Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Fuel heads up

I have been very careful to follow the fueling mandates for the new 2008. It demands that ONLY ULSD be used. I pulled into a Pilot today to refuel. Could not find the tag to determine whether it was ULSD.

Dianna went inside and asked specifically if it was ULSD and they said, "Yes." She gave me the thumbs up. So I pumped in 20 gallons and then found the sticker hidden away saying that this was Low Sulfur @ 500 PPM and not for 2007 and later vehicles. Needless to say I was livid. I had asked.

I called my dealer's service manager to quiz him about what to do fearing that I might have to have it pumped out. Here is his response should this ever happen to you new truck owners:
  • No, you don't have to pump out the fuel.
  • As you drive, stop frequently to add additional fuel (about every 1/4 tank)as you use the tank to dilute the sulfur content.
  • I will probably your regen system work harder for a while.
  • You should be fine.

At least in Tennessee and Kentucky, the Pilot and Love stations are selling LSD, not ULSD. I did find that Flying J is selling ULSD.

The moral of my story is that if you are concerned about following the Manufacturer's recommendations, You might need to do more than just ask. Make them show you proof. But if you get LSD, don't panic, dilute.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the headsup. I do not rely on the clerk's or any human's word. There is no way I could prove what they say. If there is no ULSD sticker, I won't use it. Even so, twice I have already started pumping when I realized I'd not checked the sticker. Fortunately both times it was ULSD. I am finally getting into the habit of checking first. It is not easy after all these years to always remember to check for that sticker. Stories like yours will help me remember. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
This will tell you what kind of diesel fuel Flying J is selling.
http://www.flyingj.com/fuel/diesel_CF.cfm?state=US
Here is some good reading on diesel fuel.
http://www.clean-diesel.org/highway.html
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Great INFO Stiles... I am happy that you didn't damage anything. THis new fuel requirement is really resulting in a PAIN in the keester (sp) I will be happy when everything runs on hydrogen and hovers.....
Sure am glad, BIG TIME... I didn't trade to a new truck this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A HASSEL I SINCERELY HOPE NO MEMBERS DAMAGE THEIR TRUCKS BECAUSE OF THESE NEW REQUIREMENTS.

Safe Travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:19 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thank you Stiles. As a new 08 Ford diesel owner this concerns me. Speedway stations in our area have switched back to LSD and I noted today that the BP stations have also switched back..Don't know what that is all about but there is not a station in our town that sells ULSD. Your info is filed away.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Remember those stories about the "new" fuel? Remember those stories about the "new" emissions system? This is why I will wait a couple of years to upgrade my "old" Dodge. I like to think this gray hair does some good. JMHO
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 01:42 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Not to criticize your logic, Bigmurf, but if some of us don't forge ahead, there won't be anything for you to safely follow. Just another "Grey" head's point of view.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:21 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Well everyone with the new emission, just wait a few months there will be someone that know how to get around the exhaust and emission stuff. As I type someone is work on a fix now. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:23 AM   #9
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
stiles: I understand that a few brave souls must be the first to go forward for the rest of us. I spent 29 years with a company always on the leading edge. As a field service eng. I got to see the problems first hand. After the product is out the door the shop can go to the next big "thing" and service can take care of the last.

Guess that I why I stopped trying to keep up. How many of us have brought a new computer only to get online and find out that ours is now outdated?

I expect we are going to hear about this diesel issue for some time yet. We can choose to not buy a new truck but we are stuck with buying diesel. JMHO
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:01 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sometimes we over analyzes things. I struggled back and forth for weeks about buying a new truck, Gas vs Diesel, Cost vs benefits..LSD vs ULSD Finally Helen said...if you want a &^%**() new truck just go down and buy the ^&%$* thing..So we did...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:04 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Actually, we're not forging ahead on much of anything. I read an article in one of the auto magazines that the dpf (diesel particulate filter) that is at the heart of the "new" technology has been used in Europe since 2000. It's only new in the U.S.

There have been remarkably few documented problems so far considering the number of vehicles on the road with the new emissions equipment. Sure, there have been a few. But, in the same time frame, there also have been a few TSB's and other problems noted for engines built prior to the new standards, too. And finding ULSD has not been a problem for us.

And, it's nice to know our new Dodge/Cummins 6.7L engine already meets the even stricter 2010 emissions requirements. So, Dodge will not have to undergo additional changes to meet those requirements and to use the even lower sulfer fuel that will become available in 2010.

Everyone has the right to choose to buy now or to wait. There are legitimate reasons and arguments for both positions. In my case, buying now was the better choice. Others will choose to wait. The world continues to go around.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote