Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2020, 11:46 AM   #21
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
I went with the Andersen (there are others like it) because of the smooth ride and light weight for removing it, but the biggest thing is I cant drop the trailer in the bed because I forgot to put the levers down (lot's of stories about that across lots of forum's), one less thing I have to remember.

GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:32 AM   #22
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreG L. View Post
I went with the Andersen (there are others like it) because of the smooth ride and light weight for removing it, but the biggest thing is I cant drop the trailer in the bed because I forgot to put the levers down (lot's of stories about that across lots of forum's), one less thing I have to remember.

But there is the lever to push in ,and lock that ball. I dread the thought of that being forgotten, results could be much worse. If I was going forget something in the hitching process, I would prefer dropping the fifth wheel on the bed of my truck as I start to move. I have no idea how hard or easy it would be to bounce off that Andersen ball, but as said at highways speeds I would not like to find out.

I too tow with the Andersen, just got back home from a trip, and yes they are a pleasure to tow with.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:23 AM   #23
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
^^^ agree. I wouldn't want to find that out either. As with any setup, developing and maintaining a process is critical. Step one...lock the pin, Step two...
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:32 AM   #24
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
^^^ agree. I wouldn't want to find that out either. As with any setup, developing and maintaining a process is critical. Step one...lock the pin, Step two...
Yup, first thing when I have lowered on the ball, lock it. There are a few things we can forget, and get away with, but the pin , the lever, whatever should be the first thing to be done .
Old 08-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #25
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Not true, your coach and it’s frame are covered by warranty.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:36 PM   #26
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
The weight on that ball is so heavy it would take a frame destroying bump to bounce it off it if it wasn't locked. JMHO. But Yes procedures are important no matter what you are using.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:26 AM   #27
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
I am happy with my B & W Companion puck style hitch, 25,000 lbs.

Happy and safe roads to you.

Tom Marty
X2 Take a rest, when you use the best.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:17 PM   #28
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Well, what did he decide on I wonder?
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:47 PM   #29
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Another Anderson hitch user here ... I agree with GreG L ... about the unlikely event the fiver would pop off the bed hitch ball "IF" we ever forgot to push the lever in and turn it. If it ever were to happen ... I'd guess the event to cause it would be so catastrophic that the apparent separation of truck and fiver would be buried in the rubble pile. However, I do have a dangling red tag I hang on the Anderson lever when I unhook. You can't miss it hooking up the power cord, the breakaway cable, and securing the tailgate as you leave.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:24 PM   #30
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Yes, you will have to build a routine for sure.
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:50 PM   #31
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
Frame Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBob View Post
Before you go with any kind of Goosebox or Gooseneck hitch make sure about your frame warranty. Some wont cover a warranty with those stile hitch. As far as truck 4 x 4 is the best way to go you never know when you mite need it. Big 5er's even in wet fields I had to use it.
Agree. Having a warranty claim now and the first question Keystone asked was what was my hitch and have I modified the box or using any aftermarket accessories on the kingpin.
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #32
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradP View Post
HI, My wife and I have pulled the plug and have decided to go full time in our 2020 40ft 3855BR Montana.

I'm having trouble deciding what kind of hitch to get on my Chevy 3500 dually. I have towed with a 5th wheel hitch before but the RV dealer is recommending a goose neck with an Anderson Hitch. I have done some research and it seems both would work. So I have come to ask the more experienced. Which would be better Goose Neck Hitch or 5th Wheel??

Last question I just thought off should I get four wheel drive in my new truck?
Same here we have a 35’ Montana I pull with a F350 PSD SB with the Andersen, especially that I use my truck as a failed driver even the wife can lift the 35lb Andersen. I have plenty of clearance with the front cap can do a 90 degree and never come close also bottom of fifth wheel is 7” inches above my bed rails so I don’t have to worry

Ford uses the Factory Puck and Gooseneck ball made by Reese and that is what we have works well

If I had to go a slider it would be close to 300lbs and a pain to take in and out.
Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:00 AM   #33
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
Same here we have a 35’ Montana I pull with a F350 PSD SB with the Andersen, especially that I use my truck as a failed driver even the wife can lift the 35lb Andersen. I have plenty of clearance with the front cap can do a 90 degree and never come close also bottom of fifth wheel is 7” inches above my bed rails so I don’t have to worry

Ford uses the Factory Puck and Gooseneck ball made by Reese and that is what we have works well

If I had to go a slider it would be close to 300lbs and a pain to take in and out.
If I had known when I bought mine I would have gone different. I have the B&W slider that I never slide other than to access the front storage sometimes. 275lbs so I need an engine lift to get it out. I like the hitch but would sell it in a minute and then buy the Anderson.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:35 AM   #34
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Curious if you can close a hard roll or folding tonneau cover over an Andersen hitch? Or is the ball too high? Is the Pullrite shorter since the ball in mounted to the pin?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:49 AM   #35
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Curious if you can close a hard roll or folding tonneau cover over an Andersen hitch? Or is the ball too high? Is the Pullrite shorter since the ball in mounted to the pin?
I have a tonneau cover, and the ball does not interfere , if it did it wouldn't be a big deal, it takes just a second or two to pull the pin, and remove the ball, or to adjust the height.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:58 AM   #36
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
If I had known when I bought mine I would have gone different. I have the B&W slider that I never slide other than to access the front storage sometimes. 275lbs so I need an engine lift to get it out. I like the hitch but would sell it in a minute and then buy the Anderson.
That has been my issue removing my heavy Reese slider, not an issue at home, I have an electric hoist mounted to the ceiling. ,but when I'm in Montana for our six week summer trip. I have an inflatable one man pontoon boat that I fish with. I needed the hitch out of the way to transport my pontoon to the lakes . I either had to get someone to help me lift it out, or take it apart to get it out. I solved that problem ,I went with the steel version rail mount Andersen.

I use both hitches, still have my Reese slider, but I am leaning more ,and more to just using the Andersen.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:31 PM   #37
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Yes you can I have mine under a folding cover.
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:51 PM   #38
Snowwolfe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26974
Forgive my ignorance. I know nothing about towing a 5th wheeler as we only owned motor homes in the past.
When I order my Ford truck I know it needs the 5th wheel prep op for about $500. Will this option allow me to install the ball in the bed so the Anderson hitch can be used?
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 04:53 PM   #39
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
They make Andersen hitches to fit the factory hitch prep. But the Andersen is actually a pyramid shaped frame with a ball on top of it. The ball does not mount in the truck bed. Search Andersen hitch to see a picture and how it works.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:03 PM   #40
Snowwolfe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26974
Quote:
They make Andersen hitches to fit the factory hitch prep. But the Andersen is actually a pyramid shaped frame with a ball on top of it. The ball does not mount in the truck bed. Search Andersen hitch to see a picture and how it works.
This is what confuses me because when I researched the hitch it showed the "pyramid" being mounted onto a ball located in the truck bed. How else would it attach?
Again, forgive my ignorance.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote