Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2017, 11:22 AM   #21
Evergreen
Established Member

M.O.C. #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
You might check the specs of both units to see what each leg is actually putting out. The junction box on all the units with a 5500 is rated for 30 amps. There is a post of mine on the forum that gives the exact rating per leg for a 5500 which is less than thirty amps there for allowing Keystone to use the 30 amp rated junction box and 10awg wire. The 6500 might require bigger wire and a better box. Can't tell you much about the transfer switch other than mine hums quite loudly when plugged into shore power. As stated before it is supposed to be able to run both AC units with some extra left over. Better look at upgrading your tanks to at least 40's as the tanks go dry quite quickly. My connection from the generator to the 10awqpg in the junction box nearly caught fire. All the tape was burnt off and or melted along with the wire nuts. Could have been real ugly, lucky it was a metal box and it was so hot you couldn't touch it with your bare hands. Be careful whichever way you go and it wouldn't hurt to double check the installation.

Tom Marty
Thank you Tom,!!
I will read your past post on this.
figured I would have less stress (ie. wires melting) with a higher KW power source? your advice certainly brings up several good points, and something I need to look into. I will be sure to check this out prior to installing a higher than spec'd KW genset.

Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:57 PM   #22
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
All after market. I purchased the pedestal and shroud from my dealer. Know someone at Cummins for the generator, control panel and harnesses. Picked up the transfer panel online. Lots of resellers. I installed the controls and wiring with help from a local friend for the shroud and mount.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:01 AM   #23
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I have the 6.5 and I have tested it by turning on everything at the same time and it will run everything. What ever you can run on a 50 amp service you can run with the generator.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:46 AM   #24
Evergreen
Established Member

M.O.C. #20274
Thanks Mudchief, based on all of the great input in this thread and confirming amp/gauge/power I think it's a go on the 6.5 Kw. I'm looking into the pros and cons of gas vs. Lp based on loss of HP at elevation gain.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:53 AM   #25
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think that is a smart move. With the LP you are looking at 7 HP. With the gasoline model you have 8.4 HP at 10,000 with the 5500 watt unit.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:12 PM   #26
Evergreen
Established Member

M.O.C. #20274
Based on the education I've gained from everyone on this thread I am going to take some time to investigate Factory sizing from stem to stern. Dam worker sure opened my eyes to the danger of Wiring being undersized. We have an electrical department at my company, I spoke with our master electrician, he is going to help me with genset sizing at 10,000 ft along with the wiring from factory, and retrofit if needed to ensure we're not pushing the envelope.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:58 PM   #27
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Smart move!
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:39 PM   #28
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I realize that our rigs have a place to install a generator and can be towed with one in the front compartment, but something to consider is how much more weight will be loaded on the pin box and hitch. Will your tow vehicle be able to handle the extra load? and with that extra load there is additional stress on the frame of the trailer. Just some things to think about. We were advised when we bought our rig, by the salesman (who was much smarter than most), that installing a generator in the bed of the truck might be a better option, and much more efficient because of the fuel source not being your propane supply.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:17 AM   #29
Evergreen
Established Member

M.O.C. #20274
Makes a lot of sense considering the amount of stress I hear on the front jacks when in the "drop jacks mode". My last 5th wheel was not equipped with a generator and I had to muscle the darn thing all the time. Lower back issues won't allow that sort of thing anymore. The 380th has a garage where rolling one in and out could work but hen I lose my parking for the bike. Is 250lbs for a 5500,6500,7000 Onan. I've got an ear of an engineer at Keystone and will run it by him. I will also check the pin box spec, truck spec for this. 290 is a dry weight. Either gas or propane will need to added. Thanks Bob!
Old 08-06-2017, 07:18 AM   #30
Evergreen
Established Member

M.O.C. #20274
290 lbs dry for a 6.5 and 7k