Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
102.2 Degrees

It just went past 102 degrees here in RGV, to hot to even sit in the shade. I sure wish the snow would melt up north, it is getting to hot here, may have to find somewhere in between for a while.
Bill

William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Where is RGV?
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
S. Texas...Rio Grand Valley.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Waldo238, thanks for asking. I was beginning to think I was the only one who couldn't fiqure that out. It looks like it is a very popular area.
We are not fulltimers, so it is interesting to see where everybody calls home in the winter.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We just took a photo of our temp readings, it is 100 on the button, we are just down the street from Bill and Linda.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Well, y'all are about 100 degrees too hot for me!!!
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #7
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Too bad, we left there yesterday and we're up here in Louisiana shivering at 80 degrees
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:06 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Sorry RGV MOCers but you just gave us another reason for not going to the RGV for the winter.
100+ degrees in March??
Last year you all had snow. First time in years but snow is snow
Constant wind creating havoc with the sand and the awning.
Mini Tornado's that will destroy an awning forcing you to put the awning up even when going away for just an hour or so
A regular Dust Bowl from all the wind and sand keeping the interior of the Monty dusty if you leave the windows open.

Here in West Central Florida I have kept my awning down all winter. Seriously, except when I moved to a new site in December, my awning has not been put up all winter.
Temps have only gone below 30 once, (all the way down to 29 and just 1 morning) or above 85 and most all days are in the 70's with nights in the 60's
Yes we do occasionally get some humidity but most days the temps help to offset it.
This is our 5th winter in West Central Florida and me thinks there will be many many more to come in our future.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:20 AM   #9
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Left Mobile,AL Wed to travel to Wausau, WI for granddaughter's b-day party and it was 56. Here in Wausau it is now 20 with snow up to your knees. Can't wait to leave Monday for Mobile and then FL with plans to come back to WI and Washburn May 1 when hopefully snow will be gone and temps in the 60's.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:03 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Glenn,

2 inches of snow here 4 years ago on xmas day, melted by 10 AM. NONE last year. First snow in over 100 years, so, it won't snow here again in my lifetime!

We also have Border Patrol agents protecting us 24/7/365.

Wind keeps the knats and skeeters away. With wind we do not have to even close the entry door, go figure.

Wind noise on the awnings, music to our ears, it is NOT snowplows.

Dirt, I get the same thing in Tana in Michigan, ohhhh, we live on a gravel road. Answer: clean it, or live with it. Dustbunnies RULE!

Weather people say that the temps yesterday, told to be 104 in McAllen, are unusual even for summer. Well, whatever, I love being around for recording setting.

Our awning has been out since we arrived, and will be until we leave. It is insured.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:10 AM   #11
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Glen,
Even if all that were true, in Florida you still have to live with the nasty and ungrateful poeple and traffic.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:36 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We left Apache Junction about this time last year and the temps were into the 90"s which is ONE of the reasons we are in central Florida this year. The average daily temps here near Disney is 78 although they are calling for the mid 80" today. The wind and the sand are a issue in the S.W but IMO the SW is a much more friendly atmosphere. Florida is home to IMO the worst and most inconsiderate drivers in the USA..The auto ins rates must be outrageous. Did I mention that the Florida slogan is the "Sunshine state" but should be the "litter state" The State should be ashamed of themselves..We used 11 tanks of propane in Az last year.. One a month here. The all around Weather is better here in Central Florida.Now this in only our opinion but other than the excellent winter weather and that Disney is here to supplement our "Great adventure" income.Florida is a great place to winter..that is about it. Of course we would not want to be in the SW past the end of March. Having wheels on your home is a good thing..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:21 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Well Bill I don't know where you were in FL but those nasty, ungrateful people sure don't live anywhere close to Pinellas County. In 5 years I have not had but a few folks that were nasty and/or ungrateful and truth be told I have no idea whether they were locals or snowbirds Now not to demeanor Quebec but the nastiest and ungrateful folks are French speaking from Quebec.

"Wind keeps the gnats and skeeters away." None of which we have here. In fact many folks leave their screen doors open. Except those, of course, that have pets inside.

"We also have Border Patrol agents protecting us 24/7/365." Good for you guys but it would be a whole lot better for all of the USA if they spent more time protecting our borders. Every minute of everyday, 365 days a year there are more illegals and drugs crossing the Mexican border than any where along the Canadian border Along with the drug smugglers comes criminals. Thanks but no thanks.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:47 AM   #14
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Glenn, you are the best good will ambassador for Florida ever, keep up the good work, hopefully more and more RVers will come your way. We appreciate your good work!
Old 03-15-2008, 05:56 AM   #15
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I'm still trying to remember when it snowed down here last year. O'well all of us go where we want and each one has it faults and good thing's about it. Probably do the same next year.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:43 AM   #16
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The weather guesser says the real hot spell is over in RGV, back to the norm of high in the low 80s...hope he is correct.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:58 AM   #17
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Snicker

what weather person are you reading?? watching??

it is already over 90. my weather bug says high of 95 today, then 85 Sunday and 88 for Monday.

POOL DAY!!
Old 03-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #18
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Texas and Florida are both great. There is no perfect state but they sure come close in the winter months. Sure better than heading home to Michigan right now. Brrrrrrrrr!!!
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:46 AM   #19
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Spent Jan in RGV and we are now stationed in Mobile, AL. We drove back to Wausau, WI for granddaughter's B-Day and it is 12 right now. Can't wait until tomorrow, St Pat's Day, to beat feet it back to Mobile where it is 55 with plans to head to the Keys in a week. Won't be back to WI until May 1 when snow and cold better be gone.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:27 AM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We absolutely love the weather here in the winter. I lived in Liberal, KS (OK Panhandle) for 2 1/2 years and I hesitate to spend the whole winter in the RGV as I believe it would be of similar climate. I would love to visit there, though, at some time in the future.

I also would miss the beaches here, such as Siesta Key. Also, to say that FREE Disney World any time of the year is great would be an understatement. I do agree that the moderate to heavy traffic is a constant. Another plus here in Central FL is the GREEN. 7-8 months of BROWN in MI during the year becomes depressing after many years of living there year round, and I really want to spend the winter seeing that color.

We are heading back to our summer CG on April 22 - 5 weeks from now. Unfortunately, it still looks like it does in our sig right now. This week will be no help up there and maybe not even next week. Still getting down in the teens at night - 30s only for daytime highs. That only leaves 4, maybe only 3, weeks for things to clear out and start to bud by the time we get there. Not looking good right now... Realistically, the middle to end of May up in N. MI is when we can actually start to expect warm weather and green grass.

However, staying here later than the first of May is out of the question as it really begins to become uncomfortable down here. Uppers 80s and 90s with the humidity that is absent the majority of the time here in the winter months (dry north air - but still in the 70s - coming down out of the continental US), is not my cup of tea - anymore than the -25 I have experienced these last two years that we traveled north to Bellaire, MI in February.

There are tradeoffs anywhere you go in the winter. The blessing is that you can GO...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote