Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2021, 06:32 PM   #1
LBlack

M.O.C. #24512
Painting the Montana Slide Outs

I was wondering if anyone had painted the slide outs on their Montana? At least on my 2018 Montana High Country 381TH, the slide outs are black except for the roof. Black is not the greatest of colors in Oklahoma summer time. Today was our first 100 Degree day this year and of course the dual AC units could not hold the temperature below 83 in the front living area and 77 in the bedroom. So now we are looking for ideas on how to keep this beast cool in the summer. We are open to anything!!!!

LBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:57 PM   #2
carlrx7
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27783
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBlack View Post
I was wondering if anyone had painted the slide outs on their Montana? At least on my 2018 Montana High Country 381TH, the slide outs are black except for the roof. Black is not the greatest of colors in Oklahoma summer time. Today was our first 100 Degree day this year and of course the dual AC units could not hold the temperature below 83 in the front living area and 77 in the bedroom. So now we are looking for ideas on how to keep this beast cool in the summer. We are open to anything!!!!
The DW does vinyl graphics and she thinks a really good vinyl installed underneath the trim would be your best bet. I was thinking of doing the same because I measured an 80 degree delta between the white sidewall and the black slideout sides. Black looks good, but yikes!!..
Old 06-18-2021, 04:50 AM   #3
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Not one of Keystone's best ideas!! (tho looks nice)

When we considered doing this to our '14 HC, I talked to a custom paint manufacturer. It isn't easy, to say the least. You need to scuff that plastic well then use a flexible primer, possibly an epoxy then apply a good top coat which will also be pretty flexible. Too much for me to do without an enclosed building. Instead of painting, I used Reflectix and 3m sticky back hook and loop tape. Yes, kind of a pain but it worked well even in 100 degree plus days when we went to Utah, Nevada and South Texas

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Reflectix/N-5yc1vZ19n

https://www.amazon.com/3m-hook-loop-...+and+loop+tape (Velcro brand adhesive will not hold up in high heat)
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:14 AM   #4
unclesam
Established Member

M.O.C. #18286
Painted mine with left over garage door white paint. No prep and it hasn't peeled off . Looks pretty much like when I painted it 3 years ago. No need to make a simple project difficult.
unclesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:29 AM   #5
carlrx7
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27783
Can you share a photo?
Old 06-18-2021, 07:53 AM   #6
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesam View Post
Painted mine with left over garage door white paint. No prep and it hasn't peeled off . Looks pretty much like when I painted it 3 years ago. No need to make a simple project difficult.

Deleted - too snarky
Old 06-18-2021, 05:04 PM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Question? are you looking to paint the outside wall of the slides? or the side walls. On mine, the side walls of the slides are black. I can't imagine painting the outside walls with the graphics and such.

I did some touch up on one of my slides not too long ago. The black side material was separating from the metal trim on the bottom, allowing rain water to weep up into that particle board material and causing it to swell and look bad. I pulled the screws and laid a wider piece of metal against the metal frame on the bottom and it's about a 1/3 inch higher, above the exposed and swelled area. After screwing it down tight, the swelled material flattened out, and with a pound or two of liquid nails behind it all, it will never, ever, ever get water damage again.

The only problem was, that strip of metal I put on there was silver colored aluminum. So, I spray painted the new aluminum strip and the surrounding area with Professional Rustolium (black) and it blended it wonderful. You absolutely cannot tell I laid a layer of metal over the top of the old frame.

Meanwhile, slide in - slide out - slide in - slide out, and the paint has held up just fine!

Yes, you can do it! But I strongly advise using a paint that's made for metal, or an automotive spray paint, you can get at any automotive parts store. House paint is too soft, and the rubbing back and forth of the seals will cause it to flake off. Automotive paint or paint for metal will hold up. On every camper I've ever had, I've used black Rustolium for touch up, covering rust, and repainting. It's always held up well. There are other brands out there, but I think they are all attempts to do the same thing that Rustolium already does.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:44 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You can buy plastic wrap. It comes in different colors. It stick on and easy to use. It’s made for cars and such. A friend wrapped his Can Am Ryker motorcycle. It looks great. Google and see what you find.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:38 AM   #9
unclesam
Established Member

M.O.C. #18286
RV slide paint

see attachment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_rv slide paint.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	9435  
Old 06-19-2021, 09:10 AM   #10
unclesam
Established Member

M.O.C. #18286
If you pick on the picture, it will enlarge and rotate 90 degrees so you don't have twist your head
Old 06-20-2021, 09:33 AM   #11
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
I would have them wrapped instead of painted. Much more durable and flexible.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:12 AM   #12
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
I would have them wrapped instead of painted. Much more durable and flexible.

On our HC those ends are not smooth but 'nubly' and a real bear to prep and paint correctly and probably impossible to wrap and keep that in place
Old 06-23-2021, 03:13 PM   #13
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBlack View Post
We have what are called slide toppers. That keeps the sun off the roof of the slideouts. Any sun hitting the sides is at an extreme angle and if I could remember my high school trig I would tell you they are only getting the equivalent of maybe 10% of the roof. If you don't have slide toppers, that should be the first step. I doubt you will notice any difference thru the sides, they are shaded most of the time and as I said at a huge angle.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:31 PM   #14
dennis hogan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17659
In the summer here in Texas we use the same material like your front windshield sun protector when you park your car. You can find it at Lowes/H.D. back in the insulation section. It comes in different size rolls and just cut to fit. Work fantastic on the sunny side of the camper. Cuts down the heat tremendously. Sure you cant see out that side until the sun moves but We like it cool and the A/C doesn't have to work as hard. Plus we are outside most of the time that's why you camp isn't it to enjoy nature and meet people.
Cannon Ball Express Train air Horn 185dB
dennis hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:32 PM   #15
dennis hogan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17659
Sorry to fit your windows.
Cannon Ball Express Train air Horn 185dB
dennis hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:49 PM   #16
ShaneGreen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22218
Those slide side panels delaminated on mine. But only the ones that were facing the sun, so yeah, the black color was a really bad choice.

If you clean them with a little dish soap and rinse with a lot of water then a good quality vinyl sticks to them nicely. Even with the bumpy surface and rubbing against the slide seals. I've made custom graphics for a handful of slide ends and none of them have come off yet. If you do have it wrapped insist on a professional grade material such as Oracal 651 exterior vinyl or 3M reflective.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:50 PM   #17
Sokcap48
Established Member

M.O.C. #27141
Here is what I use, only if I am going to be set for a couple days. The draw back is you need a ladder, to install and take down. Toppers are great but I also think the sides are important also. That southern Utah and AZ sun get Hot on the sides also. I one I showed I use over the kitchen slide to help the refer, and it Does help. I cut it to size to fit tightly. Being silver it reflects the sun and creates some air space. I roll it and store it in my front bay. It is sort of like windshield reflector material.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...1&d=1624488323
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9F1EFD2C-D4DC-41C8-88E2-6DBED25CEF92.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	9468  
Pullrite Super Slider
Sokcap48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:10 PM   #18
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Now, what to do about that @&$?! Black end cap!
Old 06-25-2021, 10:34 AM   #19
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
Reflectix is a good idea.

Maybe Keystone will read these comments and change the color to white. Black is not a good color, scorching hot.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 11:02 AM   #20
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davekendall1@yahoo.com View Post
Reflectix is a good idea.

Maybe Keystone will read these comments and change the color to white. Black is not a good color, scorching hot.
Our 2018 3811MS is white with dark slide toppers. The slide toppers are a long way from any part of the RV so being dark is irrelevant. They may actually help in cooling the top of the slide as the hot air rising will pull in cooler ambient air between the slide out roof and slide topper.
Our south facing side of the RV has one smaller slide but it also has a very big awning over it so the high sun in summer never gets on the slide except for a couple hours during sunrise and sunset. Since the suns rays will be at an extreme angle the heating effect is vastly reduced. If it is a problem for you though, the reflectrix is a much better solution than painting. Not sure how you will fasten them though, maybe draped over the entire slide with weights hanging from the bottom to hold it in place. Anything like magnets or velcro will get scraped off the first time the slide closes. Good luck.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote