Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Truckers Protest

Well looks like the Independant Truckers are getting their belly full of high diesel prices. Here is a quote from the Indy Star and News.
Facing mounting diesel fuel costs and shrinking profits, truckers nationwide plan to protest next week by parking their semis or clogging traffic by driving slowly.

Pennsylvania-based independent truckers say they will send a convoy to that state's capital, Harrisburg, during rush hour Monday morning in protest of high fuel costs. They also are planning slowdowns during rush hour in Washington, D.C., and elsewhere, and some are planning to park for a few hours early Tuesday to show solidarity for a movement that seems to have no central organizer.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...423/-1/ARCHIVE

I don't think I have the know how to copy the web address.

Maybe we ought to join them with our Diesel TV and Campers.

indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Good, I wondered how long it would take before they started protesting. This whole thing is so crazy, no sense in it. I wish they'ed park their trucks for a couple weeks, I know it would hurt like everything but it sure would get Washingtons attn.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I'm all for it. Sure, it's gonna hurt, but that's the point, isn't it?
Hopefully enough will show up to make the point.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Meanwhile all of us RV'rs will let someone else make the sacrifice,Guys with wives kids bills to pay. We do this for fun and recreation They drive for a living . Why don't all rv'ers park their rigs for a month and show them the impact we have on the economy..OOpps..bad idea...let someone else do it..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I really don't think it will work this time. The Major trucking companys. Companys that have 10,000 or more trucks were giving a new law several years ago that they could pass on in the from of a surcharge for Diesel increases. The Independent Truckers just aren't big enough to slow down the Trucking industry. Back in the 70's before the surcharges they had the power. But not today. Everyone seems to worry about the Stock market, Oil is the problem and it effects everyone were as the Stock market effects very few. You must write your congress person, and demand to lift laws on new refineries and drill in Anwar ond off the coast of Cal and in the Gulf. If we don't get with the program you had better learn how to grow your on Gardens and learn to hunt for you meat. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Count me out, would cost me in the wallet to protest something that we all are already aware of, sounds like a fools errand to me.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
On the news tonight were interviews with truckers. They are really feeling the crunch and most all say something has to be done. In the article posted above it states they are going to slow down and cause traffic slow-downs. Heck! All they have to do is get on the Interstates and runm the speed limit. It sure would tick a lot of drivers off and cause a slow down because everyone does faster than the speed limit on the interstates.

On the radio today there was a statement about drilling in the Gulf of Mexico. Mexico is doing it. China, believe it or not, is doing it. Parts of European companies are doing it. The only one not drilling for oil,\ because of the politicians, is the United States.

I'm not really sure what the answer is, but I think we have a crisis coming, and soon.

Almost all of Europe runs on diesel. China has required more and more petroleum products.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:53 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we have been on record in stating that boycotts do not work and we agree with Delaine and Lindy on how to address the issue. I just get a little jerked when folks will want to boycott or slow down or whatever but take the "not in my backyard" stance. Folks can do anything they want to as long as they are not affected. All a boycott by those folks will do is drive up the cost of the products they will not transport and cause them and their families hardships. It does however show how hard a segment of our workforce is being affected by the energy cost. We can use the internet to contact your representatives.Flood them with E mails.. That will be much more effective than any boycott.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:14 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
In 1974 there was a sort of Government imposed boycott. Long lines at service stations, you could only get gas when your tank was at the "half" way mark. Then Odd/Even days depending on the last number of your license plate. Carpooling was a new way of life. The public got sick of it real fast.

I was very good friends with a service station owner. He told me not to worry as he would give me gas anytime I wanted it. He said he did not have a shortage and his tanks were full all the time. I never put him in a position that he would be called out for giving me gas, but it sure got me thinking.

Apparently they don't think there is a shortage right now or we may go back to that type of rationing system. Or is it the don't want to re-do their mistake. Personally I think it is "greed," at the highest level of commodity brokers on down to the little independent service station owner. Of course, his greed is only representative by pennies, whereas the high level it is millions of dollars. As stated in previous posts, oil companies are reporting BILLIONS of dollars of profit for the past couple quarters. Remember a while back where the CEO of Exxon/Mobile resigned and got a severance package of 450 MILLION dollars? I'm sorry, but that is gluttonous greed! IMHO.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:11 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Here we go again.. Same old BS different day.
It didn't work before it ain't gonna work now.
Regardless of your idea, unless you have the vast majority of Diesel users involved IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.
And that includes writing your congressman. Write until you get writers cramp, It Ain't Gonna Happen.
You are lucky to get a small minority and forget about ever getting the majority.
IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:42 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
So there is nothing we can do execpt pay the price, complain point fingers of responsbility but take none ourselves......our only involvement is to pay the price of increased energy and blame "them" good plan.. I will bet "they" will love it.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:46 AM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

On the radio today there was a statement about drilling in the Gulf of Mexico. Mexico is doing it. China, believe it or not, is doing it. Parts of European companies are doing it. The only one not drilling for oil,\ because of the politicians, is the United States.

