Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2022, 03:31 PM   #1
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
Repair slide out roof help

The roll out material on one of my slide outs has come loose from the RV body and is actually kind of rotted, but all else looks good. It looks to me like there is excess material on the roller bar when slide out extended. Can I somehow use that excess, trim what attaches to the RV, and push newly trimmed rubber into slot? Looks just like replacing a screen to me. Just get the rubber strip, stretch it, then roll it in with the stretched rubber just like putting a screen in a frame.
If I am correct then how do I release 2 inches of the excess on the roller?

Well crap, I dragged the images in here but on preview they are gone. I'll try attachment
Attached Images

KausalityKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 03:48 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
First: Posting pictures on the MOC isn't too difficult once you know the process. Lots of members do just that. Be sure to take the photo in Landscape mode.

Go to https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=70323 and read posts #8 and #25.

Second: That looks like a slide topper that has come loose. I seem to recall this ia brand new RV so the dealer should take care of it for you.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:40 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I think his RV is a 2019 381TH...probably not a warranty issue.
I dont have slide toppers - but if i was in your situation i would remove the fabric - since it is already roached - cut it at the gutter, roll it up on the roller and wrap a bungee or two around the fabric on the roller to keep it rolled up during travel.

This would buy me some time until i ordered a replacement fabric and watched several youtube videos showing me how to replace the fabric.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:53 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
If me, I would just order a new topper cover and install. With two folks, easy job. I replaced the living room slide topper on our rig last winter. Paid around $350. Spring tension is the one thing you have to be careful with.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:02 AM   #5
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1retired06 View Post
If me, I would just order a new topper cover and install. With two folks, easy job. I replaced the living room slide topper on our rig last winter. Paid around $350. Spring tension is the one thing you have to be careful with.
If that is the case then I might try that, but my initial search on costs came back at averaging $1,500. I'm sure that is with installation. I like to try and fix things myself and it appears to me that if I could access what looks like excess material on the roller bar I could fix it quickly like putting in a new screen. If so, my cost would only be labor which is what I charge me per hour. I'm pretty cheap when I hire myself for labor.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:20 AM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
On the wall side, the fabric has a loop sewn into it, then a bead slides into the loop, then you slide it into the channel on the wall.
If you have a sewing machine, cut off the frayed part and sew a new loop if you have enough fabric on the roll.
Check your other toppers for that bead backing out. Happened to me. I put a stop screw through the end of the channel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220629_131429.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	12342  
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:59 AM   #7
C&P RV
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30294
We had to repair / replace several slide toppers on our 2014 Montana 3850FL. We found a vendor that does upholstery repair and took them several slide toppers to have the sun dried/damaged material cut away and a new seam sewed into the section that goes into the rail on the side of the RV. You can only do this if there is enough fabric to completely wrap around the tube at least 1 1/2 times when fully extended.

We had to get one new slide topper because it would have been too short after the bad material was cut away. We got a new 96" x 40" slide topper from Tough Top Awnings for under $150 and did the install ourselves. We made a video that shows how we did it:

You should probably check all your other slide toppers as well. I see you are from Jacksonville - so probably as much sun exposure as we get in south Texas!
C&P RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:53 PM   #8
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Excellent video!!!
Thanks for sharing
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:20 PM   #9
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
Thanks to you & Daryles. Exactly what I needed to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1retired06 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM7018 View Post
We had to repair / replace several slide toppers on our 2014 Montana 3850FL. We found a vendor that does upholstery repair and took them several slide toppers to have the sun dried/damaged material cut away and a new seam sewed into the section that goes into the rail on the side of the RV. You can only do this if there is enough fabric to completely wrap around the tube at least 1 1/2 times when fully extended.

We had to get one new slide topper because it would have been too short after the bad material was cut away. We got a new 96" x 40" slide topper from Tough Top Awnings for under $150 and did the install ourselves. We made a video that shows how we did it:

You should probably check all your other slide toppers as well. I see you are from Jacksonville - so probably as much sun exposure as we get in south Texas!
To someone else, yes I have a 2019 381TH - And I love the floor plan.

This is exactly what I needed too see and hear - with a video no less. Interesting that I went too Lippert and they have every imaginable gear, motor, gadget, etc. Except what everyone is calling the topper material.
I do have 1.5 turns of excess material and until you and Daryles pointed out the fold over I would not have McGyvered it out. Looking only at the damaged side I was convinced it was exactly like replacing a screen. Bad thing about DIY is that you don't know what you don't know.
I'm not sure if I'm going to try and use the existing material or buy new. At the price point you paid I can live with and won't feel like I'm dumping a lot of cash to fix something I can probably do myself with the existing material. I'm not opposed to spending money on maintenance, just unnecessary spending.
I can see that it will be challenging. Anything with springs and tension can be difficult.
Yes, I'm in the sunshine state where UV rays will suck the life out of everything, but overall the remaining material has some legs left on it. Yes, my mother has a sewing machine, but the question is can I sew a straight line. Walking one can be difficult on some days if you know what I mean.
This is why I love this site and am glad I got a Montana.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:02 AM   #10
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Great video Clark & Peggy - inspires confidence for when the time comes, as we all know that it will.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote