Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2008, 08:35 AM   #1
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
The Generals Are Losing the War at American Axle

Hey all, not sure where to put this topic. It fits so many places, like on the fuel price thread or the truck threads. So I'm putting it here as many parts of the article relate to us RV-ers and people in general.

This situation is very close to our hearts since Dick is currently laid off & has been for five weeks now as a result of the American Axel Strike. He's suppose to retire in July & now it looks like he may not even be able to return to work prior to July 1.

The Generals Are Losing the War at American Axle

Patty

RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
i think maybe he retired early and now can wok at any place to make a buck , not home depot as they aret hiring but maybe ace hdw or wendys or disny wld or work camp may be better john
retirement is great ,,,,,,,, if you can aford it
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
John,

Oh no, Home Depot is my favorite store. (yea I know weird gal here) Bummer, I was thinking of getting a job there in Montana. Oh well guess I'll just be a RV wife then.

So true on if we can afford it??? That remains to be seen...hope it all works out for us. No Disney in Montana though so we'll have to find something else.

Patty
Old 04-06-2008, 03:25 AM   #4
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
Patty & Dick, we also feel your pain. I am an AAM striking employee, my husband was going to retire on April 1, after 31 GM/hrdramatic/saginaw/AAM/ UAW Rgion 1-D Staff years. We have also put our retirement trip to Alaska on hold due to the strike. It's a very sad situation for alot of families. For everyones sake I hope this strike can end before July. In Solidarity Stacy Local 2093

P.s. this is the first time in many years I have not made any vaction plans, can't plan around strike duty.
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:23 AM   #5
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Patty and Dick,

I hope that things resolve sooner rather than later. Keep the positive thoughts! (OBTW, I am a Home Depot "junkie" too...the world's greatest "toy store" for DIYers!)

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #6
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wswebster

Patty & Dick, we also feel your pain. I am an AAM striking employee, my husband was going to retire on April 1, after 31 GM/hrdramatic/saginaw/AAM/ UAW Rgion 1-D Staff years. We have also put our retirement trip to Alaska on hold due to the strike. It's a very sad situation for alot of families. For everyones sake I hope this strike can end before July. In Solidarity Stacy Local 2093

P.s. this is the first time in many years I have not made any vaction plans, can't plan around strike duty.
Stacy, so sorry to hear that you are on strike. Our hearts go out to the two of you. We hope this gets settled very quickly & that you can get off strike duty so you can get back to your vacation plans. Please know our thoughts & prayers are with you & yours. Your fellow workers too. Solidarity, yes that's what we all need & to keep remembering.

Patty

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by eeoski

Patty and Dick,

I hope that things resolve sooner rather than later. Keep the positive thoughts! (OBTW, I am a Home Depot "junkie" too...the world's greatest "toy store" for DIYers!)

Robin
Robin I am so happy to meet (virtually of course) another female Home Depot Junkie! I'm the big advocate of DIY, Dick would prefer just to not do it. Of course I just push & push, which seems to get the things done. Afterwards he is happy we did it, but boy oh boy is it sticky around here when we're in the midst of the projects.

Things will resolve themselves one way or another. We're in OK shape & just biding our time. My heart however breaks for those like Bill & Stacy. I know from past experience that strike pay is just about no pay. Those families are the ones that really need this to be resolved.

We're looking forward to the new adventure that's coming our way. Just think we get to see some of this beautiful country while doing it is reason enough to be excited.

I actually posted the link because it said so much about fuel prices, trucks along with of course the strike news. All of it affects us RV-ers quite a bit.

Great to have you two, women (eeoski & wswebster) on the forum. Carol (Mrs Countryguy) & I were saying that the Gals gone MOC section is really shaping up to be so much fun.

Patty
Old 04-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I sympathize with those still working in the auto industry. I got my chance to get out last year after fifteen years with BorgWarner. I got into the mining industry and it's doing extremely well and it looks like it will keep going until I get to my retirement time in about five years. There are a lot of people hurting right now and its not going to get better quick, I'm afraid. Best of luck and I hope that all of you are back to work soon. I did my part by buying a new truck. Patti - will you be in Montana this fall? We're going out to Glacier National in September (along with Teton, Yellowstone and Teddy Roosevelt). Celebrating the big 35th anniversary this year.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Patty..... hmmmmm.... it seems as if Dick is a relative of my husbands? I too am the do-it-your-selfer at the house. Doug would prefer just not to do it also so that is why I am thinking we are related?

I have a few projects lined up and have recently started one of them. I've been to Home Depot acquiring the supplies needed and already my husband is squealing like a stuck pig and I haven't even asked him for help. Sure do love that place also. I go there just to wander and look at things sometimes. My other favorite store is Fry's electronics.

We are at the other end of the automotive industry. We own and operate an automotive repair shop with 5 mechanics. But new cars are getting harder and harder to work on with all the computerized equipment and the big automotive makers don't want the independent shops to be able to buy the diagnostic equipment to work on them. We are hoping to be able to hang on to the shop for 5 more years but who knows? Our town had two independent shops go belly up this last year and the local Ford dealer went out of business a few months ago.

Like someone else said.... hang in there. What will be... will be, and we just have to side step it and keep on going.

Keep the chin up and keep smiling.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote