Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2007, 04:49 PM   #21
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I am wondering if the 450's SIZE are required to have that EXHAUST SYSTEM????? Heck if these new systems were required on the SEMI's The trucking industry would be out of business.

Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:05 PM   #22
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hemlockusa

I am wondering if the 450's SIZE are required to have that EXHAUST SYSTEM????? Heck if these new systems were required on the SEMI's The trucking industry would be out of business.
This new system is required on the (semi's)trucking industry. Went into effect, Jan. 1 of this year, just like the auto manufactures. Any engines they had built before then they could use.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:26 PM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Skypilot, I must be missing something. My understanding of the DPF regeneration is when the pressure reaches a certain level (i.e. the DPF gets to a certain degree of full), if the driving situation is not sufficient to clean it out then the computer will cause diesel to be injected into the exhaust, raising the temperatures in the exhaust and triggering cleaning of the DPF. I'm not sure if the injection takes place prior to the probe on the EGT (in the manifold) or further down the exhaust where it wouldn't register on the pyro?

I think the regeneration does require the engine be above certain rpm (idle?) to occur. Does anyone know specifics on this? What I'm trying to say is I think if normal driving is insufficient to clear the DPF then the computer will force a regen. But I'm not an expert on this.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:00 PM   #24
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Steve: You are correct. I'm thinking that the big 3 have found out that the rpm (or whatever) wasn't enough so the new program updates have modified those original parameters. All my readings indicate that the computer senses when the 'backpressure' gets excessive, it then forces a regeneration. From what I recall (and it is late) there are two ways 'forced' regen is being done: force fuel in just before the screen and have an ignitor ignite the fuel (if you recall the 'flaming ford' video that was going around a few months ago, the sounds that you heard lend credence to this method. If any of you have been around small jets (lears, JetRanger Helicopters) you have heard the click-click-click of the ignitor as the pilot is starting the jet. Fuel is being added into the hot (ignition or fire) section and when the mixture gets 'right' the whole ignites and you get a very low roar. When listening to this ford video you get the same -- click click click; When he adds throttle he either adds more fuel (or more likely air) and the combustion starts in the DPF. You immediately hear the roar I'm talking about and the large exhaust flames out the tail pipe start (also similar to a hot start on a jet - not a pleasant thing for anyone involved by the way!!). Immediately after this all you hear is the roar of the continuing cleaning cycle and no flame, just heat from the exhaust. (Jeez, I do miss flying but health precludes passing the physicals anymore .

Dodge tech told me that on Dodge extra fuel is added during the exhaust stroke, This fueled exhaust then 'burns' as it passes thru the turbo to the DPF. (ouch!!) Problem appears to be that it never quite got hot enough to burn out all the soot in the DPF.

So, computer program changes were / are being made to fine tune the process.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:21 AM   #25
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
So if they are adding fuel to the exhaust could they be trashing the turbo's? Maybe the story about back ordered turbos is true. It sounds as if they would be putting alot of extra strain from heat amd soot build up on the turbo. I dont think the turbo's were designed as jet turbines. Maybe there has been a design change in them that helps these problems. Doubt Cummins/Dodge is going to advertise that. It would cause a rush of people demanding new turbo's.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:46 AM   #26
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I'd think that would be contributing to the sooting up of the turbos we are now reading about on some of the truck specific forums. Would also help to explain why Dodge went with the sliding valve instead of the swiveling vanes since they might stick more given the soot. Realize this is all speculation -- just seems logical at this juncture.

I stopped by the Ford Diesel Techs stored trailer this morning (saw his truck there so thought he might be around --- he wasn't) -- I wanted to ask him specifically (and away from the shop so he might open up some ) about the regen procedure and what he thought of it. I'd like to find out directly from the tech and not from reading on a forum. (I'll have to see if I can talk to him in the next day or two).
Old 08-19-2007, 09:55 AM   #27
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtpocket2

So if they are adding fuel to the exhaust could they be trashing the turbo's? Maybe the story about back ordered turbos is true. It sounds as if they would be putting alot of extra strain from heat amd soot build up on the turbo. I dont think the turbo's were designed as jet turbines. Maybe there has been a design change in them that helps these problems. Doubt Cummins/Dodge is going to advertise that. It would cause a rush of people demanding new turbo's.
I believe the Dodge has had the 3rd injection event since the 04.5 model. It's a light/small injection as the exhaust valve begins to open, I think. The purpose is to raise the exhaust temp.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:05 AM   #28
azranger
Established Member

M.O.C. #7203
Steve:
Thanks for the tip on how to access the "check engine" computer codes. I tried it on my 06 3500 and it worked just like you described. I got dashes then "Done" when I ran the diagnostic. However, I had a "check engine" light appear for a short time at just under the 5,000 mile mark last month. It was while we were in the mountains in northern Arizona with no Dodge dealer nearby so I just ignored it after it disappeared. Any thoughts as to why there would not be a problem code record for this event?
azranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:34 AM   #29
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Azranger, I got your PM and replied. Basically, the code is set when a sender, for example, gets a bad read or sends info outside the acceptable threshhold. When that same sender has sent acceptable information four times in a row, the check engine light is cleared. I assume but do not know for positive that the code is probably cleared at the same time. There may be certain codes that are retained for one reason or another. I've read that to see the codes you first need to set the odometer to "trip" and other places say that's not necessary.

Skypilot, is that one of the techs out at Dick Edwards Ford? I bought my last three Ford trucks from Jim Jacobia at Dick Edwards. If you happen to see Jim, tell him 'hi' for me.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:53 AM   #30
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Steve - It is and I haven't had a chance to talk to him in some time. Hope he will open up some -- last time he hadn't had much experience (other than formal training) on them so no practical experience to speak of on the new engines and DPR. Now that they've been out awhile hopefully he will have some good information, and more importantly, be willing (and able) to share. I've made a note about Jim and will hopefully remember I have it in my wallet when I visit.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:29 PM   #31
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Well I have an 07 6.7 with3,500 mile on it so far. no problems at all, I have 4.10s so at 1700 rpm I'm doing 62 mph.

Steve if you want more range you might want to do what I did and that was to replace the stock fuel tank with a 56 gal from Transfer Flow. You can't even tell it on the truck.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:20 AM   #32
TubensMA

M.O.C. #6959
Send a message via Yahoo to TubensMA
I had the same problem.
Took it to the dealer twice before it got fixed.
It first happened at about 1k miles.
I have less than 5k miles on it still, signed for it in june.
I have not had the light come on for at least
1k miles. seems OK now.

Which is good because this is an awesome truck.
TubensMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:33 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We test drove all three of the diesel trucks as close to the same configuration that we could come all within the same week.. Sorry guys but that 6.7 Cummins puts the others to shame.Now I could not really tell the difference between the new Ford and the Chevy (not towing of course) .. I drove the Dodge last and when I punched it same as the others..well it was impressive..Unfortunatly they do not make a truck in the configuration we need...and..the Dodge interior leaves a bit to be desired. I still say,, Cummins motor in a Ford F-350 with the Allison xmittion would be THE TRUCK...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:11 PM   #34
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Rich I hear ya brother. You hit the nail on the head!
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:52 PM   #35
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
My brothers been telling me the same for years -- he works for Ford during the Winter, think he is still leading fishing and hunting trips up north the rest of the year. Last I saw him several years ago, he made ZZTop look like HarraKrisna followers. Regardless, the cummins is a wonderful engine -- see a lot of posts I agree with -- bought the cummins, it came wrapped in a Dodge
Old 08-23-2007, 05:12 PM   #36
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Rich - I think you have the correct recipe... Now to get a bowl and mix all the items togeather..... That 6.7 is an impressive machine!!!!!!! Like you said to bad the ford interior doesn't come with it. Now the jury is still out on that NEW 6 apeed tranny that Dodge came out it. It is designed to give the Allison a run for it's money. It would be nice if the Cummins was indeed matched with a good Tranny. Katy BAR THE DOORS. What every you decide Rich. If you would lay out your snail mail address or send it by PM, I would send you $10.00 dollars to help you make the decision!!!!!! HO HO HO my friend John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:18 PM   #37
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
I said when I bought the 04.5 dodge and again with the 07, if I could have the ford body with the chevy interior and cummins with the allison I would buy it. Can't find anybody to build it though. I have also said "bought the cummins, it came wrapped in a Dodge ". The light has not come on again and I have put an additional 1,000 miles on it. Hopefully it is fixed. Anybody else notice the 5.9 seems to pull harder than the new motors? Pulling a 3000 lb boat to branson this week it seems sluggish up the hills. It would actually lose about 5 mph then down shift but no incerease in speed. The only way I could get it to accelerate is to manually shift down to 4th then it would start to pull. If you were going uphill and floored it it would not downshift or pickup speed. Maybe I have more problems than just a check engine light. I know for a fact my old truck pulling the same boat would accelerate up any hill I wanted it to with ease. I am not sold on the new transmission yet. When towing the camper in tow/haul mode today I thought I was going to be sick. I was in traffic on the highway going between 40 and 50 mph and it would keep hunting for the right gear. I finally manually downshifted and left it in 4th and it smoothed out a little. The transmission is great for slowing you down on an off ramp and combined with the exhaust brake will stop anything with little effort. But when it downshifts you know it. My wife's soda was splashing out of the cup. Wondering what all the slamming of gears is going to do to the drive train? Anybody else think it tries to get to 6th gear too quick? I have the 3?? not the 410's.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:28 AM   #38
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John, so far I am very, very impressed with the new Dodge automatic transmission.

I agree the Dodge flat blows away everything else, engine wise. In my opinion and experience, anyhow. And I agree the interior is not as current and nice and plush as the others, even in our top of the line Laramie. But, the way it tows this Montana more than makes up for it in my opinion. I have been a Ford guy for a long time and loved the new Ford. But I'm leery of a first year engine. After driving the Ford, GMC, and Dodge I had to decide between all the extra luxuries of the new Ford and the towing prowess and longevity of the Cummins engine. Interesting, my auto insurance on the truck on this 2007.5 Dodge is about $40/ year less than my 2005 Ford and this Dodge's retail price is $10k more than the 2005 Ford was. I am not sure why the difference.

I sure do miss those reverse sensors, though. That's something I'd really like to see Dodge offer.

Richfaa, the Dodge QuadCab (crew cab not as big as the megacab and slightly smalelr than the Ford and Chevy) comes in a longbed dually. And about %5k or $6k cheaper than the MegaCab.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #39
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
You can buy backup sensors after market, just have to install them.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote