Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2008, 03:59 AM   #21
Amps
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3430
Honduras is actually in Central America. As the world atlas shows a North, Central and South America.
It is very hard for US and Canadians workers to compete on the world scene because we demand a high salary, 5+ weeks holidays, family days, education days, sick days, dental care, medical care, and whatever else. All of which adds up and often takes us out of the competitive markets. Cost, value and returns is all that matters to the industries.
We strongly need world wide standards and stop imports that do not meet those standards.

Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:43 AM   #22
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Here is a site that I check quit often....JB

http://www.madeinusa.org/
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:52 AM   #23
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Thank you deadeye for that link. We will use it often.

I would rather buy something made in North America, Central America, Mexico,South America, and Canada, if I had no other choice, before I would buy China or Japan made. Sometimes we are forced to buy from those countries but we will not buy anything from China if we can help it. We do the best we can. We do not shop at Walmart. If they sell things for 10 cents on the dollar, we still would not buy from them. They do treat their employees terrible.
China treats their employees worse. They work them more than 10 hours a day, 7 days a week and deduct from their pay checks their living quarters if could call it living quarters. Very low pay!
I have 5 DVD's. If anyone is interested please let me know and I will send as many as I have. They are copies. We copied them from satellite TV. Don't worry about the postage. Can't cost that much.
They are about Walmart and China products.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #24
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Lord, I saw one of those things or it's twin brother (I-Camp)somewhere last week at some dealer we were visiting but didn't really make much of a mental note except to point it out to the wife and make some comment about small..
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #25
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Just got back from WalMart, bought 35 items and none of them were made in China.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are correct mail2us but we were told by our Disney recruiter that only Full time "cast members" are eligible union members.Disney calls them "cast members" not employeees..just as Wall mart calls them "associates" and Disney does not call them Uniforms..it is "wardrobe"

Amps you are correct I missed Central America. Shame on Disney..they do not even buy North American.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:50 PM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What do you think of this ..Interesting?????? Also 80% of Wallmarts global suppliers are from China..So everything in Wallmart is not made in China.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig6/tennant1.html

Old 02-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #28
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Seems like the WalMart's around here sell more groceries than other stuff.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:38 AM   #29
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Rich(faa),

Excellent artice posted on Walmart. I personally like Walmart. I look at it as a business and not a political punching bag. When I hear many politicians wrap Walmart, I often believe it's a diversion from their accountability. It could also be that some politicians view Walmart as a large political block for votes. (I have no personal interests in Walmart)

Anyway, thanks for the correction to my correction,hehehe. I couldn't remember Disney "castmembers"...so clever of them.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:07 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I just wonder why we blame the Chinese for all our problems. We out source thousands of jobs to India, Pakistan, Guatemala and other countries. I just called a large company and was asked if I wanted to talk in English then got a person who could barely be understood and she was not Chinese. We import large amounts of consumer goods from scores of countries..but point the finger China. We want to boycott Wall mart or not shop there but will shop at stores that have products from other countries???? How about all the folks that work at Wall Mart. What do they do during the boycott. How do we provide them income while we attempt to shut down Wall mart..If there is a comprehensive plan i would like to hear it. It would seem to me that a successful boycott(and boycotts do not work long term) of all stores that have consumer goods from other countries would throw thousands upon thousands of North Americans out of work..how do we deal with the change over..what is the plan???
Old 02-12-2008, 05:51 AM   #31
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Walmart treats their employees terrible. Have seen this with my own eyes, several years ago and from what I have heard it hasn't changed. Jobs are so scarce that people will work there for a job even though they are mistreated.
I don't like shopping anywhere that has 80 percent foreign products and on top of that treat their employees so bad. I am sure there are some things USA made there but not enough to make me want to shop there. Walmart was a wonderful store when Sam Walton was alive. He must be spinning in his grave now. If the store ever hear of any employee complaining of the treatment, they fire them ASAP.
Cheaper on items. Yes they may be on some things. We visit this small town in Missouri every year. When Walmart went in there they put all the mom and pop grocery stores out of business. After the last one closed, Walmart raised their prices big time.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:18 AM   #32
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Somewhere in here lies the truth. I am not trying to sing the praises of WMart or any other company, but do not believe that Walmart treats its employees terrible and do not believe they open any store with lower prices until all the local stores close, then raise their prices.Prices for the most part are universal in Walmart stores.

It's a retail giant, no doubt, so it's become a fanciful chorus of many to denigrate Walmart. Many of the small stores also sold Chinese made products. Many American companies that help build this nation paid nothing, had poor working conditions, etc so China too will go through their growing period. China is not the enemy here nor is Walmart. It's often what we don't know that we fear. I do not fear or worry about ever buying the iCamp RV!
Old 02-12-2008, 09:02 AM   #33
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
According a report by the Canadian Retail Association, WALMART causes prices to drop between 5-15%in any market they enter. For low income earners that is a Godsend.

I have no problem buying overseas products if the quality is there and if their price is not systemically subsidized by lack of environmental and worker protection. We should hold others to the same standard we hold our own manufacturers. That is a level playing field. The only way to enforce this is with punitive tariffs. Unfortunately the big money is on free trade on a global scale because they can move production/sourcing offshore, escape a modern democracies controls and make big $'s. If they have to kill/maim a few workers, enslave children or poison rivers and the air, well, it is good business isn't it?
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:17 AM   #34
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I guess we hgave knocked Wal-Mart long enough... Lets start on someone else.. IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO COMMON SENSE. If you want to buy something and not use it to much, you can buy something extra cheap no matter where it is made. If you want something that is built kind of sturdy and you think it will last you in your using of the item, buy it. Look around until you find what YOU want. No one is forcing you to shop anyplace. It all depends on personal preference. That is why we have so many brands in this world to choose from. I am sure everyone knows that...JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #35
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I buy what I need when I want, and sometimes I buy what I want when I need it. Sometimes, I get the wants and needs mixed up.

If it breaks, I look at the manufacturer. Then I go look for another one from a different manufacturer, unless it is under warranty. Then I just keep replacing it with OEM.

I don't want to take the time to read every label on every product I buy to see where it comes from. I'm sure that every distributor has some product that is being made or built in another country.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #36
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I can prove that walmart did raise their prices in that small town and others that live there can also tell anyone that is interested that walmart did raise prices after the other stores closed.
I have seen walmart yell at cashiers in front of customers, and fire them for talking to union people that approached them in the first place. I don't care if anyone believes this or not. I know what I have seen and know what my relatives have seen. We are are telling the truth. I am done with this tread. We all can shop where ever we want. I have never lied about this or anything else that I have posted.
All grocery stores and stores are not the same price.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:43 PM   #37
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
It's nice of Walmart to allow us campers to stay overnight at their stores!!!
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #38
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am sure that some folks have had a bad experience with Wallmart and with other stores as well. We have 5 super wall marts in our local area in Ohio and we know plenty of folks who work there.Wallmart does not have the lowest prices in town. They are the same as all other stores. Raising prices on many items to counter balance low prices on others.The practice of artificially lowering prices or undercutting the competition is not unique to wall mart..it is a common business practice. They can also buy in huge bulk to keep prices low where smaller stores can not do that,Another common practice. I have heard-folks say how badly they were treated by wall mart and Target, and the auto industry and the Steel mills and the Federal Government..It is human nature. As a individual we can choose to shop where we wish for whatever reason. There is Gas station in our town that I will not step foot in ever because on 9-11 they raised the price of gas to 4.00 a gallon within a hour of the hits.. Folks still buy fuel there, they are still in business..what i do will have no effect on them what so ever..but I feel better. End of my posting here.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:00 AM   #39
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
My last post on this thread was arrogant and my apology to anyone here that I know the truth and someone else doesn't. I offered an opinion and that was all it was. I have no facts to substantiate how Walmart treats its employees nor their pricing practices. Again it was an opinion that was inappropriate. Dustyuu my apologies. Dennis
Old 02-13-2008, 03:06 AM   #40
don m
Established Member

M.O.C. #5122
I will tell her. I am sure she will accept your apology. She is a nice person and holds no grudges.

My wife Dusty did some research on prices from different companies a few years ago for a magazine. Walmart was one. Also prices when businesses open with competition around, prices after competition is no longer there. What she found would shock people.
We do not shop Walmart or Kmart and it probably won't hurt them but makes us feel better.
Buying a China made trailer? No way..
LOL We probably won't be buying any 5th wheels after spending so much on last one! Not for awhile. But someday we may have another Monty.
don m is offline   Reply With Quote