Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2020, 08:22 PM   #1
cosninocanines
Established Member

M.O.C. #9137
Finally I have my own Montana

Just purchased a 2018 3121 RL and have a few questions the dealer couldn't answer.
1. What does ODS stand for in the leveling system. there are 2 valves/knobs under the electronic board that I need to know what they do.

2. Will I drain the 12 volt system leveling while boondocking?

So happy to finally join the Montana Owners as a real owner.

Mike

cosninocanines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:52 PM   #2
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Welcome. ODS generally means opposide door side. The valves allow control of opening one, or the other, or both slides at once. Turn a valve and run the slides and see what happens. Pretty simple once you see it. You will not drain a good battery just leveling.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:21 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
cosninocanines-- It all depends on whether you drain your battery on how much you use the battery for unhitching and leveling. You do not say how many batteries you have and also if you will be using a generator while boondocking. A single battery will wear down pretty fast if not charged by either using a generator or charging it with your tow vehicle. My recommendation is to have at least two heavy duty marine batteries or the equivalent in 6 volt or lithium batteries.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:20 AM   #4
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
What MontanaMan said on the ODS, it's "opposite door side" and DS is "door side". The dealer tried to tell me DS was "driver side" which here in the US is actually ODS, left side, or the side opposite the door. That's a lot of abbreviations! Anyway, it's better than using left/right as half of the people would have the opposite perspective using left/right. Oddly, you'll also see/hear people use curb-side which I think is ODS, but based on the context, not sure at times. I currently only have 1 group 27 battery and I can run auto level and slides several times without depleting the battery. Make sure your tow vehicle is actually charging the battery while drive, that should help too. I learned with my Ford that I have to hit the brakes once or twice with the trailer connected to get the charging circuit to activate.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:03 AM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Congratulations and welcome.
When you are connected to your tow vehicle (TV) you can charge your house battery via the 7 pin umbilical cable.
You can watch the voltage increase on the level up control panel when you connect the cable with the engine running. I have an F350 and have to press the brake pedal for the relay to activate the charging circuit. I'm not sure if Chevy or Ram have the same thing.
Good luck and safe travels
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:48 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! I would agree with all the above and also add that while you won't drain your battery setting up, your lights, controls boards for the appliances, propane detector and more will all drain your battery so most folks that boondock have 2 batteries at the very least.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:01 PM   #7
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosninocanines View Post
Just purchased a 2018 3121 RL and have a few questions the dealer couldn't answer.
1. What does ODS stand for in the leveling system. there are 2 valves/knobs under the electronic board that I need to know what they do.

Mike
Congrats on your new rig!!!!

Your residential refrigerator will deplete your batteries fairly quickly if not plugged in or running a generator.

If you're going to be boondocking you'll probably want to look into a solar setup. Here is what I'm working on.

I've currently got 800 watts of panels on the roof wired in a series of two groups of 48volts to keep everything below the 30A limit of the solar prep. It's all connected to a Renogy Rover 60A MPPT charge controller in the basement. This configuration will run our rig with fridge all day long without breaking a sweat. (I'm not sure how the batteries will hold up overnight so I run the generator when the sun goes down).

The next phase is moving low amp 120V circuits from the power center to a sub panel fed via 30A breaker in the power center or 3000W power inverter powered off lithium batteries via a 30A automatic transfer switch. This will power all of the 120V outlets as well as the fridge and microwave. This is all happening as my budget will allow. The panels and charge controller are the least expensive, the first logical step, and easiest to install.

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:19 PM   #8
Badd857
Established Member

M.O.C. #27505
Could you post a picture (or anyone following this thread) of the two knobs you refer to as under the electronic box ? I have been trying to find these valves that isolate the slides. Thanks
Badd857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:26 PM   #9
cosninocanines
Established Member

M.O.C. #9137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badd857 View Post
Could you post a picture (or anyone following this thread) of the two knobs you refer to as under the electronic box ? I have been trying to find these valves that isolate the slides. Thanks
I will be with the trailer Friday afternoon and will post the picture if nobody else has posted one.
cosninocanines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:34 PM   #10
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badd857 View Post
Here you go.
Wish they would just say "Left" and "Right"
Try it out, you won't hurt anything.
Need to have a good charge on your batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Level up.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	7755  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:02 PM   #11
Falcon
Established Member

M.O.C. #26505
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosninocanines View Post

Mike
In reference to ODS, I agree left and right would be easier. I can't imagine why that would confuse anyone. Whether it's a truck or car, an aircraft, whatever, it's always referred to from the driver's (pilot's) position. What I don't like is street and curb side. It's easy to understand, but why put all the utility connections on the street side when you would like it to be on the curb (right) side when you park it at your house. Street and curb are used in a larger industry context including cargo handling containers and non-RV trailers. Here's the MOC list of abbreviations:
https://montanaowners.weebly.com/abb...itialisms.html
Airbags, Andersen Hitch
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote