Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
Flyin J Rewards Program

Have you all noticed the new requirements for fuel discounts at Flying J stations? You must now purchase a minimum of $10 / month in store or resturant merchandise to qualify for the minimum rebate you used to automatically receive when using their rewards card at the pump or counter. They claim increased savings opportunity - but all is hinged on increased store purchases. I feel this is just another way to get into your pocket for more - as well as dodging the already tiny savings you could count on. I for one will still patronise them, but will look for other fuel savings opportunities as well.

Ed Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I never did pay much attention to the tiny discount, just as long as they continue to have good prices and facilities. Unfortunately we have encountered a few where the facilities were getting pretty run down, and the prices were not as much of an advantage as they used to be. For now, we will continue to patronize them, if only because we sometimes like to overnight there.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Yes I got hit with it after my wife bought over $10.00 but with out the card. They are off my desired service list unless there is a fuel savings. Getting into their RV slots was normally tight and backed up anyway.
Cheers,

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Good to know. I will have to make sure I purchase ten bucks in the month I buy fuel. Is this every month or just fuel purchase months?
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:10 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Not a problem here. When traveling we predominately use FJ and in a months time we have probably eaten at the FJ buffet a half dozen times.

AND if the RV pumps are backed up I have no qualms about using the diesel pumps on the automobile islands and only one time had a problem exiting the island and that was due to a Class A that was trying to maneuver thru the area. Once he finally got out of my way I pulled out with out a problem.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:54 AM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I avoid all the big truck stops, although Flying J is probably the best. To me it's much easier to refuel at a mom and pop truck stop where they sell lots of fuel, but it is not crowded, not dirty and overall a much more pleasant experience.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I usually purchase from FJ and have a rewards card...but I don't get to enjoy the savings because when I purchase fuel I am at the pump and never go into the store. I wish they would just give us the discount without making us go inside. I will still use them because they are always 3 cents cheaper than the two other truck stops on the corner.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:45 PM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Let's put things in perspective here....
The reasoning for the fuel discount is the hope you will stop into the store or restaurant and make a purchase. FJ is like any other business. They use the fuel discount as what is called "A lose leader". Every retail business uses this tactic. We always had "Lose Leaders" at the tire shop and I will not stop using any business that partakes in this type practice. Like any other sale or discount offered by Wal*Mart, K Mart, Target, Camping World, etc it is used to LEAD you in to the store in hopes you will buy something that isn't on sale.
In fact Wal*Mart is a great example. At their fuel pumps you can get an extra 3 cents off per gallon but only if you have a Wal*Mart credit card or go into the store and buy a Wal*Mart cash card. By forcing you to go inside for the cash card they are gambling you will buy something while in there.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:21 AM   #9
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I summer camp near one of there places and go there a few times a season for the buffet. Got bored one day and filled out the forms for the discount card.After recieving it and reading the discounts I put the card in my dresser drawer and thats where it't been for about a year now.With diesel at $4.00 plus .01 to.03 cents off a gallon I don't expect to see the savings in my portfolio
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:57 AM   #10
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I only fill where there is a cash discount, most times its 6 to 8 cents per gallon, FJ or not. Cheaper gets my business and will fix my own lunch.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:46 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I try and buy the cheapest also, but not at the local Circle K or mini mart, or whatever you call it now. I also try not to go out of my way to get fuel, sometimes you can spend the savings looking for the cheaper stations. I have a 45 gal tank and have not had to pull the trailer in a station for gas since last summer and hope to keep it that way, although I know that won't happen. We do try and fill up unhooked as much as possible and I like it that way....As far as a .01 to .03/gal savings, Phooey. Who needs it.....I also try and use major brands. I will adjmit I was at a Fry's market here in Tucson the other day filling up (.14/gal savings over majors) and as I was pulling out a Flying J Fuel truck was pulling in to replenish their tanks, go figure......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:33 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use flying J stations primarily for the User Friendly diesel pumps and not for the tiny fuel discounts. We use our Bank Debit card to purchase fuel and pay bills. Our bank has a point system and we already have a free flight for one to selected European destinations. Got to pay bills anyhow,,may as well get a perk for doing so. Glenn is corect about the "Leader " Item it is a normal business practice but tells me that Flying J is falling on hard times and attempting to increase fuel income and increase facility income.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:53 PM   #13
wchips
Established Member

M.O.C. #8256
exav8tr if you use the Fri's card at th pump it gets 10 cents/gal more - about the best price in tucson.
See you some day if I catch you home, david
wchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:18 PM   #14
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
As most have noted - the puny .01 / .03 per gallon on fuel at current prices is almost an insult. For years we have been rotating a couple of cards that give 5% rebate on fuel / grocery and pharmacy purchases. If you watch your monthly totals and optimize the rebates, that makes alot more dollars and cents that those come on rewards programs.

The Fred Meyers and Smith grocery chains will give a .10/gal one time each month after grocery purchases reach a certain level - we use that one too.

Yeah - I have seen the Fly J tankers fueling alot of other dispenser's tanks too. Makes you think most of it comes from the same pipeline.
Ed Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:58 PM   #15
mcculloe
Established Member

M.O.C. #7259
I too have given up the Flying J savings opportunities. You can do better elsewhere. BP/Amoco offer a Visa credit card reward program that gives you 5% on fuel purchases at BP/Amoco, 2% on Travel/Entertainment and 1% on everything else except gas at non-BP/Amoco fuel statoins. Not a bad deal. With diesel at $4/gallon, that's 20 cents a gallon. And, for the first 60 days, they'll double everything above.
mcculloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #16
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I really have a hard time getting excited about $.03 per gallon discount. That works out to less than 1% at today's prices. My local pilot's association recently negotiated a $.15 discount without much difficulty. This was offered for customer loyalty and I think home based aircraft are far more captive than roaming RV's. The fact of the matter is we are not going to get much from any of these guys as long as diesel is considered a limited quantity commodity.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:35 AM   #17
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
I use Flyin J as much as I can, but also to stay a night when traveling. I used to use the Truck facilities with the old Dodge, does the Truck area have the ultra low sulfur diesel too!! If it does I`ll start using it again. I like the room that the truck areas have, it seems so tight in the car areas. Also their prices are not the best around anymore I`ve found. I usually save .26-.30 cents on a fill up, it seems you need to spend big bucks to get a higher discount. Is it just me, doesn`t the truck area give a .5 cent discount over the posted price?
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:08 AM   #18
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I use American Express Blue with rewards. After so many points I get a $100 gift certificate. (Not all places take American Express because they charge the merchant 4%)

I will also use Flying J or any other truck stop for the easy ingress/egress.

PaPa Ed, it is the same pipeline. Take Florida for example. There is only one large pipeline that runs down the peninsula. Once it gets to a distribution point, the gas companies "additives" are put in before delivery.

Pipeline 101

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:17 AM   #19
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
We always look for FJs when we travel even when not towing. Service sells and FJ is the most consistant. Besides, where else can I buy a big dog????
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:37 AM   #20
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I have used Flying J for many years, even when I was driving a big Truck I always used the J. Now I still use their services as much as possible. Most of the time their fuel is cheaper and its always fresh. You wouldn't believe have much fuel they pump in 24 hours. We also eat there and get a discount with our RV card. Anytime you use the Flying J always show the card. Even with the new points system you will save some. The big thing is fresh fuel, which I think is the most important thing. GBY...

I also have C/cards that give discounts but that really is just a gimmick to get you, if you don't pay your bill in full each month your are getting ripped. Very high interest. Thats why most C/C companys love for you to roll your credit each month.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote