Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2003, 06:14 AM   #1
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
MagneTek 6300 converter charging problems

When I purchased my Montana quite a while ago the batteries were not charging properly. I ended up replacing the batteries and found that if I shifted ACC outputs to outputs 1-6 my batteries would charge a little. Just recently I found that I am not getting any charging at all. I informed some forum members to shift the outputs but now I know that was the wrong solution. So now I will explain.

The 6300 converter consist basically of three parts: AC distribution in the upper left;DC distribution in upper right; and the converter portion in the lower half. There are outputs 1 thru 6 and ACC 1, ACC 2, and ACC 3 on the DC distribution panel.

The converter is supplied with AC from one of CBs in the AC distribution panel. The converter has a three wire output: Red,White and green. The green output is connected to the top of the DC distribution panel by a bolted connection. The Red and White wires connect to the back of the DC distribution panel.

The green wire supplies DC to outputs 1 thru 6. The red and White wires supplies DC charging to the battery (Battery red and white wires connect to the front of the DC distribution panel).

There are two white blocks on the bottom of the converter that I assume are switches for switching the battery output to terminals 1 thru 6 when power is removed.

I removed the converter and inspected it under bright light. At the back of the converter is a 3 inch white block that I think is a fusible resistor. While checking it to see if it was open I noticed the soldered connection on one post were cold joints. This explains why I did get some charging. Removed the wires, cleaned and re-soldered. Put the converter back in and it charges great.

To trouble shoot this problem remove your battery cables and check the red and white wires. If its working you will have 14-15 volts unloaded. With battery connected and almost charged it will read 13.5 volts.

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to document what I found. Also I guess MagneTek is now handled by Parallax Power Components, LLC. I will be contacting them shortly for additional info on this problems. Still testing my converter.

Tom and Betty
1997 F250 PSD/AutoTranny
DIY Exaust Brake
AutoMeter Tranny Gage
Translife Tranny Cooler
16K Draw-tite Slider
2000 Montana 2850RK

lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote