Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2007, 08:36 AM   #1
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
2 vs. 4 wheel drive

am considering trading our 2 wheel drive for a 4 wheel drive- what are there pros and cons while towing ? does low range help or hinder in hilly territory ? any comments will be appreciated- Don

DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:50 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Don,

Low range doesn't buy you anything on the hills - it's too low and would probably tear it up with the weight of the Monty on the back. No advantage there.

As far as traction, I think the 2WD with over a ton setting on the rear hitch is probably just as effective as the 4WD on ice or slippery roads. 2WD probably rides better, and probably gets better mileage.

To me - it's what you like to do with the truck when not towing. Our 4WD is great for Colorado weather, launching the boat, or even a nice off-road tour. It's not a Jeep, but it will go quite a few places.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
As a long-time 4WD owner, I may be a little biased, but I will give you my opinion. If you are staying with the diesel then for the few extra dollars I believe you should strongly consider the 4WD. The towing is really not any different, other than as Brad says the ride may be a little less stiff. However, the peace of mind in wet grass or muddy terrain to me is worth it. The diesel engine typically makes for a very light-weight rear-end effect without a load. I have actually had to go to 4WD in our front yard before during the Spring thaws because of the weight on the front digging in. Consider also that I am from snow country (not as bad as Brad though). Therefore, as I said before, I would never consider 2WD (please don't berate me MOCers for my opinion). Use your best judgement to figure out if you will ever be in any situations where you believe the 4WD would benefit you.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:09 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you think you will use it, it is a good investment. We never had a 4X4 in all our years of towing /camping and never had a real need for one...however..after spending the winter in Az where almost everywhere is off road our next truck will be 4X4.Helen is a Rock hound and our 4X2 bogged down real easy in the desert.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I've had both and prefer the 4WD. It turns corners better and has helped me back in and pull out of campsites that are wet where my truck and trailer sunk in the mud/grass. I'll never go back to the 2WD. When I pulled up to this one campground the owner asked me if I had a 4WD and he told me great, because he warned me that it was going to be a bear getting in that sit, as the grass was wet and the concrete pad was sitting about 4 inches above ground level. I put it in 4x4 mode and still had a slight problem getting in there. Don't think it would have done it without the 4x4. my 2 cents
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I’m going to let the 2 pics below speak for me…

Theses pics were taken in Vermont just a year ago after we backed into our campsite. Why did I continue backing? I had gotten to a point of no return and according to the forecast things were supposed to be dry for the next few days. Well I guess Mother Nature had different plans as the night before we pulled out it poured and matters got even worse. When hooking up I had sank nearly 4 inches into the mud. The pics above were from backing into the site with much drier conditions. If I hadn’t had 4 wheel drive it would have cost me dearly to get a tow truck out to pull me out of this mess.
I also required 4WD in a campground in northern New York where the grass was wet from a heavy dew. In a Florida campground where the shoulders of the driveway were very sandy. Making the typical wide swing on the way out I got into this sand and again 4WD pulled me through. In a Virginia KOA at the foot of a mountain I needed 4WD just to back a bit upgrade into the campsite.
You can also forget the extra weight of the 5er on the rear axle. When you get in the soft wet stuff more often than not you’ll wished you had a 4X4.
Having the Low Range that comes with a 4X4 is also a giant plus factor. Backing that Monty up the slightest upgrade is 100% easier when you drop the 4X4 into 4 Low. You can back at nearly an idle speed taking a lot of pressure AND HEAT off the tranny.
I could site other examples but I think you are getting the idea. For me, there is no way that I would not have a 4X4. Forget the extra weight, it’s negligible in comparison to the total package. Forget the ride comfort. I have ridden in 2X4s and 1 ton duallies that rode harsher. My GMC is a TRUCK for God’s sake not a Cadillac. If I wanted total ride comfort I’d sell the Monty, the GMC and buy a Caddy
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
My experience is virtually the same as Glen's. I used 4x4 this winter in the Rio Grande Valley. I probable could have gotten out of my site without it but I tore up the landscape much less in 4 x 4. The front suspension is a bit heavier as well and I like that.

While your at it, forget the dually-. But that is a whole other issue :-)
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:51 AM   #8
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I'm with Glenn too. I've had several experiences in damp grass, with 2wd I needed help to get in and out of the sites, since 4wd no problems. Come to think of it, they were all in New York too. Must be something in the ground
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:12 PM   #9
mtkrumm
Established Member

M.O.C. #6641
They still make 2wd trucks? Wouldn't be with out mine. steve
mtkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:26 PM   #10
RailroadMike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5807
If you ever get to the point that you need it....It is more than worth it!!!!!....Mike
RailroadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #11
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
i grew up in wis and now live in florida but i bought 1 2wd truck ,, i had it 9 months and traded it for a 4x4 ,, never again a 2 wd ,, sand , wet grass ,dirt anything go 4 wheel and never spin a tire.. john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #12
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Bubba is a 4x4 because dealer talked me into it. The deal was a flat fee so he had nothing to gain. His arguement had to do with resale -- at least in AZ. After some checking, I had to agree. Now that we have it, I am ever so glad. The extra margin in difficult situations is well worth the extra weight and investment.
Just mho. Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #13
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
You lose a couple hundred pounds of towing capacity with a 4wd due to the extra weight in the front axel what with the differential and all. However, all of my vehicles that had 4wd as an option have been that - 4wd. Now, I am from snow country (Northern Nevada), but like others have said, the 4wd has a better turning radius, sits closer to level and has an added feature - when the as**ole puckers due to slippery conditions, one can hit a button and hope for the best.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:33 AM   #14
haslcs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6202
i agree with everyone a 4x4 is the only way to go. i do not have one but my next tv will be 4x4. i get stuck if the grass is wet and the front end is not on a hard surface. got stuck backing into a campsite that was mostly grass another camper with a 4x4 came by and hooked up to my fifth wheel and parked it for me.
haslcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:50 AM   #15
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
You don't need the 4 wheel drive that often but when you do it is priceless. You will love the low gear when backing into a tight space.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:02 PM   #16
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Looks like I'm the lone dissenter here. I'm on truck number seven (all pleasure, not business), never had a 4wd, never been in a situation where I would have needed 4wd, therefore, even if I'd had a 4wd...it never would have been used. With a 4wd you have the added cost ($3500 - $4000 for GM), added weight...thus lower towing capacity, cargo capacity, and mpg, added maintenance, and a rougher ride (if possible). Sure "you get some money back at trade in" you paid lots more for it, you should get some of it back.

This is a purely personal choice item...I've never had a need for it, and don't see a need in the future.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:10 PM   #17
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Bert, I agree we have owned 5 different 4 x 4 and never used them. However if your going to be in snow country you will need a 4 x 4 if you are using a dually. Since going full time we really try not to be in snow country. Our last 3500 1 ton dually was a 4 x 4 and we didn't use it, but we sure had a lot of front tire wear. Good Luck on your choice... GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:32 PM   #18
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Well Bert Your not the only one, I to have a 2wd. HOWEVER most of my friends have 4X4's - Just in case I need one, I also keep an extra cold can of beer as a bribe!!!! Just in case.. Up to this point I have never been in a spot that I needed it. There have been a few time's I did avoid a problem by just looking over the site and checking weather before hand. Not saying I will never get stuck, Just hope my friends (MudChief) (OZZ) are around when I do. ha ha John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:48 PM   #19
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I have a 2x4 last TV was a 4x4 went to 2x4 for several reasons, the ride, the maintance and cost. My TV has posi-traction which helps, that being said I have had to be pulled out once in the desert, soft sand. Never used it on my last 5'er, weighed half as much as the Monty. That being said still love the ride of the 2x4.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:43 PM   #20
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've had both and prefer the 4-wheel drive. A couple of 2-wheel drive trucks got stuck in Stockton, CA at the fairgrounds and there wasn't a 2-wheel drive truck that could pull them out. My 4-wheel drive truck did, though. I don't notice any diminished mileage per gallon with my 4-wheel drive over my 2-wheel drive. There may be a difference but I haven't noticed it. However, if you drove in 4-wheel drive all the time, then your mileage would go in the dumper.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote