. I don't believe there's any way they can do anything to you. But then I've been wrong before. You could move your address to Livingston, TX. That would solve the problem.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:50 PM   #5
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Perhaps Nichole R' can dedicate 60 or 70 minutes to the cause,
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:34 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ithink it always prudent to be careful how you couch your comments when addressing persons in authority. I never tell creditors or government officials that I am fulltiming and just "use" an address for mail forwarding.

First, in a free society, it is none of their business what I am doing or where I am. My response to a jury summons is the I am on an extensive travel schedule. I will cooperate with the courts by continuing to postpone my jury appearance until I am available and then will be happy to serve.

Sometimes, we can give too much information and thereby create unnecessary issues to be addressed. Believe me when I say that officials are rarely candid with you.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
I would not tell them anything other that "we are travelling" or "out of town on vacation."
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:18 PM   #8
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Stiles has nailed this one! His method reverses the burden as your cooperating even under your current "out of town" situation. If they cannot acommodate your offer then they need to dismiss your obligation or provide an alternative schedule so you can be present. It would be hard for them to take you to court asking for more of us to sit on jury duty and hear your case... "Not guilty", New York State would say the samething if you tell them too much.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:25 PM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Having been a Florida resident since starting full time in 03 I have been called to jury duty. When I received the notice I did call the number on the notice and was told to return the notice explaining I was unavailable. I also indicated when I could serve and they rescheduled my duty for that time frame.

When I did report I spent 4 hours waiting with about 40 other perspective jurors. After about 3 hours 18 perspective jurors were picked. It took another hour to get a jury out of the 18 and the rest of us were released and allowed to go home. At that time we were all told it could be 4 or more years before we would be called again. Of course this was in Pinellas County and I cannot speak for the procedures in the other counties. To this date Lorraine has not been called and we do not worry if and when her time comes.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:51 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Linda, you have to think postive about things like this. Ask them if Walt could join you in jail. Then you could store the Montana at a reduced price and save some money!

Patty, you now have published your guilt on the internet where the officials can find it!

We've been South Dakota residents for 4 1/2 years and have not yet received a jury duty notice but some day it will happen. The one time I had jury duty in Kansas I was on the jury for a murder trial. Very interesting.

Linda, I hope you get this all worked out. Please let us know.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:17 AM   #11
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
A big thanks to all of you for the great advice, I did return the paper work and will wait and see if I hear any more. Again Thanks, This forum is Best.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:49 PM   #12
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Cool new avatar Steve R. So far, I like the sandals shot best.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:40 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by virgil47

Cool new avatar Steve R. So far, I like the sandals shot best.
Thanks. The sandals shot in vickir's avatar is definitely our best side!
Old 09-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #14
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
No, no, I didn't mean that...I meant that the sandals seem to depict your constantly moving state. If you saw me in person, you would know immediately that I would have no room to talk about another's looks.

virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:54 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I took it in good fun, Virgil. I still know it's our best side, though!
Old 09-05-2007, 05:44 AM   #16
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
The counties I have lived in pay you a mileage comppensation for comming in. One time I asked for this,I was working 100 miles away and would stay where I worked for the week,they told me that I did not have to show up. They just did not want to pay for the mileage.
So you might try asking what they pay for your mileage
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:25 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Linda, are you still running or did they catch you yet?
Old 09-07-2007, 04:54 PM   #18
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
[b]Steve, I am so happy that you asked, I am still here I sent in all the paper work and have not heard anything from Florida. The court date was on the 4th so I guess that I am in the clear at least this time.. Thank you for asking I was so worried about this,in my 64 years I have never been called up for Jury duty.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #19
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
When we were full timing I got a jury duty summons from SD, called them and told them we were full timing and they said they would put it on my record and wouldn't be summoned again. Needless to say I was excused from jury duty.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote