Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
My dad had a mini-stroke

As I was in the coffee shop on Thursday so excited about moving to our new campground, I got word from my cousin in Florida that my dad had suffered a TIA on Wednesday afternoon. No one had been able to contact us at the other campground. She had sent me an e-mail that I got in the coffee shop.

My dad is fine, no permanent damage was done and he has completely recovered. They said he had a piece of plaque break off the wall of his corotid artery and flow to his brain. He was speaking at the time and lost is ability to speak, but only for a few seconds. He is fine and back home.

Geesh, that's a perfect reason why I need internet. Praise God he is ok. I sure do love my daddy.

Tammy

Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Tammy, so sorry to read about your Dad but happy to read he's doing well. We'll keep him in our thoughts & prayers. I love my Daddy too, he's a great man.

Hugs, big ones! Definitely you need to get the Internet. I assume that's hard to do up there in Alaska?

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
You and your father are in our thoughts and prayers, Tammy.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Tammy -

I'm glad your Dad is doing okay. TIA's can be a warning of future issues, so make sure he takes it serious. I learned a lot more about strokes last year when one of my Engineering Managers had a stroke - and he was younger and in better shape than me. They thought his was a TIA but he kept having them and they found he had a clotting disorder. Be sure and make sure they do a thorough check out on him with follow up. But, be thankful that there's no permanent damage. Best of luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:40 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We will praise God with you about your dad's recovery. That is real scary. Hope those positive changes in your situation come soon.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:47 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Tammy,

What a stressful situation that is. We are so glad to hear he is better, that you now have reliable internet. Good thoughts for you and your dad!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:46 AM   #7
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
So sorry to hear the news of your dad Tammy. Mine and Nancy's prayers are with you and your family.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:20 AM   #8
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Tammy,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family for your dad's continued recuperation and good health.

Robin and Doug
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #9
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Tammy,

I'm glad your dad is doing well after what can be a very serious problem. Us guys don't say this out loud too often, but I love my dad too. He is my best friend. After losing Debbie's mother a fews years back, we really treasure the time we have with our parents.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #10
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Prayers and best wishes also tammy from us. Very glad he is doing so well these things are very scary. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:34 AM   #11
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Thank you all for your love and support. I am so greatful he is ok.

Lamar, you already know the story of my brother and sister-in-law, and why I have a fondness for you and Debbie. For those that don't, one of my brothers is named Lamar and his wife is Debbie! No, not the same folks! But anyway, I buried my mama when I was 14 and all I could think of while trying to contact family was that I was going to bury my daddy. But the Lord saw fit to let me keep him a bit longer for which I am greatful.

Thanks again! What a wonderful Montana family I have!

Tammy
Old 04-06-2008, 10:59 AM   #12
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Tammy,

Glad to hear that it was a minor stroke, but as posted by others he should be checked out. Thank goodness this was just a warning. My mother had a stroke and did have brain and sight damage from it. I lost her in 1996 so I know how much you miss them. Prayers are with you and your father.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #13
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I guess I should tell y'all the tests they ran. Let's see, he had a CAT scan of his brain - all fine. He had a sonogram of his corotid artery - no blockage to speak of. They did an echogram of his heart - very healthy. They ran every possible blood test they could run and everything is in normal range. He will be 80 this September and he said he had doctors coming to his room that weren's his doctor just to tell him he's the healthiest man they've seen in a long time for his age. Made me feel really good to hear that.
Tammy
Old 04-06-2008, 11:44 AM   #14
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Tammy; Of course you love your daddy. And I am so glad that he is doing fine now. Strokes are so scarey. He was blessed.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Sounds like he is going to go another 80 years.

God bless you all.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #16
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
Tammy,
As you know Robin (EEOSKI) and I live here in Florida and if there is anything we can do do not be afraid to ask we are here to support with all we have.
The same goes for any of the MOC members. an E-mail will get what every we can do to help.
We have property that can be used by anyone that has en emergency and needs a place to park.
We are living full time near Orlando and Ocala.
Just ask we are here to help

Doug
Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #17
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Thank you Doug! My daddy is in Ocala. We are hoping to get home this summer for 2 weeks. Bernie is still on "on call" for Federal jury duty through mid May. When we get there, we will be sure to give y'all a head's up and we are taking y'all to supper.
Tammy
Old 04-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #18
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Tammy,

Are you bring the Montana or are you flying/driving from there? We plan on being out of town the week before and week of 4th of July (annual reunion of the motorcycle group members from Naples, Italy up in Mosheim, TN) other than that we'll be in the area.

The property Doug is referring to is in Marion County just south of Hwy 42. It is where the "forever" house MIGHT be built someday. When Doug first retired from the navy in '86 we purchased five acres adjacent to my parents' property and put a double-wide on it so there is septic, water, and electric available. (Sold the double-wide in '97 when we went to Naples.)

The offer of emergency site is sincere...those of you former military members definitely understand "We take care of our own." and the rest of the MOCers seem to "get it" as well! Umatilla is about 40 minutes from Ocala and about 1 hour from Orlando. (Some of you may be familiar with the area as I recall someone referring to the "Old Mill Stream" RV park in another thread a few weeks back.)

Even if we aren't in the local area if/when the need arises, my parents and sister are "on-site" as they own the property adjacent to ours and Mom and Dad own a SOB 5ver and can help out as needed as well. (Don't worry we are always volunteering one another to help out, provide an emergency bed, help out with sightseeing, etc. Have had people knock on our door in Japan, Italy AND Bahrain!)

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:05 PM   #19
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Robin,

Oh no, we will be flying. It would take wayyyyyy to long to drive down. We will be spending time with Bernie's folks in Georgia, his sister in Jacksonville and my family in Ocala. I won't be there the 4th of July cause I'm going to be here watching the idiots, I mean brave folks, run up Mt. Marathon!!

Once we get tickets (we will fly Alaska Air into Orlando) I'll give you a heads up. I'm hoping to come in June, but Bernie has 2 out of town conferences he is going to and I'm not sure how much time he has between the 2 conferences. So, if not June, it will be after the week of July 4th.

Tammy
Old 04-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #20
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Our thoughts are with you also. I am sure your dad will do well,he has faith. My father in law used to get tia's quite regular. but as you have seen in your dad,he also had no permanant damage. He had them off and on for about 10 years,he lived until he was 92 and the mini strokes had nothing to do with his passing. We totally understand when a parent has a problem and wish you and your family nothing but the best.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote