Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2007, 09:01 AM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Surge guard Installed (MORE PICTURES)

Well my last post was I should have listened to my self about the landing leg bolt. So this time, I did. I installed the Surge Guard today. Mine is the in-line and I put it in the power/battery compartment, Surge guard photo
I did not realize it had a delay before passing voltage. That is a good thing. I can plug into the power pedestal and if I forget to shut off the breaker, the surge guard will do if for me. There is about a 2 minute delay before it goes "CLUNK" and switches to the on position. I like it.

More pictures in a later post on this topic.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:09 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
John,
Like me, you'll be happy you got it. It'll save you a lot of headaches down the line. There are still a lot of RVers that claim that it's a waste of money but I call it insurance.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I agree with Orv and his posts about the SurgeGuard. And, yes, people parked next to me sometimes ask what it is and then tell me that it isn't necessary.

Just a while back, a Dynasty owner (about a half million bucks worth of RV) asked me what that thing was, pointing to the SurgeGuard. After enlightening him, he told me that it was a waste of money, as his coach had filters and protectors already installed. Two days later, had a lightning storm. Guess what? He fried his converter along with a couple of other items. He at least had the cojones to tell me what happened and that he had changed his mind about the SurgeGuard.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
John, What lines did you tap into? Did you run a new power line into that area or are the lines there to tap into? I am trying to figure out were to put mine in at without too much trouble.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have all these expensive safety devices , V tail, gate, bedsavers, Tire pressure Monitor system,rear view cam and we are glad we do..however the surge guard is the only one we have used and it has saved or butt, not to mention the 3400 on more than one occasion. Ours will cycle through several cycles checking the pedestal power before it allows power to the 3400...A very good thing.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:57 PM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jretz

John, What lines did you tap into? Did you run a new power line into that area or are the lines there to tap into? I am trying to figure out were to put mine in at without too much trouble.
I have the generator prep so I pulled the left cable in the auto switch over box which is label control panel and wired it into the LOAD side of the surge protector, then I ran 6/3 with ground wire from the Line side of the surge protector to the switch box.
If you need it I can take pictures of the switch box opened.
I found the original wire from the switch box to the control panel had plenty of slack so it was easy to wire the surge protector out in the open and then mount it with the wires attached.

Let me know if you need more detail.
Cheers,
Old 11-21-2007, 02:28 PM   #7
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Very nice...that would be another item on the list for next year. So far all I have is the portable model. At least I know well enough to use something, but it can be improved.
...one of these days I'm gonna hijack one of you elec wizzes and have you go through my rig...tell you what, I'll do your wood and doors if you do my wires...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #8
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
John, I don't have the Gen Prep. I was looking at putting mine in the front utility closet in front of the service panel. I'll just have to do some exploration around the Monty and see what is best.

Thanks, Jim
Old 11-21-2007, 04:10 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I am getting the portable unit as I am not able to hard wire this myself. Other than the obvious theft exposure of having a portable surge protector hanging on the park pedestal, is there any other advantage to the hardwired unit (same amps/brand all equal)? Or is that about the only difference?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 03:27 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave..anything can happen at any time but my observation is that the theft issue at C.G's is way over stated. It happens of course but is rare...Wait till we get there and take a look at mine and how it operates before you buy one. PT 50C

http://www.viprv.com/ems/ems.html#pt50
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:13 AM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jretz

John, I don't have the Gen Prep. I was looking at putting mine in the front utility closet in front of the service panel. I'll just have to do some exploration around the Monty and see what is best.

Thanks, Jim
Jim,
You should be able to undo the pressure clamps that hold the line into the circuit breaker panel. Put that wire in the Line side of the surge protector. Now use a 6/3 with ground wires to go from the LOAD side of the surge protector into the circuit breaker panel.
I thought I would want to see the lights but could live without it as long as I remember it takes about two minutes for the surge protector to close the relay and allow electricity to pass.
If you can put an access door there then that would solve the unknown and curiosity issue.
I hope this helps.
cheers,
Old 11-22-2007, 04:38 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

I am getting the portable unit as I am not able to hard wire this myself. Other than the obvious theft exposure of having a portable surge protector hanging on the park pedestal, is there any other advantage to the hardwired unit (same amps/brand all equal)? Or is that about the only difference?
Dave,
Do like I do. I purchased a 3/8" locking cable from Wal-Mart and I lock the Surge Guard either to the pedestal (when there is no possibility of slipping the cable off) or I run the cable over one of the slide out arms. I believe that the only way it could be stolen would be someone making quite a racket or making a scene that someone would notice. Again, as many have mentioned, locks only keep honest people honest and as a whole, the RVers we've met (the serious ones) have all been trustworthy.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:41 AM   #13
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
John, Thanks for the Info. I will be starting this project next week, I hope.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:51 PM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sounds good, Rich. I'll see you when you get here. Several inches of snow in N. MI today (Alpena set a record). Mild and 80 here today with some brief showers mixed with sun. You'll love it when you get here.

Thanks, Orv, for the idea. A simple solution.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:58 AM   #15
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
I have been asked for more pictures of the install
full picture of battery compartment
Flat gray cable on the left goes to the fuse panel by way of the surge protector.
The middle black cable comes from the 50 amp connector at the back of the trailer.
The round gray cable goes to the generator.
full close up picture of the auto switching unit
This one is a real close up of the wiring connections. Note behind the cable the labeling "control panel, ??, generator". So I know the middle black one is for the incoming line from the power pedestal.
As I stated earlier there is plenty of slack on the cable from the switching unit to the control panel.

I am planning on putting a 50 amp receptacle on the black cable from the rear of the trailer and then a 50 amp plug connected into the switching box. This will allow me the ability to insert or remove the auto transformer as needed.

Reminder - do not put the auto transformer in line with any part of the generator feed. It was stated that one damaged a generator in the past.
Cheers,
Old 11-23-2007, 06:40 AM   #16
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Well done John. Your pictures and explanation makes it very understandable.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote