Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2020, 12:29 PM   #1
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Future Res fridge install ??

Has anyone out there with a 2010-2012 3455sa or 3665re or similar unit, replaced there 4 door norcold fridge with a residential one.

Just wondering about the depth since its only a few inches away from the counter with the slide in.

beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:13 PM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Most Res Fridges used in our units are called "Counter Depth Units".
You would have to measure from the back of the fridge compartment to the counter with the slide in and go shopping from there. That old of a unit might be an issue depending on the slide configuration. I know our 2010 2955RL wouldn't have been an issue with only two slides and an open floor plan.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:35 PM   #3
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Has anyone out there with a 2010-2012 3455sa or 3665re or similar unit, replaced there 4 door norcold fridge with a residential one.

Just wondering about the depth since its only a few inches away from the counter with the slide in.
Beeje,
Before you go through all that, there is another option. If you are happy with the size of your current fridge box, Convert your current refrigerator box into a residential type compressor cooled unit. Power options are 12V DC, or 120V through an inverter, if you have one. I got so fed up with my absorption unit I was looking to go the same residential fridge rout until I found you can just replace your cooling unit in the back of the fridge. I ended up with a fridge that is BETTER than a residential fridge because this is made for RV use and has much stronger components. It has a 3 year warranty, with an option to buy another 3 year extended warranty. I figured if they are willing to offer a 3 year warrenty when the OEM fridge only came with a 1 year, they must be pretty confident in their product. This unit took my freezer to -10 below. It has never been that cold before. My fridge held 35-36 degrees constant in 90 degree outside temp. On my way home it hit 94 degrees outside and my freezer was -8 and my fridge was 36 constant. I have 5 temp settings with 5 being the coldest. My fridge is set on 3. No more traveling with the propane going just to keep my food cool. This unit has a very fast recovery, minutes not hours. From being off and warm in the box (85) this unit cooled to temp in about 2 1/2 hours. Except for the copper tubes coming from the compressor, everything is steel tubing. This unit is extremely well built. Obviously, I am a very happy camper with this unit. Let me know if you are interested in this and I’ll get you the test of the details and the web page.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:40 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Curious minds want to know what the web site is for this mysterious replacement?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:45 PM   #5
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Curious minds want to know what the web site is for this mysterious replacement?
Tom and Caitlin Morton did theirs. Lots of good info in this video:

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:08 PM   #6
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
LOL! Ok, it is JC Refrigeration in Shipshewana IN. Web page is JC-refrigeration.com They also build replacement gas/electric absorption units, but quality is far superior, using heavier gauge steel tubing. I traveled up there from Texas to have them install the unit, then visited family in Michigan. The install took about 3 hours. I had a tour of their shop. Very impressive. I could not find one negative review on their units. If folks are thinking of ditching their absorption fridge for a residential fridge, this is a better option. No mods to cabinets because you are using the box you have. Its actually better that a residential fridge because they use much stronger components. Check it out.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:22 PM   #7
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Thanks I'll have to check into this. Of course everybody is going to ask what's the cost of doing this. ?
Old 08-11-2020, 06:00 PM   #8
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Thanks I'll have to check into this. Of course everybody is going to ask what's the cost of doing this. ?
Old 08-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #9
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Depends on the unit. I have the largest Dometic fridge they make. Mine was $1085, including an inside fan kit and a relay kit. All the prices are listed on the web site and what is included in the price. Its about the same price as a new fridge. They are not cheap but I didn’t find it to be outrageous, especially for what you get. They are built far stronger than what you find in a residential fridge. I have two friends that put in residential fridge. Both of them were nightmares. Most dealers wont work on them because they ate not certified to do so. My dealer told me today they have quit selling them because they cannot service them. People were getting pissed off to find out they have to find someone besides the dealer to service them. My Montana sales rep said Keystone is trying to discourage people from ordering them because they don't hold up and are an issue to service. Ice makers spring leaks etc. They cant take the bouncing around. Just not strong enough.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:17 PM   #10
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I always wondered whether residential fridges could encounter all of the shock from running down the road. You state the cost of this is the same as a new fridge. I have a four-door norcold I think it's a 1200 maybe 12:10. Those fridges are approaching $4,000 for a new one. My ten-year-old fridge is still functioning okay
Old 08-11-2020, 06:30 PM   #11
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
I always wondered whether residential fridges could encounter all of the shock from running down the road. You state the cost of this is the same as a new fridge. I have a four-door norcold I think it's a 1200 maybe 12:10. Those fridges are approaching $4,000 for a new one. My ten-year-old fridge is still functioning okay
I meant the cost of a residential fridge. There are some cheap ones out there. Yea, the new absorption fridge are ridiculous. Mine couldn’t handle 90 to 100 degree heat. 85 and below it would do ok, but would still have to run it on propane while traveling to keep it cold, temps would rise about 5+ degrees or so but would get close to 40-42 by the time we stop for the day. Not good. Wasn’t comfortable with using propane going down the road but had no choice.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:35 PM   #12
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
This is the video that got me going this route. More on their web site. I can’t recommend them enough. Like I said, I’m a happy camper now!
Old 08-11-2020, 06:41 PM   #13
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Mine runs on propane 100% of the time I travel never had a problem. I probably should turn it off when fueling or going through tunnels or whatever but I have never done that. Freezer gets down to 5 10 degrees if I can get my wife to leave the refrigerator doors closed that'll get down 4042 Maybe. Lol. So overall it's working pretty good for now
Old 08-11-2020, 08:13 PM   #14
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Mine runs on propane 100% of the time I travel never had a problem. I probably should turn it off when fueling or going through tunnels or whatever but I have never done that. Freezer gets down to 5 10 degrees if I can get my wife to leave the refrigerator doors closed that'll get down 4042 Maybe. Lol. So overall it's working pretty good for now
I’m going to apologize in advance on this one. Lol. I spent 39 years in the food business and food safety and storage temperatures have been drilled in to me. 40-42 temps are too warm. Bacteria growth starts in earnest at 40 degrees and the warmer it gets the faster it happens. Your food wont spoil overnight but the shelf life gets a lot shorter. I keep my fridge at 35-36. Like real cold beer! Lol. Target temp is 38 and below. If you can maintain 38 or below that’s great. My problem is my grandkids! Alway yelling at them to close the door!!! Even at home. They are getting better though thank God. Well, if you decide to take the leap these are good folks and will treat you right.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:06 AM   #15
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Your grandkids are the same as my wife. I constantly find her in the RV fridge with both doors open staring into it. I'm trying to train her to know where everything is in there and get it quickly
Old 08-12-2020, 04:08 AM   #16
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Most would not agree the Google says the ideal temperature for beer is 44 degrees
Old 08-12-2020, 04:49 AM   #17
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I watched the JC install video. It states to only stand up the unit a certain way. Tell me how it can be delivered and not handled in a way it would be damaged ? The delivery guys could care less about your package.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:16 AM   #18
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
Some places have stopped installing res fridge in to trailers. I read its to hard to work on you need to remove the whole slide.
vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:07 AM   #19
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
They should make a lot of money on this. The price is cheaper than a new cooling unit. When operating on 12V do you know the amp draw? Is the TV able to supply the needed amps?
Do they have a DIY kit? Question probably answered on their web site and will check later.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:25 AM   #20
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Your grandkids are the same as my wife. I constantly find her in the RV fridge with both doors open staring into it. I'm trying to train her to know where everything is in there and get it quickly
😂 LOL! That’s too funny. That’s exactly what the kids do and exactly what I tell them!