Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2006, 06:15 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Orv.. I buy all my tools and "running stock" Snowblowers, etc, from sears (craftsman) and I agree 100 % on the need for the E.W. We have one for our home heating and cooling systems and just last week they paid a 796.00 dollar bill for furnace repair.. That is all of our premiums back with some to spare. We are going to buy one in fact we are awaiting a contract via the mail from a E.W company. We have pretty much made up our mind that it will be Warranty Services Company. It is a sad commentary on our confidence level in the products we buy. Just trying to hammer home the point that you really need to do your homework before you purchase one..There are some acceptable ones out there and there are a lot really bad ones.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:26 PM   #22
bking
Established Member

M.O.C. #4597
I have been talking to the rep trying to sell me the Warranty Experts policy trying to find out who uses it - they have a BBB rating that is good. Anyway he said the policy is issued by RV Shield. Wondered if anyone knew that name.

Thanks
Betty
bking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:57 PM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
One thing that stands out with Warranty Experts..They call it "Exclusionary Coverage"...they list what is not covered..if it is not on that short list...then it is covered. Google Rv Shield and track it down.. Rv shield is the company/corporation that actually pays the bill.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:01 PM   #24
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I find it strange that a warranty company would tell you that you only have 90 days to purchase or the price will go up. If something breaks in your trailer the warranty company will not cover it until the factory warranty expires,and that is not 90 days. I know these companies try to tie up your money for a year before they will honor anything. I took the money they wanted to charge me and put it into a one year CD. Now I take one out every six months. I have never had trouble with my 2004 Mountaineer. I am now ahead of the extended warranty scam. These companies have lots of why nots and we dont cover in their policies.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:41 PM   #25
Jim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #865
We have "The Choice Protection Plans". We purchased a five year plan from our dealer, Blue Crick RV in Spokane WA. for $860.00 on Nov. 2004. Havn't had to use it but it sure feels good to know that it is there when you need it. Anybody had any experience with this company?
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:15 PM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Montana Sky has that plan through Blue Crick Rv.. I did talk to the folks there and they sent me a contract. I evaluate it as one of the best. I did track down the "Money folks" behind the plan and they are a very reputable bank and investment group here in Ohio. None of the EW plans will pay everything all the time under any circumstances .They all set down a very specfic set of conditions that you have to meet to satisfy a claim.There are "good E.W's out there .Do the homework before you choose a plan and you will most likely be satisfied.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:13 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well after changing our minds several times we went with "Warranty Experts" for our extended warranty. It took a lot of research and a sort of Ok by a attorney friend.The best way to do it is not to get the EW at all but put 8 or 10K away in a CD or other investment for 7 years as the probability that you will use the EW is slim. Unfortunately we do not have 8 or 10 K laying about that we may not neeed for 7 years or so hence the EW. The cost was about 145.00 per year for the 7 year term.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:08 AM   #28
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Rich, I know you have spent a lot of time on this so what made you pick Warranty Experts over the others?
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:35 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is a "exclusionary" Warranty that is they clearly state what they do not cover., If it is not on the excluded list..it is covered. They pay with a corporate credit card. They are backed by "RV Shield" (the actual money folks) They have a very good BBB rating. They will send you a copy of the Warranty to review without any commitment to purchase.(some will not do that) There are others in the Warranty Experts catagory.."The Choice" for Example is a good E.W. You need to go over the contract with a fine tooth Comb and ask question so that you understand exactly what you are buying...most folks do not take the time to do that then are disappointed when the warranty does not pay when it was clearly stated what they pay and under what conditions. If you have a good attorney it is good to let then read over it. They will no doubt tell you you will be better off laying some $ aside for repairs if needed..We did what we could reasonably afford and made the decesion based on the best information we could gather..Oh..everything I just said applies to me and me only..
Old 11-01-2006, 10:45 AM   #30
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Thanks Rich, I am going to contact them. I think that is a very good price. One major claim in that 7 years and you would more than get your money back.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:05 PM   #31
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
Sounds like you have a great extended warranty. Congrats!

I have been very happy with "the choice" extended warranty I have on my coach. For the most part they have been very good to work with, paid the dealership same day of service, and cover everything they say they would including that darn Quest dvd unit. Cost for mine was around $1150 for 7 years, hitch to bumper. The other thing I like about The Choice, is they prorate the warranty out, if you sell the coach before the warranty runs out, you have two choices. 1. add the cost onto the sale price of your coach and transfer the remaining to new owners, or 2. cancel the warranty and they will send the prorated refund check to your home.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:49 PM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes, Dave.. Warranty experts does the same thing and if you do not use the Warranty during the term they return all your money. The price for the 7 year policy was about the same. I got a few bucks off , welll...because that's what I do//// They will cover the DVD, AM/FM , etc up to 300.00. I rate " The Choice " as a excellent E.W and Warranty Experts right up there with them. I had both contracts to read and compare and they were for all practical purposes identical..The E.w'are a gamble at best....
Old 11-01-2006, 02:52 PM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mudchief

Thanks Rich, I am going to contact them. I think that is a very good price. One major claim in that 7 years and you would more than get your money back.

MudChief...Call 1-877-673-1880 abd ask for ext 103 Jason Flowers. Let him know that you are a member of MOC a large Rv forum and read about Warranty Experts on the forum...might get you a small discount???
Old 11-04-2006, 06:13 AM   #34
bking
Established Member

M.O.C. #4597
After being the first one to mention Warranty Experts, I think, I am leaning towards RV Protection rather then the RV Shield. I really like their tire warranty better.

Did you look at that one Rich?

Betty
bking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:54 AM   #35
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes we did..We did not consider tire warranties..Several offer them " Star" for example. We figured we would warranty against the very high dollar failures. The Rv insurance covers any damage done to the camper as a result of tire failure and I figure we could stand the cost of new tires... Just my opinion...
Old 11-04-2006, 07:29 AM   #36
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
One thing I learned on these refundable warranties is (of course!) read the small print. I had one on my last GMC. it was good to 100,000 miles or (whatever) years. I traded the truck in at 99,000 plus miles and tried to get my money back. They would not pay because I was not in possession of the truck.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:19 PM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Humm.You made me read the contract again//Although they say on the web site that they will refund 100% of the cost of the contract if no claims are filed I have yet to find that statement in the contract they sent me to review.We will have a word with them Monday morning..
Old 11-04-2006, 12:24 PM   #38
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Rich,

In Sweetfire's example wouldn't you transfer your warranty when you sold the trailer? I'm sure yours is transferrable as is mine and it should add some amount of "value" to the person purchasing your trailer, correct? Anyway, that's just some rambling thoughts from a person recovering from surgery in CO.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:06 PM   #39
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
mac,
I am with you on this one, when the time comes for a new coach, I will include the value of my current extended warranty into the sale price.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:11 AM   #40
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Many of the E.W's proclaim "Refundable Warranties"..That is if you do not file a claim over the term of the contract you receive your money back.What Sweetfire says is...read the small print ..as he had to be "in possession" of the unit to collect..Thus far , in my case, I have not yet found the small print????? They are of course transferable but Sweetfire did not transfer. Like he says..read the small print..