I'm not really sure what the answer is, but I think we have a crisis coming, and soon.

Almost all of Europe runs on diesel. China has required more and more petroleum products.
I have a great idea! Let China drill all over the Gulf of Mexico - on the condition that since they are producing our oil, they then have to stop buying any oil on the world oil market and that would free up an enormous amount of oil for us. We can also invite them to drill off the coast of California and in Anwar (for slight oil royalties) and this would help us even more - saving even more world oil for us. Since we can't drill there...

Actually - as insane as that sounds - don't WE drill for, and produce, oil in many sovereign countries around the world???

We could even invite India to do this....
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:56 AM   #13
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I keep seeing mention of drilling for oil in the Gulf of Mexico. I know for a fact that LA and TX both drill in the gulf. I've fished offshore in the Gulf off LA, and wells look like a pine sapling thicket in places. (slight exaggeration) You can see the platforms in the Gulf from Mustang Island also.(Port Aransas) We are in site of Gulf Marine Fabricators, and they work 24/7 building platforms to float out and sink in place in the gulf. They are building one now that has three huge sections, which the way it was described to me will be sunken starting with the bottom section first, then the second and third stacked on them. The bottom section has already been towed out into the Gulf. I don't think FL allows drilling in the Gulf IIRC. My answer to that would be cut fuel allocations to states that won't allow drilling offshore, and see how soon their attitude changes. JMHO

Oh, and to keep on topic, I don't think the truckers are organized enough any more to implement a strike or slow down. In the days when the Teamsters were strong, it might have worked, but not now. And also, we are doing our part. Our diesel use is way down, since we are staying in one place. I also plan to bring a small 4 cylinder pickup down to help even more.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:45 AM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I sometimes think that our national policy of remaining "Politically Correct" is what is doing us in. Does anyone know How much oil we produce and how much we ship overseas instead of taking care of our own. I understand it is quite a bit. Why not keep some of that oil here and let these third world nations buy from OPEC and other foreign producers. When I lived in Alaska a big complaint was that the majority of the oil produced in Alaska was exported to the lower 48 and we had to pay such high prices for gas. The reason was that the producers got more for exporting oil than they would have for producing and selling gas in Alaska. Go figure. Someone needs to nationalize the oil companies and take it out of the hands of these greedy oil people. Of course, some would say that the government would just muck it up more. I say we make Saudi Arabia our 51st state and produce all the gas we need........lol
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:09 AM   #15
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
You may want to consider what the Indpendent Truckers did involving the 55 mph speed limit for trucks in Indiana. They got together and did some slow convoys through the state and also boycotted the Indiana truck stops. Wasn't long till we had 70 MPH speed limits in Indiana and trucks were moved up to 60 mph to match Ohio. (I think it was). I think they had a big part in that movement. There are more independents out there than you think and I think they have to ability to make a statement. Also keep in mind that the airlines have put in a big increase as a result of higher fuel prices. New last night reported a 10% decline in spring break passenger business from last year.I read on some forum that it was getting cheaper to fly than drive....wellllll that may be changing. But I still can't get over why diesel and jet fuel is more expensive than gas when it is cheaper to refine.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:46 AM   #16
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
We have enough oil in Can/US to supply ourselves for a long time. Why do we keep stockpiling our oil and use middle east oil?? To answer my own question, I think when the middle east runs out, we`ll have control and hold them hostage as they and the oil companies are doing to us now. All we have to do is use it for ourselves and keep the price lower. Sounds good but you know there are fat cats out there who like to stick it to the consumer no matter where they are from.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:37 AM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
On the news today:
Truckers are asking for a nation wide speed limit of 55 MPH to conserve fuel. They are also asking that all trucks be equipped with a governor set to 68 MPH max. Nothing was said about a slow down.

Edited: Remember that in most states, under 15 MPH over the speed limit does not carry as hefty a fine. (68 mph over 55 mph = 13 MPH difference)(Darn! I'm still good at math!)
Old 03-30-2008, 05:06 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The 55MPH speed limit would help and everyone can be involved. Like that better than Boycotts.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:33 AM   #19
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
You guys ever drive through Wyoming or Nebraska at 55?
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:10 PM   #20
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
No one has ever drove through Wyoming or Nebraska at 55. Those that tried are now in "homes" doing treatment.g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote